GDT: Wings vs bruins 7:30 pm et 3/31/19 nbcsn

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Talking about Witter earlier, feel like I need to also mention McIlrath. Guy's just not an NHLer right now. Seems timid out there, which is strange given his reputation. Like he's playing to not screw up, which is a kiss of death, imo.

Like Puempel, but doesn't seem like an NHLer, either. Works hard, but just so limited. Also, with more high IQ players seeming to be sifted into the lineup, the shortcomings of some other guys are standing out more. There was a shift in the third where Hirose was out there with Turgeon, and Hirose tapped the puck into a space where Turgeon should have been, but the guy just didn't know it. he couldn't see where the play would develop. See it with Helm, too. There are times where the play is doing one thing and Helm is....doing something entirely different. It sucks, these guys work their butts off and I like pulling for them (even if I hate some of their contracts). But it gets hard to watch at times, and it's why this team is in the lotto. Too many guys like that.

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA
Talking about Witter earlier, feel like I need to also mention McIlrath. Guy's just not an NHLer right now. Seems timid out there, which is strange given his reputation. Like he's playing to not screw up, which is a kiss of death, imo.

Like Puempel, but doesn't seem like an NHLer, either. Works hard, but just so limited. Also, with more high IQ players seeming to be sifted into the lineup, the shortcomings of some other guys are standing out more. There was a shift in the third where Hirose was out there with Turgeon, and Hirose tapped the puck into a space where Turgeon should have been, but the guy just didn't know it. he couldn't see where the play would develop. See it with Helm, too. There are times where the play is doing one thing and Helm is....doing something entirely different. It sucks, these guys work their butts off and I like pulling for them (even if I hate some of their contracts). But it gets hard to watch at times, and it's why this team is in the lotto. Too many guys like that.
Yup, which is why I hate seeing these types of players on scoring lines. They're so much more effective on a north-south checking line with like-minded linemates.

Reactions: NickH8 and Winger98

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Congratulations to Mantha on his hat trick and a 5 points game.

The no look pass by Larkin was the glimpses of Datsyuk.

I am glad for the fans the team wins some home games, 9 goals, hits, a fight. And maybe the young players build some confidence out of this.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
I find it weird that someone like Athanasiou was never really that great of a goal scorer before he made the NHL but can pop 30 in the NHL.

Reactions: Gniwred and 14ari13

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
I find it weird that someone like Athanasiou was never really that great of a goal scorer before he made the NHL but can pop 30 in the NHL.
that's a good point. You'd think he would've feasted on AHL defense and goalies with his speed and hands. It just took him a few seasons to really put it all together I guess.

Reactions: 14ari13

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Funny, I thought of that play as the result of AA owing Hirose for all his assists in the previous games.
I was gonna say the same thing, I don't think he's evened it up yet, considering Hirose always tries to feed AA the puck. (Kind of pointless to pass it to Helm anyways, even Back Hand Luke has a better chance of potting goals than Helm.)

What I noticed the most though was how happy AA was on that goal. Not only is he busting his butt, but he's also becoming a team player. Really beginning to like the combo, they just need a competent winger or center to complete the line. (Yeah I know AA is ideally a winger, but if he keeps playing like this, he can play whatever position he wants to play. Right now he's the second best center on the team anyways.)

Reactions: Flowah

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
I think it's all about mental maturity. I wouldn't be the slightest bit surprised if he was a lazy, entitled kid for most of his life, coasting on his natural talent without caring, but in his 20s finally flipping a switch when he understood that he has the potential to crack down on himself and work towards something greater. I think a lot of people make a big transformation in their 20s.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Funny, I thought of that play as the result of AA owing Hirose for all his assists in the previous games.

That whole play is made by Hirose controlling the stretch pass and sending AA in with speed, then using his hockey IQ to be smart enough to back-fill the void AA is creating as they scramble. I love the play by AA, but Hirose has a lot to do with his own goal as well. That is honestly one of the best parts about Hirose thus far though for me, he is really good in the neutral zone at making smart plays and breaking coverage. He helps us lead to controlled entries and he does a lot of just smart simple plays all over the ice. I have been really impressed with him thus far.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I think it's all about mental maturity. I wouldn't be the slightest bit surprised if he was a lazy, entitled kid for most of his life, coasting on his natural talent without caring, but in his 20s finally flipping a switch when he understood that he has the potential to crack down on himself and work towards something greater. I think a lot of people make a big transformation in their 20s.

Supposedly the four young guys we talk about all the time are close friends off the ice. I think it probably helps a lot that Larkin has assumed control of this team in terms of AA and Mantha buying in all the way. I mean having guys that work like Larkin and Bert has to help. Late last year we heard AA had gone completely Vegan, I think we are getting a transformation somewhat with these guys, they know with Z gone it has to be them and we are starting to see some answers. Really happy about that and good on these four, they need to consolidate some of this over the summer and still get that step better.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Supposedly the four young guys we talk about all the time are close friends off the ice. I think it probably helps a lot that Larkin has assumed control of this team in terms of AA and Mantha buying in all the way. I mean having guys that work like Larkin and Bert has to help. Late last year we heard AA had gone completely Vegan, I think we are getting a transformation somewhat with these guys, they know with Z gone it has to be them and we are starting to see some answers. Really happy about that and good on these four, they need to consolidate some of this over the summer and still get that step better.

I often find myself wanting for one game to throw all the hockey norms out the window and just have one forward line that’s 4 men deep. Like just running the PP1 as an even strength line, just so AA doesn’t have to be the odd man out.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I often find myself wanting for one game to throw all the hockey norms out the window and just have one forward line that’s 4 men deep. Like just running the PP1 as an even strength line, just so AA doesn’t have to be the odd man out.

It is a fun thought... Now think of how well NHL forwards abuse any forward back not named Sergei Fedorov over your time watching hockey... As good as these guys are, you would get embarrassed pretty badly in transition a few times doing that.

I have thought about this though 4 on 4 from time to time, especially if you have an absolute stud like Hedman back there. I mean what would you do if Tampa threw out Stamkos-Point-Kucherov and Hedman four on four... You can talk about hitting them in transition but they would probably have the puck and they aren't giving it back to you.

Still unfortunately almost 30 years ago now, coaches started to get wise that limiting chances made for easier result predictions and ultimately job security. The reason coaches talk D first is always that. That is a huge part of why I am excited whenever a Sullivan emerges and I hope it throws more offense in. Unfortunately, I just don't see a lot changing the coach being defensive first a lot of the time though it is just sort of the reality of the league.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
…. or they can just send the 4 of them out on a PP with Hronek. With Nielson injured, the projected first PP is Bert/Larkin/Mantha with AA/Kronwall, if that makes you feel any better...

Hugh Mongusbig

Mar 7, 2012
I like seeing all the kids gel, and take a step, and find chemistry, but now is the worst time to do it.
I really had hoped for a top 3 pick, and now the #7 pick seems more likely. Best outcome is the kids keep winning and yet despite the worsening odds, we still move up in the lottery. landing a top 3 pick would be huge for this club. 1st or 2nd pick would be AMAZING.

This club need franchise talent, not more future borderline top 6 players.

Reactions: Cyborg Yzerberg

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
Every time Mantha and AA hit a hot steak everyone comes out of the woodwork to proclaim that we've finally turned the corner and our future success is assured.

And every single time we're complaining about Mantha and AA a month later.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->