Pre-Game Talk: Wings vs Flyers

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Mantha out is a terrible decision. Jurco deserves a chance but not at the expense of one of our only actually good players.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
I don't like Mantha being out either, BUT, I have a feeling Jurco will bring a lot more intensity than Mantha would have so maybe that is the reason he is in. If our 3rd line can keep up their good play, I don't mind the move.

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground
Got a bad feeling about this one, something about 2 wins over the weekend plus 2 Boston losses makes me think we're due for some bad luck. Maybe it's just me being superstitious and pessimistic but I'd be surprised if they win tonight.

I don't like Mantha being out either, BUT, I have a feeling Jurco will bring a lot more intensity than Mantha would have so maybe that is the reason he is in. If our 3rd line can keep up their good play, I don't mind the move.

+1, sucks that Mantha has to sit but if we're talking about a 4th line role IMO Jurco is better suited for it.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Putting in a 4th line player to play on the 4th line. Good change.

HFBoards will hate it because Mantha still fits the parameters of shiny new toy/shiny toy on another team despite being -6 already...but it's a good move

TheRatPoisoner

Feb 23, 2015
Didn't the PP only start clicking after Mantha was called up and had him net front on the second unit? I mean, I know Mantha isn't suited to the fourth line, but I say if there's something that was a problem for the team the entire year resolved recently, don't **** with it.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Blashill cited good breakouts as one key to countering the Flyers' physical play. "We need to get back fast as a group of five and get out of there as quick as we can," he said. "The quicker we are, the less chance they are going to be able to hit you and be physical."

Haha sounds like a good strategy, skate fast enough they'll never be able to check us!

It's true though efficient breakouts and avoiding turnovers will nullify the pressure of Philly's forecheck.

jerrymac

Oct 24, 2011
GB
As already mentioned by others, the move makes sense and it doesn't. Jurco should be in playing on fourth line. Mantha (imo) should be in playing on second line. Now that baseball season has started I'm ready for this season to be over.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Haha sounds like a good strategy, skate fast enough they'll never be able to check us!

It's true though efficient breakouts and avoiding turnovers will nullify the pressure of Philly's forecheck.

THAT is his plan? With speedsters like Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Richards, Ericsson, etc playing big minutes? LOL. Has this ever NOT been the plan this season? A plan we continually struggle to execute?

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really

What's weird is he just described one of the problems the Wings have: they bring all the guys back and don't have any mid or even long range passing targets. But that clutters up the d-zone and makes it more difficult to find space to properly break out. It's like he doesn't see any problem with it. Hmm.

It sounds like he wants forwards to come all the way back, essentially bailing out the defense's inability to make that mid-range outlet pass. But that's going to make it tough to get sustained offensive zone time, since most end to end rushes 5 on 5 die in the neutral zone.

I mean, I guess you can't tell your defense to man up and start passing well, but this doesn't seem like a great solution to that problem.

Last edited:

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
People complain when Jurco is and isn't playing. Amazing.

Yup. And in other threads people complain about "wasting assets" and losing guys like Ferarro on waivers. They (in a general sense) then turn around and complain about trading guys like Jarnkrok, and Backman, who probably didn't have much of spot on the team.

Of course management has made some mistakes but the reality is several people on HFboards are going to complain no matter what management does.

Perfection or Bust. :cheers:

Anyway. I got a good feeling about this game. I believe the boys are going to show up ready to play. 4-2 win. Helm, Nyquist, Abdelkader and Z scoring

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
Biggest game of the season tonight. I wish I could say I expect this team to play its best but honestly I expect the opposite. I expect a loss and then a win vs. Boston to get in.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Yup. And in other threads people complain about "wasting assets" and losing guys like Ferarro on waivers. They (in a general sense) then turn around and complain about trading guys like Jarnkrok, and Backman, who probably didn't have much of spot on the team.

Jarnkrok, Janmark, and Ferraro are all superstars and we as a fanbase should collectively throw a hissyfit every time they get a point.

On the other hand, Tatar, Nyquist, and Sheahan all deserve threads about how they are absolute garbage hockey players

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia

I live in Philadelphia. I watch a lot of Flyers games. They THRIVE off that kind of game. Trying to out-Flyers the Flyers is a recipe for disaster. Because every team who does it loses or barely wins.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Jarnkrok, Janmark, and Ferraro are all superstars and we as a fanbase should collectively throw a hissyfit every time they get a point.

On the other hand, Tatar, Nyquist, and Sheahan all deserve threads about how they are absolute garbage hockey players

exactly.. infact things have gotten even worse. The list of players being complained about encompass the entire team now. No one is same.

Zetterberg is a 3rd line bum now.
Datsyuk is a disloyal jerk for retiring to russia
etc etc etc

Basically if you 19 yrs old you should be on the top line getting 20 min a night. (or in your rookie season)
Else.. management should trade you or behead you!

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
What's weird is he just described one of the problems the Wings have: they bring all the guys back and don't have any mid or even long range passing targets. But that clutters up the d-zone and makes it more difficult to find space to properly break out. It's like he doesn't see any problem with it. Hmm...

As Redwitt just said I think that's always the plan, breaking out as a unit. I personally feel this is more successful than the Wings' stretch passes. Passes like that from say Q and E are usually out of desperation (an inability to skate the puck up ice) and to a forward who's covered. For some reason the stretch game doesn't work well for us.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
People complain when Jurco is and isn't playing. Amazing.

Do you think, perhaps, maybe, possibly, it's a problem of WHO Jurco replaced? Like when people say they want to see Smith in the lineup. They mean taking Ericsson out, not Green or Dekeyser.

Do you think, perhaps, maybe, possibly, you should be fairer to that position?

This whole thread is filled with strawmen. Holy moly.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
I live in Philadelphia. I watch a lot of Flyers games. They THRIVE off that kind of game. Trying to out-Flyers the Flyers is a recipe for disaster. Because every team who does it loses or barely wins.

Interesting. I like the Flyers brand of hockey. Your comment reminds me of the way they dismantled the Penguins a few seasons ago by luring them into an emotional/physical war. We have to recognize their physical strength but the Wings shouldn't be playing scared.

They are also calling this the most important game of the year, man it should be a doozie!

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Interesting. I like the Flyers brand of hockey. Your comment reminds me of the way they dismantled the Penguins a few seasons ago by luring them into an emotional/physical war. We have to recognize their physical strength but the Wings shouldn't be playing scared.

They are also calling this the most important game of the year, man it should be a doozie!

Flyers love playing open hockey, with lots of zone-to-zone transition, which creates chaos and opens up the ice. It's really exciting style. The key is to shut that down so that they can't play that way. Trying to go head to head with them in that style is a recipe for disaster.

JohanFranzenstein

Dec 6, 2013
I have never been more anxious and excited for a regular season game. Breaking out all my good luck gear to wear to work today.

LET'S GET SOME POSITIVITY HERE! LET'S GO WINGS!!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->