GDT: Wings vs bruins 7:30 pm et 3/31/19 nbcsn

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
The part that confuses me, and I’m sure everyone else on here, we know he’s capable of games like this. Capable of stretches like this (5 goals, 7 assists in the last 5 games)...With how ****ing great this must for him to have a night like tonight, how does he not bust ass every single night to feel the same rush?
If the rush isn't enough, how about knowing he could be getting paid $8-10M a year if he played like this consistently? Is millions and millions of dollars a year not good motivation?

Reactions: Sparkzuk

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Mantha played like The Man again. If/when he becomes a consistent player he's going to be top shelf. Good on Hirose for getting his first goal. This kid could be special. Might even be the best signing in Detroit in a long time. Next year is looking brighter even with Hughes slipping from our grasp.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Only TBL, CGY, CBJ & COL are hotter than us in the last 10 & we're 7-3. Glad for:

Mantha 45pts/64gp=57pt pace & Bert 52pt pace w/44pts/70gp..
Hirose's 1st G & 6pts/7gp
Hronek 2pts
Bowey's hit on the angry hobbit
Kronner adding to his pt total
Howard with 3 wins over the B's this year
Turgeon's call up
Witter's hit & fistacuffs

Wings are 6-1 with Hirose in the lineup (not to mention the injuries).
Outscoring opponents 26-18, including beating 4 playoff teams, 2 OT victories, 4/5 wins on the road, impressive stretch. Now if Bert & Mantha can hit 50 pts each to cap the season, that'd be huge going into the offseason for their confidence. I hope Blash keeps the top line together & we can sign Duchene or Hayes as the back up 2C, let AA do his thing on wing & take the occassional faceoff, with Hirose on the other wing, that'd be a decent top 9 with Helm-Nielsen-Ras/Svech. Veleno is probably close.

Last edited:

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
I feel like the only guy who might get passed over before #6 or #7 is Podkolzin. I don't really want him or Zegras or Dach. But! I guess that's what we'll get unless they do something really unexpected.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
I don't know why are some of you so upset , we a beating top NHL teams , and what is it so spatial, other than we have 11 picks, about top prospects at this draft . Barkov > Kakko , Matthews> Hughes. Don't worry , we are going to get very good player. The most important our kids good and going to get better

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Mantha 45pts/64gp=70pt pace & Bert 63pt pace w/44pts/70gp..
Fantastic numbers.

Obviously AA and Larkin have great numbers too. Hirose's got a good pace but obviously, sample size.

If Hronek, Cholo take strides and we add a couple of good high end pieces, one on forward and one on the back, we could easily make the playoffs next season.

Seriously. Imagine this forward group with a defensive group that isn't god awful. Ugh.

Reactions: Sentinel

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
folks, I've been moving tankish posts to the tank thread. I'm not against going a bit off-topic in a thread, but let's try to contain the tank talk to threads purposefully built for it. Those threads are all on the first page, and I think it makes the other threads (like the GDTs) more enjoyable for all of us to have some space from an argument we've been having for awhile now about the draft and where we're picking.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
If the rush isn't enough, how about knowing he could be getting paid $8-10M a year if he played like this consistently? Is millions and millions of dollars a year not good motivation?

I mean it’s a perk, but I bet you the feeling he has in the locker room now is more motivation than the pay check. These kids didn’t start playing hockey for the paycheck. All Mantha could talk about post game was how much fun the guys are having, and that’s the best pay off you can get, imo.

Larkin2AA

Apr 21, 2016
Rochester Hills, MI
Fantastic numbers.

Obviously AA and Larkin have great numbers too. Hirose's got a good pace but obviously, sample size.

If Hronek, Cholo take strides and we add a couple of good high end pieces, one on forward and one on the back, we could easily make the playoffs next season.

Seriously. Imagine this forward group with a defensive group that isn't god awful. Ugh.

The team needs to have a mental toughness to it in order to make the playoffs and even have a chance in the first round. That would be the next step. I would honestly sacrifice one more year just to gain that experience. The team still lacks leadership as a WHOLE, they obviously have certain leaders on the team (i.e. Larkin), but they need more.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Only TBL, CGY, CBJ & COL are hotter than us in the last 10 & we're 7-3. Glad for:

Mantha 45pts/64gp=70pt pace & Bert 63pt pace w/44pts/70gp..
Hirose's 1st G & 6pts/7gp
Hronek 2pts
Bowey's hit on the angry hobbit
Kronner adding to his pt total
Howard with 3 wins over the B's this year
Turgeon's call up
Witter's hit & fistacuffs

Mantha' 45p in 64 games is a 57 point pace, not a 70 point pace

Likewise, Bertuzzi's 44p in 70 games is a 52 point pace, not a 63 point pace.

