GDT: Wings vs flyers 6:00 pm et 2/17/19 nbcsn

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Oooo Kronwall had someone lined up but they saw it at the last second.

Nice to see Mantha throwing his weight around.

When we talk about Kronwall throwing less of these, though a few more this year it isn't just his knee at play. We are a bad team playing in kind of dead buildings a lot as we come in as a cellar dweller. Konecky could hear the bench, I could on the broadcast if the building is cranked up, he doesn't hear a thing and is likely looking at the rafters.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
Yes, that's exactly what I was saying. Goalies getting elbowed in the head is fantastic!

It was a loose puck. Two players went for it and there was a collision. Larkin didn't elbow him in the head.

Notice how there wasn't much of a reaction by the Flyers?
You mean the reaction where they all converged on Larkin looking to beat his ass? Sorry, you don't dive head first into a goalie as he's covering the puck. Or really at all Maybe that's what I'm trying to say. When you're not getting pushed in, just don't crash into a goalie's head. Ever.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
You mean the reaction where they all converged on Larkin looking to beat his ass? Sorry, you don't dive head first into a goalie as he's covering the puck. Or really at all Maybe that's what I'm trying to say. When you're not getting pushed in, just don't crash into a goalie's head. Ever.
No, the one where they all stood around and grabbed each other for a couple seconds before dispersing.

It's a 50/50 puck. Hart got there just before Larkin, who is outside the crease. Larkin didn't dive head first at the goalie.

Screen Shot 2019-02-17 at 5.49.33 PM.png

Last edited:
Reactions: A II R and AHall88

YpsiWings

Feb 5, 2016
This weekend proved that Detroit doesn’t quit, I like that. It would be real easy to roll over and die, but they keep battling. Good signs from the players that will still be here when the Wings are contenders again.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
AA always has me wanting more

I don't think that is completely fair. AA has the ability to take over games and certainly has games where I am incredibly happy with him like that Nashville game recently. Both him and Mantha have been better in terms of night over night consistency. I think they played well as a team today, sometimes you lose when you do that anyway. Not a lot of problems with the effort tonight. Just couldn't convert and that happens to teams that are low on talent.

TheRatPoisoner

Feb 23, 2015
Nice loss

Kinda wondering if Mantha having a game had to do with getting a bigger role in Nyquist's absence. Or maybe it's just a coincidence.

Whatever the case, seeing the chemistry between Mantha, Larkin and Bert is pretty encouraging. They'll do some damage next season if they play like that consistently.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
I don't think that is completely fair. AA has the ability to take over games and certainly has games where I am incredibly happy with him like that Nashville game recently. Both him and Mantha have been better in terms of night over night consistency. I think they played well as a team today, sometimes you lose when you do that anyway. Not a lot of problems with the effort tonight. Just couldn't convert and that happens to teams that are low on talent.
Team effort has nothing to do with AA so let's dismiss that right away, AA isn't the engine of the team.

AA attempts to skate through three guys as he is known to do and does make it through them. So he gets to the corner and has absolutely no idea what to do with the puck. Decides to just center it into Philly's defense. They get it, make a couple passes, score and seal the game. I had to rewind it to confirm what I actually saw.

His IQ has it's moments both good and bad which tells me overall, he just isn't an intelligent player. That's what always has me wanting more with AA; Easily one of the most talented players on the team but also one of the worst in awareness. But, it is what it is, I'm not gonna really complain if he eventually starts putting 40 pucks in the net.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Team effort has nothing to do with AA so let's dismiss that right away, AA isn't the engine of the team.

AA attempts to skate through three guys as he is known to do and does make it through them. So he gets to the corner and has absolutely no idea what to do with the puck. Decides to just center it into Philly's defense. They get it, make a couple passes, score and seal the game. I had to rewind it to confirm what I actually saw.

His IQ has it's moments both good and bad which tells me overall, he just isn't an intelligent player. That's what always has me wanting more with AA; Easily one of the most talented players on the team but also one of the worst in awareness. But, it is what it is, I'm not gonna really complain if he eventually starts putting 40 pucks in the net.

While I don't think AA has a high hockey IQ, I think its less to do with his awareness and more to actually do with his speed. I think he skates faster than he can think a lot of the time. So if he isn't in the clear at the end of a transition, he either needs an obvious target to pass it to, or he's going to try a low percentage shot/centering pass. His speed is his biggest asset, but I also think its the biggest reason he isn't a better player.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
While I don't think AA has a high hockey IQ, I think its less to do with his awareness and more to actually do with his speed. I think he skates faster than he can think a lot of the time. So if he isn't in the clear at the end of a transition, he either needs an obvious target to pass it to, or he's going to try a low percentage shot/centering pass. His speed is his biggest asset, but I also think its the biggest reason he isn't a better player.
Don't see the need to argue any of this, if he could think as fast as he skates don't see why he couldn't be putting up 80+ points a season.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
I didn't know Philadelphia had their own national NBC sports channel. Those play by play guys were slick tiddly-winking the Flyers. Tough to listen to.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010

As much as anyone I've been a huge AA fan from the start and I've had tremendous patience waiting for him to grow into what I want him to.

But lately this has been starting to sink in for me. This is his biggest downfall. He does something incredible to make space for himself and then just... sends a weak pass to somewhere he hopes his teammate happens to be. Or takes a really low percentage shot with no traffic. Or some dumb thing.

But to be fair, if AA had strong hockey IQ he would be easily one of the best players in the league. And we never would have gotten him in the 4th round.

Oh well. At least he's consistently improving in other areas.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad