GDT: Wings vs sabres 7:00 pm et 4/6/19 last game

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
If Kronwall is retiring I think it leaves us scrambling to try to find a new number one defender. We never found a replacement for Lidstrom. Of course, you can't really replace a guy like Lidstrom, but the truth is we don't have a replacement in place for Kronwall either.

As old as he is, he was still better than a number of younger guys on the roster this season. I'd take another year of him over another from Witkowski or Ericsson, and I don't feel like McIlrath or Chelios are suitable replacements. McIlrath just isn't NHL caliber except for his ability to fight. Chelios didn't impress me a lot yet either.
Green is currently our 1D not Kronwall....

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
Nick wears the "A." But none of those guys, not Green or Kronwall or Hronek are guys who I see as true "number one" defenders. I don't want to sell Hronek short though, he could get a lot better.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Franzen has a brain injury, it's not quite the same thing.

It's probably actually Dekeyser. But between injuries and general up and down play there really isn't a clear #1 Dman.
Kronwall could get a concussion next year. He has nothing to prove. Won a cup. The only reason to come back is for more money. We are one of the worst teams in the league...

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Kronwall could get a concussion next year. He has nothing to prove. Won a cup. The only reason to come back is for more money. We are one of the worst teams in the league...
Not concerned about concussion, he doesn't have a history like Franzen. If that was the concern, then we'd want Green to retire because he's had a few. I'm more concerned about his knees, life sucks when you can't walk. I have 2 bad knees.

Kronwall has stated that he wants to hit 1000 games in an interview. Plus it's hard for people to give up a profession. I want him to retire, but I won't be mad if he comes back. The team will suck next year with or without him.

RudeAJV

Feb 7, 2018
No, it wasn't tough to see Z go (for example). It was tough to see him not be the player he used to be, which had been the case for a few years already.
All players age and regress, it’s just some find a way to be valuable on good teams. Z, bless his heart, stuck around for two absolutely brutal years. I just wish we could have iced a team worthy of his last couple years. Based on your comments, though, I don’t get the feeling you’re the sentimental type.

Larkin2AA

Apr 21, 2016
Rochester Hills, MI
No, it wasn't tough to see Z go (for example). It was tough to see him not be the player he used to be, which had been the case for a few years already.

Both still apply. Kronwall was a great player for the wings and I enjoyed him and the game he brought. Yeah I wish I would watch him in 08 again, but I can’t.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Not concerned about concussion, he doesn't have a history like Franzen. If that was the concern, then we'd want Green to retire because he's had a few. I'm more concerned about his knees, life sucks when you can't walk. I have 2 bad knees.

Kronwall has stated that he wants to hit 1000 games in an interview. Plus it's hard for people to give up a profession. I want him to retire, but I won't be mad if he comes back. The team will suck next year with or without him.
How many games is he at right now?

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl

Or more likely for the love of the game. He's an asset no matter how you try to slice it. If he wants to 1up, you sign him!

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
5 washed up hockey players, a terrible GM and a pizza place. Catch it before it's canceled this fall!
Holland, Frk, Abdelkader, Helm, Witkowski, and Ericsson too. Slice it up like a pizza and share it, boys!

That Holland is being thrown in with that lot and these comments is fairly embarrassing. Guy is a HHOF and helped contribute to 3 decades of very good Red Wings hockey... I know some of you don't care and won't care but it is this kind of run at Holland that makes me roll my eyes and think of certain portions of our fan-base are as disgraceful as New York Yankee fans... I get we all have different views on things, but man for what he has given to this organization this is a low blow for me even if meant in jest and I really don't think it is anyway.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->