GDT: Wings vs. Blue Jackets

Detroit Swed Wings

#FireHolland
Jan 17, 2013
Malmö
Quincy should cover his guy, Smith's guy and keep Smith out of the penalty box from boneheaded penalties? Lol, okay. :laugh:

Plain and simple, Smith gave two goals to CBJs and gave them a free point. He should be benched when Kindl is healthy.

Are you KQs mother or boyfriend? Defending KQ by nagging on Smith is not the correct way to go dude... :shakehead

JBauerly97

Jan 8, 2013
Coldwater, MI
This may have already been said, a lot, but wtf is up with Mike Milbury? I was switching between FSD and NBC Sports last night at intermission and Milbury was *****ing about the opening faceoff fights. Jones was trying to explain how it set the tone, which it did, but Milbury was saying how it gives hockey a bad name. I really don't understand that ***** most of the time.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
This may have already been said, a lot, but wtf is up with Mike Milbury? I was switching between FSD and NBC Sports last night at intermission and Milbury was *****ing about the opening faceoff fights. Jones was trying to explain how it set the tone, which it did, but Milbury was saying how it gives hockey a bad name. I really don't understand that ***** most of the time.

I don't agree it gives a bad name but I could live without the faceoff scraps to be honest. The best hockey fights come spontaneously from emotions.

JBauerly97

Jan 8, 2013
Coldwater, MI
I don't agree it gives a bad name but I could live without the faceoff scraps to be honest. The best hockey fights come spontaneously from emotions.

I mostly agree, but after Saturday night, I totally support the opening fight to say "hey, we aren't going to get pushed around again tonight, now let's go boys". Not sure how Babcock felt about it, but hopefully Tootoo stays on his good side. I like him in the lineup.

Actual Thought*

No one is joking. I was expecting a break news update to interrupt the game. In all fairness we probably should sign him. We need more D depth. There is no one below Lashoff worth playing in the NHL. Nicastro/Almqvist just are not ready imo.
This is HFboards where every prospect is a star and every veteran is garbage.:sarcasm: You may have heard, Nyquist is the next Gretzky.

HTT3*

Are you KQs mother or boyfriend? Defending KQ by nagging on Smith is not the correct way to go dude... :shakehead

I happened to watch the game and am calling Smith out for being the direct result of giving CBJs two goals. Is that not allowed?

Blaming KQ for Smith's mistakes is like blaming Obama because the weather it is 4 degrees outside right now. :laugh:

Rael

Dec 28, 2012
Vienna
I think Babcock has to change the lines, put Filppula and Zetterberg back together which worked last year as well, plus Brunner. Then Datsyuk, Franzen and x, hopefully Nyquist at some point :)

Actually I even liked some of the PPs, hope Babs keeps the top 5 together until they have some more puck luck. They created some nice chances and Brunner soon will start shooting more and better, once he's settled in more.

I'm concerned about the Quincey/Smith pairing, was hoping Babcock mixes it up with White/Colaiacovo but now that the latter is hurt again, oh well...

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground
I think Babcock has to change the lines, put Filppula and Zetterberg back together which worked last year as well, plus Brunner. Then Datsyuk, Franzen and x, hopefully Nyquist at some point :)

Actually I even liked some of the PPs, hope Babs keeps the top 5 together until they have some more puck luck. They created some nice chances and Brunner soon will start shooting more and better, once he's settled in more.

I'm concerned about the Quincey/Smith pairing, was hoping Babcock mixes it up with White/Colaiacovo but now that the latter is hurt again, oh well...

Well it looks like Babs isn't splitting up D and Z just yet, Nyquist is in for Sammy tonight (groin) he's playing with Fil and Franzen.

Our 2nd line actually kinda looks like a 2nd line now

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
Useless stats are pretty, but lets look at the facts; Quincey had a goal against on both of Smith's dumb plays. It happens.

CBJs scored 3 goals, two were single-handedly on Smith.

1- Didn't cover his man, Quincey had his man.
2- Took a dumb penalty that resulted in a goal.

One1,Two2.

Smith gave CBJs a point, the game shouldn't have went to OT.

I guess it's fun to pretend that KQ is a rock solid defender who is currently handcuffed to this hapless rookie, but that's not exactly true. Smith was not good last night, but Quincey has been just as bad the first 2 games.

