GDT: Wings vs pens 7:30 pm et 4/2/19

pz29

Jun 18, 2015
Yeah maybe, and also the young guys are trying to prove they belong, and are skating harder than some on the playoff teams we have been playing. Boston and Pittsburgh in particular have no excuse for losing to us, in my opinion, they simply didn't play hard enough.
The soccer great Pele once said; "Every team plays only as well as their opponent allows."

Reactions: TheOtherOne

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
While the diminishing draft odds are a frustration, recent results are a fairer reflection of this team in terms of overall record. We've had so many one goal losses this year and so many injuries, that despite a lack of elite takent, aren't really a lottery favourite team. (Neither are Buffalo or LA for that matter in all honesty).

We simply can't be compared to Ottowa or NJ who just have weak rosters as things stand.

Also, it's not like we are just beating the dead teams. Some recent opponents have had playoff aspirations or seedlings to play for.

While the top two look a few steps ahead, neither are McDavid & Matthews or Crosby or Ovi. I think in that context, it's worth less favourable draft odds to see the kids pick up and carry this team of late, particularly the improvements in those with questions hanging over their heads. Certainly playing with two puck hounds like Larkin and Bert seems to open up things for Mantha to use his skill...and that line has been the best in the NHL over the last fortnight, which is doubly impressive. Hronek stepping up and Bowey showing his risk reward style can be of worth and that his acquisition may have been shrewd is aldo if comfort.

Perhaps more importantly, it probably removes any lingering doubts in management about the expendability of pieces like Vanek, Abby, Daley, Ericsson and to a degree Nielsen (who I think is still useful), meaning any of our kids or summer draftees that show much will get a chance quicker.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
While the diminishing draft odds are a frustration, recent results are a fairer reflection of this team in terms of overall record. We've had so many one goal losses this year and so many injuries, that despite a lack of elite takent, aren't really a lottery favourite team. (Neither are Buffalo or LA for that matter in all honesty).

We simply can't be compared to Ottowa or NJ who just have weak rosters as things stand.

Also, it's not like we are just beating the dead teams. Some recent opponents have had playoff aspirations or seedlings to play for.

While the top two look a few steps ahead, neither are McDavid & Matthews or Crosby or Ovi. I think in that context, it's worth less favourable draft odds to see the kids pick up and carry this team of late, particularly the improvements in those with questions hanging over their heads. Certainly playing with two puck hounds like Larkin and Bert seems to open up things for Mantha to use his skill...and that line has been the best in the NHL over the last fortnight, which is doubly impressive. Hronek stepping up and Bowey showing his risk reward style can be of worth and that his acquisition may have been shrewd is aldo if comfort.

Perhaps more importantly, it probably removes any lingering doubts in management about the expendability of pieces like Vanek, Abby, Daley, Ericsson and to a degree Nielsen (who I think is still useful), meaning any of our kids or summer draftees that show much will get a chance quicker.

I don’t think our team is any better than New Jersey’s. It certainly doesn’t help that they’ve been without Hall for substantial portions of the season.

iDangleDangle

We Like Our Team
Jan 2, 2014
A bar
Here’s the question that needs to be answered.

Put the rest of the season behind us...when do we start to believe that this is more than a fluke?

Sabres had a 10 game winning streak this season too. This might end up meaning nothing in the grand scheme of things. Especially since it's taking place on a pretty bonkers run by few individuals.

Out blueline is gonna suck next year no matter what.

But the first line is looking great! Hopefully it works next season too.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
even if Pittsburgh lost both of their remaining games they would still also need Montreal to avoid losing either of their remaining games in regulation,AND Columbus to avoid losing either of their remaining games in regulation,AND Carolina to pick up 2 more points in their two remaining games to miss the Playoffs
Thanks, next tell me Santa Claus isn't real.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
It's just disgusting they didnt play this hard from the beginning
It's not just about playing hard.

They've hopefully developed as players over the course of an NHL season and developed chemistry as teammates. And it doesn't hurt that they've been playing some teams who are looking ahead to the playoffs and maybe not so much the game in front of them.

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
I don’t think our team is any better than New Jersey’s. It certainly doesn’t help that they’ve been without Hall for substantial portions of the season.
True, Hall is a top top player. But I don't see much else there to be honest. A lot of players who over-achieved last year and have reverted to the mean. I'm not suggesting we're much better then them, but our weakest players are mostly those likely to depart first, and for me we have a better range of weapons. Of course, Hall is massive for them, but he's had a lot of injuries

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Can we just start next season right now? This team is having so much fun.

Add Hughes and I don't think they immediately make the playoffs, but you suddenly have a group of that could be a trade or two away from being a noise maker. Goodness I can't stress enough how much Hughes on a line with Larkin would elevate the talent on this team.

This is exactly what we all wanted to see from our young group. Outside of Larkin we don't have a top talent, but it's coming together better than I expected.

Please oh please lottery God's hear my prayer.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Add Hughes and I don't think they immediately make the playoffs, but you suddenly have a group of that could be a trade or two away from being a noise maker. Goodness I can't stress enough how much Hughes on a line with Larkin would elevate the talent on this team.

This is exactly what we all wanted to see from our young group. Outside of Larkin we don't have a top talent, but it's coming together better than I expected.

Please oh please lottery God's hear my prayer.
We need someone like a Dahlin over Hughes

Reactions: Sentinel

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
We need someone like a Dahlin over Hughes

Sounds good. But Hughes is the best player of this draft. And he'd immediately elevate this team.

The Wings still need a lot of work and luck. But they feel closer today than they have in years. Getting a top player like Hughes accelerates those efforts. Missing out on that top talent will create more urgency to address needs via trade and free agency, both difficult to rely on.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Sounds good. But Hughes is the best player of this draft. And he'd immediately elevate this team.

The Wings still need a lot of work and luck. But they feel closer today than they have in years. Getting a top player like Hughes accelerates those efforts. Missing out on that top talent will create more urgency to address needs via trade and free agency, both difficult to rely on.
True but we have a lot of forwards and all the bad ones are unmovable. We probably will have to trade one of our young core forwards for D help

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->