Reactions: Oddbob

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
This reminds me of how the leafs used to be. Once they were eleminated and had nothing to play for and had no pressure they started playing well giving their fans hope for next season. Only to play the same crappy way for the mosf of the season as before.

Learn to tank properly f*** playing for your pride.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
I mean, I like our team
I kind of do too. I don't want to jump the gun but we could be next years Arizona. Finish the year super strong and then carry it over.
We've got to fix our D for that to happen, though.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
The Wings traded down when Chychrun was the slam dunk pick just waiting for them.

And Dach is playmaking Anthony Mantha. Possibly including playing wing...

And nothing that has happened since has proven them at all wrong for making that move. Remember that they still weren’t aware that Stamkos wouldn’t talk to them so they needed Datsyuk 7.5 off the books. (Which I think had more to do with Toronto’s kitchen sink, full court press than anything to do with Detroit. Stamkos saw how nuts teams were gonna go and he didn’t want to deal with that.)

I’d do Cholo and Hronek for Chychrun all day every day and twice on Sunday. Chychrun scares me as a long term prospect with the injuries.

I mean, Hronek in 42 games has 18 points. Chychrun in 52 has 20.

I mean, sure the Wings don’t just go by next on Central Scouting’s lists, but they’re also generally not... wrong. The guys they pick higher have tended to be NHL caliber players, if a little underwhelming in the league. If they trade down from a Zegras or Podkolzin, I’d actually trust that move to be an alright one

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
I kind of do too. I don't want to jump the gun but we could be next years Arizona. Finish the year super strong and then carry it over.
We've got to fix our D for that to happen, though.

I agree a million percent.

If these guys do this consistently with another top flight defenseman we’re a playoff team.

We have the talent. That’s evident. We’re fast, we’re tenacious and we’re resilient. They just need to find consistency.

I do think Blash is... doing a good job coaching this year.

I don’t believe fans should be completely down about a lower pick now. Let these young guns grow. Let them score and build confidence

Reactions: NickH8

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA
What a game. Full Chad mode. I think the Bert-Larkin-Mantha line should become a permanent thing next season. Also, give AA a good center, keep Hirose on the other wing and you've got a really nice secondary scoring line. If Veleno makes it next year, AA-Veleno-Hirose would be fun to watch. I'm actually really psyched about next year with the way these kids are playing right now.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
I agree a million percent.

If these guys do this consistently with another top flight defenseman we’re a playoff team.

We have the talent. That’s evident. We’re fast, we’re tenacious and we’re resilient. They just need to find consistency.

I do think Blash is... doing a good job coaching this year.

I don’t believe fans should be completely down about a lower pick now. Let these young guns grow. Let them score and build confidence
This also, of course, hinges on Hronek and Cholowski re-establishing/maintaining their status as top 4 guys.

Reactions: wingerdinger

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Fantastic numbers.

And these aren't crazy possibilities. Hronek has looked good since being called up. Cholo seems to be doing well in GR and didn't too horribly while with us for most of the season. Adding a UFA defenceman, have Zadina make the club next year...These guys are playing well to end the year, and even Athanasiou is making it look like a real possibility that he could transition back to center.

Reactions: KJoe88
Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
And nothing that has happened since has proven them at all wrong for making that move. Remember that they still weren’t aware that Stamkos wouldn’t talk to them so they needed Datsyuk 7.5 off the books. (Which I think had more to do with Toronto’s kitchen sink, full court press than anything to do with Detroit. Stamkos saw how nuts teams were gonna go and he didn’t want to deal with that.)

I’d do Cholo and Hronek for Chychrun all day every day and twice on Sunday. Chychrun scares me as a long term prospect with the injuries.

I mean, Hronek in 42 games has 18 points. Chychrun in 52 has 20.

I mean, sure the Wings don’t just go by next on Central Scouting’s lists, but they’re also generally not... wrong. The guys they pick higher have tended to be NHL caliber players, if a little underwhelming in the league. If they trade down from a Zegras or Podkolzin, I’d actually trust that move to be an alright one
I'd do Hronek for Chychrun and leave Cholowski out of it, at this point...

7 points in 18 games is not exactly lighting it up for an offensive defenseman.

Reactions: wingerdinger

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->