Smith did directly contribute to 2 CBJ goals last night, but in the St Louis game, Quincey should have received an assist for the 2 goals he gave the Blues. And while nobody was great that game, I am confident that even if the offense had shown up, Quincey was going to make that extra bad play to give St Louis the win.

Smith is making rookie mistakes, probably because.... oh, I don't know..... he's a rookie. Quincey is making rookie mistakes and taking bad penalties, and he's a seasoned vet championed by some as a solid top 4 on a Cup contender, so I'm not sure what his excuse is. Right now, he wouldn't be a top 4 guy on most Calder Cup-contending teams.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007

Typical NBC broadcast. Pretty straightforward. Not going to make any sense or be coherent in any way, shape, or form.

Rael

Dec 28, 2012
Vienna
Well it looks like Babs isn't splitting up D and Z just yet, Nyquist is in for Sammy tonight (groin) he's playing with Fil and Franzen.

Our 2nd line actually kinda looks like a 2nd line now

Good to see Nyquist up there. I'm very curious what he can do with Flip and Franzen although I haven't been too happy about that line until now. Maybe Nyquist is the answer to get that line going.

nik jr

Sep 25, 2005
Avs fan coming in peace to remark how well Brunner did with his shoot out goal. As much as I am not overly fond of the Wings, I so wish Brunner the best as I used to live in Switzerland and was an EV Zug season ticket holder for 3 years. Brunner was immense for them and really hope he succeeds in the NHL :) He really grew as a player after coming to Zug via a trade. A little back info on him for you - he was traded to Zug with apparent lack of effort problems, as I recall and Zug got this talented, somewhat troublesome winger on the cheap. However, he really turned his career around and flourished under Doug Shedden. I remember when he first came, he floated and his breakaways weren't that great - had the speed to get into that position but couldn't finish and that was obviously something he worked on. He matured and became a much better player.
:cheers:

I believe it was a groin injury.
seems like there have been about 10 of those already. :laugh: :help:

HTT3*

I guess it's fun to pretend that KQ is a rock solid defender who is currently handcuffed to this hapless rookie, but that's not exactly true. Smith was not good last night, but Quincey has been just as bad the first 2 games.

Smith did directly contribute to 2 CBJ goals last night, but in the St Louis game, Quincey should have received an assist for the 2 goals he gave the Blues. And while nobody was great that game, I am confident that even if the offense had shown up, Quincey was going to make that extra bad play to give St Louis the win.

Smith is making rookie mistakes, probably because.... oh, I don't know..... he's a rookie. Quincey is making rookie mistakes and taking bad penalties, and he's a seasoned vet championed by some as a solid top 4 on a Cup contender, so I'm not sure what his excuse is. Right now, he wouldn't be a top 4 guy on most Calder Cup-contending teams.

Okay take Quincey out of the Blues game and inject any player in the world you want... would we still of lost? Yep. THE ENTIRE TEAM SUCKED AGAINST THE BLUES!!!!!!!!!

You can't point your finger at "X" when "Y" was the problem. Lose 0-1 or 0-62, it is still a loss. If you want to blame anyone for the loss against the Blues, blame the lockout, blame Babcock for not preparing the team, or blame the 1st line for getting paid a combined $15 million to not showing up...

I understand you have blind hate and want to focus on the players who didn't directly contribute to the loss, but rather make excuses why we lost. Quincey was not even the reason why Wings lost against the Blues...

That said, Smith gave CBJs a point. I hope that point doesn't come back to bite us in the arse!

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground
Okay take Quincey out of the Blues game and inject any player in the world you want... would we still of lost? Yep. THE ENTIRE TEAM SUCKED AGAINST THE BLUES!!!!!!!!!

You can't point your finger at "X" when "Y" was the problem. Lose 0-1 or 0-62, it is still a loss. If you want to blame anyone for the loss against the Blues, blame the lockout, blame Babcock for not preparing the team, or blame the 1st line for getting paid a combined $15 million to not showing up...

I understand you have blind hate and want to focus on the players who didn't directly contribute to the loss, but rather make excuses why we lost. Quincey was not even the reason why Wings lost against the Blues...

That said, Smith gave CBJs a point. I hope that point doesn't come back to bite us in the arse!

