GDT: Wings vs tb 7:30 pm et 3/14/19

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
We have a long trend of having a pair of underachieving players that always leave you wanting more.

1) Val Filppula and Jiri Hudler - decent always wanted more

2) Gus Nyquist and Tomas Tatar - decent always wanted more

3) AA and Anthony Mantha - yadda yadda yadda

This trend of having a pair of players like this needs to end.

All of these players were good hockey players? Bizarre take.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
How many teams passed on Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Lidstrom, Fedorov?
And that would have been a perfectly fine response. But "lol Tampa secondary market" is a pathetic retort.

Also, it's not like people didn't know Kucherov was going to be good. They did. They were scared because he was Russian. But if you have THREE picks before he was taken (and no other team did) then take a shot. And it would be one thing if you got at least ONE NHL caliber player but we didn't even do that.

Yeah, it's just one example. Yeah you can do that with other picks too. But it does speak to a drafting failure to strike out 3 times in a row with relatively high picks when a known player like that was on the table.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
And that would have been a perfectly fine response. But "lol Tampa secondary market" is a pathetic retort.

Also, it's not like people didn't know Kucherov was going to be good. They did. They were scared because he was Russian. But if you have THREE picks before he was taken (and no other team did) then take a shot. And it would be one thing if you got at least ONE NHL caliber player but we didn't even do that.

Yeah, it's just one example. Yeah you can do that with other picks too. But it does speak to a drafting failure to strike out 3 times in a row with relatively high picks when a known player like that was on the table.
Trading up makes no sense at all, you never know how players will develop. If you have more pics you have more chance to get great player

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
All of these players were good hockey players? Bizarre take.

I think he's saying that those are pairs of good players who by either their start in the league, their draft pedigree, or a breakout season that they had, you thought were to become great.

Like Fil broke out with 66 points... and never approached that again. Hudler was alright for us and then got 70 in Calgary.

Nyquist Explosion happened and you thought he could be a superstar. Tatar got 26 goals or something and you thought there might be more.

He's saying that instead of those guys who all never took the next step to become great, he wants a pair who do.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012

I mean, yes... but also, if Kucherov never comes to America and Tomas Jurco goes to Tampa and turns out to be a superstud, you'd be saying the same thing. Valeri Nichuskin was thought to be a big time prospect, but he flamed out hard and has yo-yo'd over the Pacific Ocean. Pavel Brendl was a #4OA and he was straight garbage.

It's not a drafting "failure" that the Wings didn't roll the dice on Kucherov. Missed opporunity, sure. But it doesn't speak to a failure in their process. They could easily have given him a shot. It was a mistake to not do so. It was also a mistake to take Tom McCollum over Roman Josi. You can't go back and bemoan players missed because you're using information that they didn't have at the time.

Squirrel in the Hole

Be the best squirrel in the hole
Feb 18, 2004
Sydney
Loved what I saw from Zadina. He looks like a player for sure. I don't think we'll be nearly as bad next year, still very bad, but this is definitely out bottomed out season.
Maybe it was just yesterday, but I wasn't that impressed. He doesn't seem particularly fast and they were feeding him for slapshots (a la Pookie and Frk). Maybe it was because he was playing on the "Talent Vampire" line (Vanek and Neilsen)

Squirrel in the Hole

Be the best squirrel in the hole
Feb 18, 2004
Sydney
I come in peace. Gang, you're on your way with the rebuild, that we can see. Good luck when you sign Stevie Y. and have fun watching him rebuild. I'd rather have you guys as a rivalry than Toronto any day.
Thanks mate. Your boys kept their cool and looked good. Hope you get the Cup this year

Reactions: DaBolts

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad