GDT: Wings vs cats 7:30 pm et NYE

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
Cholowski's last 16 games, since Dec 1:

2G, 0A, -7

The kid has hit a rough spot. And it's not just on the scoreboard, you can tell his actual play has diminished. Hope he can right the ship.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010

2G, 0A, -7

The kid has hit a rough spot. And it's not just on the scoreboard, you can tell his actual play has diminished. Hope he can right the ship.

probably lost all his confidence when injuries ended and the team started playing him 5 minutes a game while he was still playing well

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Pretty cool, had to look it up because thought I mis-heard Daniels say this was the 70th Red Wings NYE game in history. What a tradition. Get loosened up by the game and be out by 10:00 is a good time.

Gotta hand it to them, the Panthers played well. The goal by Halyruk where he rushed the net was amazing. Nice to see AA with two (hey that one still counts in my mind) beautiful goals. I wish he could do more over 60 minutes than sneak off on breakaways but Athanasiou may always be a mystery.

Reactions: Ulysses31

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden

2G, 0A, -7

2 goals is still solid (~10 goal pace full season). Not getting assists and being a -7 has just as much to do with the team being garbage. Team has only 4 wins in that time and has scored 2 or less in 9 out of 16 games. Wings PP has also been terrible which is where most of his production came from earlier.
It's a bit of a slump for him, sure, but his individual play has not dropped by a ton imo. Hard to get numbers on this team, no one but Larkin and maybe Nyquist have a very good stat line lately.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Barkov got destroyed in terms of possession last night. 32 CF%, which is last place on their team. Was matched against Larkin most of the night.

Larkin has truly ascended into something special this season. He's significantly improved his work along the boards and his cycle game, allowing for sustained pressure. Became a much better forechecker too.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

2G, 0A, -7

The rookie wall is a thing for a reason...

In fact trying to think of the last bunch of rookies that played extremely well for us. I could go over my lifetime but lets just use the last two decades

Nyquist - overripe barely had his rookie status and came up midway through a season with AHL work and an AHL season under his belt. Played on a pretty good team with a very good established player in Johan Franzen.

Howard - overripe, honestly cannot remember if he was our planned backup in his rookie campaign, but he had several AHL seasons under his belt. Played on a very good team with low stakes in a tandem with a struggling Osgood but still a borderline HHOF as support.

Then you have the other two I can think of with a little more special talent.

Zetterberg - came over as the believed best player in all of hockey playing outside the NHL with Olympic participation and the SHL MVP the season before. Was robbed of the Calder, probably the best rookie season in Detroit of my lifetime. By the way he scored in the 40s so yes that is great but yes he basically had an output that Frans Nielsen (I know different scoring eras can be mentioned but still..) will continue to get dumped on for pacing out to this year. His linemates were Brett Hull and Pavel Datsyuk and he joined a great team.

Larkin - transitioned well from college playing a bit on the Griffins deep playoff run and playing in the World Championships, but an impressive jump straight to wing playing with Zetterberg on a below average team. He was a bit of a one trick pony his rookie year as teams were not sure what to do with his speed and didn;t respect it frankly in the appropriate matter the first couple of viewings.

This is a tough league, I think those expecting Rasmussen and Cholowski not to struggle and have very bad stretches didn't have the most realistic expectation. They need to process what they learned and apply it moving forward but the off-season is going to be big for both of these guys. They need to get more explosive in the gym in my opinion in terms of both of them. Not a ton more, but there is more development there and I hope they both put in a lot of time.

It would be nice if Cholowski rebounds a little and we can get Hockey Canada to consider him for the World Championships. But this is a part of the process. This is a part of why some of us have said rebuilding is a tough thing to ask for, it is ugly for long stretches.

These rookies don't have a lot of help. They are joining a bad team and what are their common linemates. What being gifted Trevor Daley, Jonathan Ericsson, one-legged Kronwall and company isn't shielding him from much... Not the most stunning revelation.

Rebuilds are painful for just this reason. I like the inner drive and back stories on really all three prominent rookies playing for the team right now in Cholowski, Rasmussen and Hronek. Even Ehn has done some solid checking line learning. But were going to lose a lot while they learn, this is a tough league to learn in and always has been.

Last edited:

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
there are so many good unsigned players at u20 tournament

Most of the players you think that about don't have much of an NHL future. Keep in mind the NHL is a rotating 20 year player pool instead of a three year one. A lot more depth and seasoned finished talent at work.