Practice what you preach, you can't pin the game going into OT just on Smith.
Technically Quincey was the one who gave them the go-ahead goal. Prospal put them up 3-2 on the PP after Quincey's interference call. If he wasn't caught flat footed there never would have been a penalty therefore never would have been a PP goal.

crashman

Quincey isn't a bad player, just very undisciplined...and I'm not just talking about taking penalties. He tries to do too much by himself, same with Smith. It's just that Quincey should know better at this stage of his career. If the guy starts using his head more he might be useful.

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids

I don't think that anyone (certainly not myself) has contended that Quincey was the sole reason that the Wings lost to the Blues- hence the multiple ways of saying "everybody was bad/nobody was good" in that game.

I'm just pointing out that it's comical how you are crushing the rookie Smith while giving Q a pass for 2 games in which he was TERRIBLE. One guy's a rookie, one guy is a vet who is familiar with playing the Detroit system at the NHL level.

I totally agree that a loss is a loss, regardless of score. Quincey could have played like early-2000's Lidstrom against St Louis and we still would have lost. He just sucked that night, and wasn't much better last night. Isn't it reasonable to expect more out of a guy with his experience and alleged talent? Believe me, I'm not expecting him to grab any Norris votes, but KH signed him to be a steady presence on the blueline (right or wrong... going with wrong at this point), and he just isn't that guy. Hope that changes for the Wings' sake- see, not blind hate- just rational criticism ;).

HTT3*

I don't think that anyone (certainly not myself) has contended that Quincey was the sole reason that the Wings lost to the Blues- hence the multiple ways of saying "everybody was bad/nobody was good" in that game.

I'm just pointing out that it's comical how you are crushing the rookie Smith while giving Q a pass for 2 games in which he was TERRIBLE. One guy's a rookie, one guy is a vet who is familiar with playing the Detroit system at the NHL level.

I totally agree that a loss is a loss, regardless of score. Quincey could have played like early-2000's Lidstrom against St Louis and we still would have lost. He just sucked that night, and wasn't much better last night. Isn't it reasonable to expect more out of a guy with his experience and alleged talent? Believe me, I'm not expecting him to grab any Norris votes, but KH signed him to be a steady presence on the blueline (right or wrong... going with wrong at this point), and he just isn't that guy. Hope that changes for the Wings' sake- see, not blind hate- just rational criticism ;).

What Howard, Quincey, and Krownall did or didn't do in the Blues game doesn't matter. A loss is a loss is a loss.... no matter how you slice it. My focus to game one loss is on Babcock, not any of the players. He didn't prepare his team. That's on Babcock.

As for the CBJs game, Smith gave them a free point that resulted in them moving further up the standing. CBJs are better this year, DRWs are worse. The last thing you want to do is give your division rival free points. That point could be a deciding factor...

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
What Howard, Quincey, and Krownall did or didn't do in the Blues game doesn't matter. A loss is a loss is a loss.... no matter how you slice it. My focus to game one loss is on Babcock, not any of the players. He didn't prepare his team. That's on Babcock.

As for the CBJs game, Smith gave them a free point that resulted in them moving further up the standing. CBJs are better this year, DRWs are worse. The last thing you want to do is give your division rival free points. That point could be a deciding factor...

Can't agree with you more that the team was unprepared- I was shocked at how bad they looked given the vets on the roster and experience behind the bench. I think there was plenty of blame to go around to the player leadership and coaches.

I am not as worried about giving the Jackets a point, b/c if it comes down to that one point pushing them past us into the PO's, our season was doomed anyway. I'm with you that C-bus should be better this year, but I think it would be a colossal failure of a season if they finish higher in the standings than Detroit. I just hope there is continued improvement across the board moving into the game tonight.

HTT3*

Can't agree with you more that the team was unprepared- I was shocked at how bad they looked given the vets on the roster and experience behind the bench. I think there was plenty of blame to go around to the player leadership and coaches.

I am not as worried about giving the Jackets a point, b/c if it comes down to that one point pushing them past us into the PO's, our season was doomed anyway. I'm with you that C-bus should be better this year, but I think it would be a colossal failure of a season if they finish higher in the standings than Detroit. I just hope there is continued improvement across the board moving into the game tonight.

You never know how the season will play out, Bobrovsky might get hot like Brian Elliot did last year and coach Todd Richards might have some techniques up his sleeve like Hitchcock or Trotz... you never know.

Regardless, making the POs is priority #1. If we make 8th spot one point over CBJs, that's still a success and better than 9th spot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->