GDT: Wings vs preds 1/4/19 7:30 pm est

lhsgolf19

Oct 4, 2016
Birmingham, MI
Outside of Larkin... Man we have 2 really good young Defensemen to build around on that backend... Since he has come back up #17 has looked like a completely different player (except for basically 1 game), which is awesome.

Reactions: Ulysses31

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Outside of Larkin... Man we have 2 really good young Defensemen to build around on that backend... Since he has come back up #17 has looked like a completely different player (except for basically 1 game), which is awesome.

This is the guy you see when he finishes seasons. Glad to see him get his game on track. Hopefully we can figure how to get him out of the gate better next season.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
He absolutely deserves it, but things could get ugly leading up to and after the deadline. Would hate for him to have to formally shoulder the load as the season winds down.
Things are already ugly. Give him the C.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I would also like to point out that Larkin leads the team in PIM

I keep saying this is the area I want him to work on the most. But when you play at his pace I can see that as some of the reason behind a few of them. But Barkov plays with a big engine and basically never takes penalties. He is too valuable to be in the box at this point, he needs to start working on this.

CaptainZetterberg40

Nov 2, 2014
Thomas Vanek is Bradley Cooper from the bridge of the nose up.

This is going to sound really strange, but while I was watching the game, my mom stopped dead in her tracks during the vanek post game interview and said, "just at a quick glance, that looks like Bradley Cooper"! I said no way. But alas, I may be the one who's wrong here lol.

CaptainZetterberg40

Nov 2, 2014
Also, Larkin is our future great! He is the embodiment of how will propels you forward. I don't know how he does it, but he physically looks so dominant out there. When everyone else is put of breath, his engine is still going. His teammates better hire his strength and conditioning coach over the summer because Larkin looks very videogame like out there quite often.

What a game by Mantha too, he played well. The way he was expected to from us fans, staff and teammates and was given the recognition he deserved. Honest guys, this version looked like 16/17 early season Mantha where he was contributing to possession and zone time. Nice passes too. Won't dog him for that pass to vanek because he knows what he did, as Mickey told us. This version of Mantha on average over the course of a full season is a 55-65 point player. Not every player can be that elite 80 point guy, and as much i want him to be that i dont think he ever will be. But make no mistake, every well built team needs a Mantha.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
This is going to sound really strange, but while I was watching the game, my mom stopped dead in her tracks during the vanek post game interview and said, "just at a quick glance, that looks like Bradley Cooper"! I said no way. But alas, I may be the one who's wrong here lol.

Lol that’s crazy. Must’ve been something about the lighting/angle/hat cause Ive never noticed a resemblance before.

Reactions: CaptainZetterberg40

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
I keep saying this is the area I want him to work on the most. But when you play at his pace I can see that as some of the reason behind a few of them. But Barkov plays with a big engine and basically never takes penalties. He is too valuable to be in the box at this point, he needs to start working on this.
I think once our rebuild is near complete, he will reduce his PIM's as he'll be surrounded by more & better talent. Right now he's mostly a 1-man army with a few foot soldiers in tow.

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
To me, that was one of the best and most entertaining games we played all season. I started in blase mode, indifferent as to whether the team won or lost and just wanting the kids to impress, but by the third period I was all in for the win and was as loud as I've been all season when D-Boss popped that OT backhander past Rinne.

A few comments on the game:
Watson is a dirt bag.
Mantha looked really, really good his first game back, I'm surprised how much I started liking his line with Nielsen and Vanek as the game went on.
D-Boss is clutch, nothing beats an overtime Snip Show and he's starting to score them like crazy. 18 goals, 4 of them game winners, that's almost a quarter of his goals this year!
The lines seem balanced, I like the make-up of these lines anyways and hope that Blash stays with them - With the exception of Atahasiou, the top sixers were playing in the top six, the bottom sixers were in the bottom six, such a crazy concept.
Power play is a total momentum killer, it's beyond bad right now.
But for Rinne this game might have been a blow out; I don't think we dominated them, but we outplayed them.
Congrats to the boys on a well deserved victory. Congrats to Vanek on his 1,000th game.

Last edited:

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
Season Motto:

"Get it to overtime and get Larkin on the ice"

!

I lol’d.

I love Larkin man. He’s nearly a PPG this season. Which might I add, I said he was in the bold predictions thread - some laughed at me.

And Mantha was impressive tonight. I still love him too and have big expectations for him next season.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Can he just have the C already? I get the honor for Z at the moment, but like its Larkin's team

Has less to do with respect for Z and more to do with respect for Kronwall.

Z is done. They're not holding up the C for three years in respect for a formality of a contract that he was realistically never going to play out.

But Kronwall only has one year left. They're not going to give the C to a 22 year old when a guy who's been with the team for 15 years is obviously still the locker room leader. The only reason Kronwall didn't officially get the title is because he's done at the end of the year.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
Things are already ugly. Give him the C.
I'm totally fine with letting Kronner ride of into the sunset and then give Larkin the C.

If it helps, I told my wife that they should give him the C already, but I thought about it more and it's really only for the rest of the season and I'm sure everyone on the team already thinks of him as the Captain, especially since he has done so much for the team this year, already.

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
I think Hronny at first needs time to adjust to the speed of whatever level he is playing (CHL, AHL, NHL) and the newness of his teammates. I suspect this won't be a problem in the future

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad