GDT: Wings vs pens 7:30 pm et 4/2/19

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
How are we not able to tank? We just won 6 in a row. We couldn't do that all season. I'm glad it's only the kids doin though. Makes up for a bright future at least.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
I don't even know what to say anymore. How can a team with Bowey, Hicketts, Chelios and McIlrath on D win? This defies logic....As frustrating as it is for the fans who are all abord the tank train, it is encouraging to see. This line of Bert-Larkin-Mantha is actually amazing. I'm gonna say it.......they will lead us to a playoff berth next season.

Mantha has got to be the most frustrating player in the league. Last season he was on fire for the first 30 games, then he disappeared. This year he was invisible for the first 40 games, and now all of a sudden he looks like a 40 goal scorer again....With consistency, he could honestly hit 40 goals next year. The problem is he could also score 21 next year and I wouldn't be shocked.

I dunno, maybe this is our year to win the lottery. As biased as I am, I think we deserve it at this point.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I don't even know what to say anymore. How can a team with Bowey, Hicketts, Chelios and McIlrath on D win? This defies logic....
Bowey has been ok though he seems to forget he's a defenseman at times. Also, you forgot Witter and he's probably the worst of the bunch.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
I've never wanted anything in my life as much as I want this ridiculous lineup to make Crosby miss the playoffs.

even if Pittsburgh lost both of their remaining games they would still also need Montreal to avoid losing either of their remaining games in regulation,AND Columbus to avoid losing either of their remaining games in regulation,AND Carolina to pick up 2 more points in their two remaining games to miss the Playoffs

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
This team is awesome! If only they weren't mathematically out, they could actually make some noise in playoffs.

Hats off to our top line. I haven't seen a line this good since 96-13-40.

Two things we need for next season: consistency and one (preferably two) elite defensemen.

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

It's possible to commit no mistakes and still lose
Nov 2, 2018
deleted
KEwszX

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
even if Pittsburgh lost both of their remaining games they would still also need Montreal to avoid losing either of their remaining games in regulation,AND Columbus to avoid losing either of their remaining games in regulation,AND Carolina to pick up 2 more points in their two remaining games to miss the Playoffs

So...you're saying there's a chance?

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Overpaid veterans coast through the season. Bring in the guys with something to fight for and team wins. Shocker. I hope these guys are rewarded next year. Some guys getting paid that deserve an ass full of splinters from the amount of time they should ride the pine next year.

Reactions: Larkin2AA

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
We have done what could be done to lose, the players in the lineup during this win streak show that. Nothing else could have been done! That blueline is one of the worst on paper I can remember seeing and yet we still win. I believe a lot has to do with the other teams taking us for granted and not playing hard enough to win.

Athana see you later

Feb 9, 2019
I think our transition game has been even more lethal with all these young guys on the back end because they are all much better skaters at this point than what Daley and Ericsson and others are

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
You remember when people were saying, at the start of the season, Bert is too slow for Larkin lol

He has improved his skating and is making decisions even quicker to play faster. He didn't play this fast consistently, he is developing and getting better. That is why you're seeing it now, most said he needed to play a little faster than what it looked like in earlier season experiments, good on Bert for getting there. I think Larkin is really starting to attempt mastering controlling pace of play too, he plays fast but he can slow down everyonce in a while. Change of pace is what MacKinnon uses on guys from time to time too, so I like Larkin incorporating that.

The line looks good, we are certainly keeping it together moving forward I would think.

Last edited:

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
We have done what could be done to lose, the players in the lineup during this win streak show that. Nothing else could have been done! That blueline is one of the worst on paper I can remember seeing and yet we still win. I believe a lot has to do with the other teams taking us for granted and not playing hard enough to win.

You’d think that teams in the hunt would stop taking us for granted. Like tonight we came in on what? A 5 game win streak and winners of 7 of the last 8?

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
You’d think that teams in the hunt would stop taking us for granted. Like tonight we came in on what? A 5 game win streak and winners of 7 of the last 8?

Yeah, but teams that are really good, still do this. We used to do it quite a bit at the end of the season. Like back in 97 we only won 38 games that year, and we won the Cup, that roster was much better than 38 wins, but we took a lot of lesser teams for granted. If you are on the other teams, and they see the blueline especially we put out, they look at that, and probably think very little of it. And for the most part, they know they are going to the playoffs, and may be lifting off the gas a little to conserve for that. I know the Pens aren't officially in, but everything has to go wrong for them to miss at this point, and now we have beaten them, they will almost assuredly win the next one.

Athana see you later

Feb 9, 2019
Yeah, but teams that are really good, still do this. We used to do it quite a bit at the end of the season. Like back in 97 we only won 38 games that year, and we won the Cup, that roster was much better than 38 wins, but we took a lot of lesser teams for granted. If you are on the other teams, and they see the blueline especially we put out, they look at that, and probably think very little of it. And for the most part, they know they are going to the playoffs, and may be lifting off the gas a little to conserve for that. I know the Pens aren't officially in, but everything has to go wrong for them to miss at this point, and now we have beaten them, they will almost assuredly win the next one.
I feel like Blashill’s system is opening up as well. It’s giving teams a new look that they don’t really know how to prepare for yet with all these young guys pushing the pace.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I feel like Blashill’s system is opening up as well. It’s giving teams a new look that they don’t really know how to prepare for yet with all these young guys pushing the pace.

Yeah maybe, and also the young guys are trying to prove they belong, and are skating harder than some on the playoff teams we have been playing. Boston and Pittsburgh in particular have no excuse for losing to us, in my opinion, they simply didn't play hard enough.

Reactions: pz29 and Sentinel

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
That's not why we only won 38 games. We were still feeling the devastating effects of the 96 playoff loss. The team was still soul-searching... until March 26. Then it all came together.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
That's not why we only won 38 games. We were still feeling the devastating effects of the 96 playoff loss. The team was still soul-searching... until March 26. Then it all came together.

Feeling the devastating effects of a playoff loss is not an excuse to only win 38 games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad