GDT: Wings vs tb 7:30 pm et 3/14/19

CaptainZetterberg40

Nov 2, 2014
One more thing, I really like Thomas Vanek as a presence for this team. One weird hope I have is that we can hire him as a member behind the bench in some capacity. He has a fantastic mind for the game and has great perspective for things on and off the ice. I like how he mentioned to the media that alot is at stake for players and in other words to take nothing for granted. The moment you think you can coast on through and plan golf trips early is the moment reality will hit you hard. At the same time, 50 percent of the blame goes to the minds instructing them. That is why the wings aren't a one sided problem (not that anyone ever said it was) and I hope management understands that and acts under that premise.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016

So what, every team including Detroit, missed out on Zetterberg and Datsyuk and we all know what they did. Every team is going to get lucky and get players who dominate that were overlooked by everyone else!

I had a tremendous feeling we were going to lose the game, even when it was 2-0, because after that, Tampa was just clearly better than us. They have the puck most of the time, and we are so very thin in talent. I think we actually played well, but we are simply outmatched by Tampa, and no Larkin in the lineup only makes it worse. I was hoping we would win this game, if only to make it harder for TB to get near our 62 Win record, which looks like the may just tie or even beat, as I don't really want them to do well. If they didn't have Stevie these past 8+ years, I would be full on against them, as before he got there, I never cared for the Tampa Bay Lightning. Also, a small handful of their teams fans on here, are downright, cocky and obnoxious in their dominance of us. Reality is, TB has only done well against us, now that we are a weak/weaker team, and we still play them pretty well. Can't wait until we are back to winning a lot, and shut a few of them up!

Mijatovic

Jan 23, 2014
Western Australia
Mantha needs a fresh start somewhere else. His effort tonight was pathetic. For me I’ve come to the conclusion that he has all the skill, but lacks the mental/drive to be the player he could be. I’d like to see a trade this off-season
Some of us picked that in his first year. Still continues to show the same. He will never be more than a 25/50 player because he doesnt have the drive or heart.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
That's.... a really lame position.

You're going to totally ignore that we took 3 guys who aren't even in the NHL while passing up the league's leading scorer because Tampa is in a non-hockey market.

Imagine being that unable to do some introspection and self-criticism of your team that you use complete non-sequiturs to defend it.
Every team in the league gets draft hits that other team's pass over. It's hardly anything worth bragging about.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Some of us picked that in his first year. Still continues to show the same. He will never be more than a 25/50 player because he doesn't have the drive or heart.

Yeah, I agree with this, if he had even a little more drive he could be a very good player. It is weird to me, as he is capable of getting really fired up, when players do things that piss him off, that you would think that kind of player would say screw you to the other team and dominate, but he doens't seem to want to be a driver, he wants to ride the bus.

Mijatovic

Jan 23, 2014
Western Australia
It is weird to me, as he is capable of getting really fired up, when players do things that piss him off, that you would think that kind of player would say screw you to the other team and dominate, but he doens't seem to want to be a driver, he wants to ride the bus.
100%. Seen it on the very rare occasion he gets miffed. He will just go beast mode and control a game and drive through checks no troubles. Rest of the time, he shows that limp wristed effort we saw at the end where he thought about trying to the stop the EN attempt.

Reactions: Oddbob

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
We have a long trend of having a pair of underachieving players that always leave you wanting more.

1) Val Filppula and Jiri Hudler - decent always wanted more

2) Gus Nyquist and Tomas Tatar - decent always wanted more

3) AA and Anthony Mantha - yadda yadda yadda

This trend of having a pair of players like this needs to end.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
That's.... a really lame position.

You're going to totally ignore that we took 3 guys who aren't even in the NHL while passing up the league's leading scorer because Tampa is in a non-hockey market.

Imagine being that unable to do some introspection and self-criticism of your team that you use complete non-sequiturs to defend it.

It’s a lame comment overall but it’s not a lame thing to call out a dumb twitter post like that.

How many teams passed on Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Lidstrom, Fedorov?

How many game-changers has Tampa passed on? DeAngelo over Pasta, Koekkoek over half a dozen big names, Brett Connolly over a dozen big names, Drouin over a dozen better, Spencer and Stephens in one round over heaps of talent, etc.

And the worst part about this comment overall is that this was peak Russian scare and a lot of teams thought Kucherov might not come over to NA at all.

Just a cherry-picking taunt if you ask me.

Electric Eric

#91 To the Rafters!
Feb 10, 2014
Portland -> Netherlands
How many game-changers has Tampa passed on? DeAngelo over Pasta, Koekkoek over half a dozen big names, Brett Connolly over a dozen big names, Drouin over a dozen better, Spencer and Stephens in one round over heaps of talent, etc.

And the worst part about this comment overall is that this was peak Russian scare and a lot of teams thought Kucherov might not come over to NA at all.
It's an interesting mental exercise to think how there would be some interesting changes to some teams if Tampa had drafted Seth Jones.