I get the point, but again I think this cheapens how hard the league is to play in and what it takes to be a NHL player.

Plenty of guys light up the U20s without a big future as a scorer or anything else.

Hey collect them anyway you want. If we see a player our scouts believe in there I hope we draft them or sign them outright if they have that status and availability. But those players look good because of some of the talent disparity you find at this level. I saw Zadina dangle through three guys multiple times yesterday in a way he has accomplished maybe a handful of times to date in the AHL. So it isn't to say he cannot do it at the pro level, but he looks at the rafters a heck of a lot more when he tries it. There are things guys can do at the World Juniors that are never happening at the AHL or NHL level or if they are it is on one day out of 82 not the 50% of games look you have at that tournament.

Not dumping on the tournament, love seeing the guys best on best at this age group. But I think it is always important not to get too carried away with the sample size here. It can inform opinions, but I would want our regional scout assigned to his area signing off on this guy being more than just this tournament for sure.

Reactions: Reddwit

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
You had to say it.... lol.

And it was...

5ChEdgK.gif

Reactions: mantha39

chris05

May 23, 2013
You have AA and Vanek for shootouts
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Vanek and AA were probably ready to puke when they saw 71 on the ice ahead of them in the shout out.
It requires a unique skill set that only certain players possess when it comes to scoring goals with style in shoot outs.
You don't need analytics but in this case analytics would tell you it is not even close and only a bone head coach would even contemplate such a decision.
Vanek scores a beautiful goal AA pops in 2 beautiful goals on 1 on 1 plays.

What you have here is a coaching staff with no feel for the game. Incompetence is always at a high level behind the wings bench on game night.

Reactions: mantha39

TheMule93

May 26, 2015
Ontario
You have AA and Vanek for shootouts
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Vanek and AA were probably ready to puke when they saw 71 on the ice ahead of them in the shout out.
It requires a unique skill set that only certain players possess when it comes to scoring goals with style in shoot outs.
You don't need analytics but in this case analytics would tell you it is not even close and only a bone head coach would even contemplate such a decision.
Vanek scores a beautiful goal AA pops in 2 beautiful goals on 1 on 1 plays.

What you have here is a coaching staff with no feel for the game. Incompetence is always at a high level behind the wings bench on game night.

AA and Vanek have sucked in shootouts all year

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
We need to get Larkin some better teammates....

I’m usually opposed to most investments in the top UFAs but man I think Mark Stone wouldn’t be an incredible fit on Larkin’s wing. I could see those two being a dominant pair at both ends of the ice.

slovakia18

English? I can't.
Jan 7, 2012
austria/swiss
AA and Vanek have sucked in shootouts all year
But Vanek is one of the best guys in Shootouts about years in the NHL, there was only one bad shot that year, the rest was unlucky.
But of course u can be never sure there score or not, is not penaltyshot in soccer, so its harder.

FLpanthers16

#CatsAreComing
Jan 30, 2014
Barkov got destroyed in terms of possession last night. 32 CF%, which is last place on their team. Was matched against Larkin most of the night.

Larkin has truly ascended into something special this season. He's significantly improved his work along the boards and his cycle game, allowing for sustained pressure. Became a much better forechecker too.

Guy is tired after the minutes he have to log game in and game out most in the league for forwards i belive? Still had a beautiful play in OT where he broke up a cross ice pass from Larkin where it was game over if that pass would have gone through.

And Huby and Dadanov was not giving him any help so those numbers probably look worse then it really was.

Just my few cents as a Panthers fan good luck rest of the way!

Reactions: TheMule93

TheMule93

May 26, 2015
Ontario
Guy is tired after the minutes he have to log game in and game out most in the league for forwards i belive? Still had a beautiful play in OT where he broke up a cross ice pass from Larkin where it was game over if that pass would have gone through.

And Huby and Dadanov was not giving him any help so those numbers probably look worse then it really was.

Just my few cents as a Panthers fan good luck rest of the way!

I wasn't trying to shit on Barkov as much as I was trying to praise Larkin :D Barkov is a wonderful player I remember he had 2-3 points in the previous game we played. I feel bad for all the ice time he gets haha. His penalty drawn to penalty taken ratio is absurd, hes undoubtedly the top runner for the lady byng at this point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->