YpsiWings

Feb 5, 2016
We have a long trend of having a pair of underachieving players that always leave you wanting more.

1) Val Filppula and Jiri Hudler - decent always wanted more

2) Gus Nyquist and Tomas Tatar - decent always wanted more

3) AA and Anthony Mantha - yadda yadda yadda

This trend of having a pair of players like this needs to end.

The thing all of those players have in common is they are excellent passengers, not line drivers. Trust me, I liked all of them but it’s not hard to see the issues. Hudler couldn’t skate, Filppula hated the middle of the ice, Tatar and Nyquist needed space etc...

AA is a one dimensional wing, and the book is still out on Mantha. It is difficult to judge players when the roster is devoid of elite talent, if Tatar and Nyquist were only asked to be second line wings I really doubt anyone would be disappointed.

Titan6lie

Mar 11, 2019
I know people hate the Vanek signing but he has been pretty important in the dressing room along with Kronwall in telling it like it is and they mention him by name a lot in terms of some of these harder messages. I really appreciate that, I wish he could have brought more offense, he has been decent when healthy but the pace of the league is such a problem for him now at times. Still I can see why the front office and dressing room really likes the guy. He is a really solid pro in my opinion and his offensive IQ still flashes amazing at times.

I think this might be it, but I have really enjoyed having him in Detroit both times. Quality player and person, hope the young Wings really listen to him for the last 12 games.
Likely a quality player and person but made his way into the NHL with soft hands and a great scoring touch. Watches the pre-game broadcast and found it interesting that he was advising the young guys to put in a full effort to ensure that they've got a job next year. Way I see it Vanek doesn't ever back check and has never been known to be a good two-way player his whole career. I just don't feel that this is the guy to be a leader and example for young guys when we've had a lot of games where the efforts has questionable. But if anybody's effort is questionable I got to say it's Vanek.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
100%. Seen it on the very rare occasion he gets miffed. He will just go beast mode and control a game and drive through checks no troubles. Rest of the time, he shows that limp wristed effort we saw at the end where he thought about trying to the stop the EN attempt.

Honestly, I’ve never seen Mantha dominate or control a game. Whenever I see game threads and people start saying he’s going beast mode, taking over, etc, all I see is a guy who is more engaged and physical but rarely if ever have I seen it come along with controlling the ice or the pace of play.

Like I’ve said elsewhere, I think Mantha just isn’t that smart. He seems like an airhead. But I think he’ll improve his hockey IQ through sheer rote play. He’ll keep getting the opportunities to produce so I think once the game is ingrained enough in his mind by force of repetition, his lack of IQ won’t be as much of a factor. It’s a theory, anyway.

avssuc

Hockey is for everyone!
May 1, 2016
Gulf Coast
I come in peace. Gang, you're on your way with the rebuild, that we can see. Good luck when you sign Stevie Y. and have fun watching him rebuild. I'd rather have you guys as a rivalry than Toronto any day.

You can't have a rivalry with garbage... not a good one anyway...

Put that rivalry talk on the shelf for about 5 years, probably around when age and contracts start really dragging Tampa down (think 2013 Wings). Also, it's easy to not want to match against Toronto, they are close to being great. Tampa's window is now with the next couple years and Toronto might just play spoiler while it's open.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
So what, every team including Detroit, missed out on Zetterberg and Datsyuk and we all know what they did. Every team is going to get lucky and get players who dominate that were overlooked by everyone else!

I had a tremendous feeling we were going to lose the game, even when it was 2-0, because after that, Tampa was just clearly better than us. They have the puck most of the time, and we are so very thin in talent. I think we actually played well, but we are simply outmatched by Tampa, and no Larkin in the lineup only makes it worse. I was hoping we would win this game, if only to make it harder for TB to get near our 62 Win record, which looks like the may just tie or even beat, as I don't really want them to do well. If they didn't have Stevie these past 8+ years, I would be full on against them, as before he got there, I never cared for the Tampa Bay Lightning. Also, a small handful of their teams fans on here, are downright, cocky and obnoxious in their dominance of us. Reality is, TB has only done well against us, now that we are a weak/weaker team, and we still play them pretty well. Can't wait until we are back to winning a lot, and shut a few of them up!

Yeah, but a lot of people knew Kucherov would be a good one. I sure as hell did. Even at the time I knew the so-called Russian factor was overblown as hell. Tampa knew to shoot their shot.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Loved what I saw from Zadina. He looks like a player for sure. I don't think we'll be nearly as bad next year, still very bad, but this is definitely out bottomed out season.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
I can see them being as bad. They are very thin on depth, and any injury, or regression, or failure to progress will lead to similar results as this season.

Yeah, maybe. I shouldn't have spoken so definitively. I definitely think they're more of a bottom 5-8 team next year as opposed to a bottom 3 team, which I guess is pedantic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad