GDT: Wings vs. Blue Jackets

solo16

Nov 22, 2007
CT
Lashoff played really good. Kronwall was strong. Coco was good (till injury). White was a steadying presence. If that was our top 4 we would be fine. Unfortunately then there is the Smith/Quincey pairing. All around horrible. Smith looked extremely tentative.

Hckytwn

Don't do it Kenny...
Jul 9, 2010
Seattle, WA
Noticed how much better the team looked without Sammy playing for the last little bit and overtime? At least offensively. Too bad they still put Cleary out there.

Yep, I thought the same. I counted 5 turn-overs by Sammy in the first half of the game alone... he was horrible. There's no justifying him being on the top 2 lines. Nyquist should have his spot.

Cleary, I'm still holding hope out for, but he did not play well at all.

Quincey was embarrassing once again. He could've had 3 more penalties than he did... I think the refs either got tired of penalizing him or they just felt sorry for the guy. I didn't think it possible, but he's even worse than last year.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Don't we have another game tomorrow? :sarcasm: This also shows how much faith Babcock has on our defense, and how much faith he has in Kronwall. If no other D got past 20min.

When Detroit put Datsyuk, Zetterberg, and Lashoff on the 4-3pk, that pretty much summed it up. Granted, a couple of D were in the box, but regardless, I can't recall the last time that i've see 2 forwards on a 3 man PK.

solo16

Nov 22, 2007
CT
You guys joke about Lilja.

But really, it could happen.

No one is joking. I was expecting a break news update to interrupt the game. In all fairness we probably should sign him. We need more D depth. There is no one below Lashoff worth playing in the NHL. Nicastro/Almqvist just are not ready imo.

Aug 6, 2012
Lashoff played really good. Kronwall was strong. Coco was good (till injury). White was a steadying presence. If that was our top 4 we would be fine. Unfortunately then there is the Smith/Quincey pairing. All around horrible. Smith looked extremely tentative.

I thought Smith played well.

solo16

Nov 22, 2007
CT
I thought Smith played well.

You did not pay attention to the first two periods then. He had some decent breakout/offensive plays however he was almost as bad as Quincey defensively. He got caught pinching fairly often as well The only difference between the two is he is 2x as fast.

Was very sloppy from Smith. He played better last year.

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
Looked like either a broken wrist or a separated shoulder for CC.

Door's wide open for Lashoff, and it looks like he's in Babs' good graces early on.

Kindl must've been born under a bad sign or something...they need to move him along just so he can get a fresh start somewhere.

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere

Door's wide open for Lashoff, and it looks like he's in Babs' good graces early on.

Kindl must've been born under a bad sign or something...they need to move him along just so he can get a fresh start somewhere.

If Kindl was born under a bad sign, what was Cola born under?

solo16

Nov 22, 2007
CT

Lashoff looked like exactly what kronwall needs. I would leave them as a pair.

Kronwall Lashoff
Smith Ericsson
Quincey White

Jun 9, 2011
Detroit
You did not pay attention to the first two periods then. He had some decent breakout/offensive plays however he was almost as bad as Quincey defensively. He got caught pinching fairly often as well The only difference between the two is he is 2x as fast.

Was very sloppy from Smith. He played better last year.

and the sad thing is he was still better than Q.

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
If Kindl was born under a bad sign, what was Cola born under?

Troll bridge, probably...dude's cursed.

Lashoff looked like exactly what kronwall needs. I would leave them as a pair.

Kronwall Lashoff
Smith Ericsson
Quincey White

I don't know if that's wise. It's a lot to ask a rookie to hold up against real 1st liners. Let's not forget, Atkinson and Brassard and Dubinsky are not Toews and Hossa and Sharp, or Sedins and Burrows, etc.

I like the early returns on Lashoff but they'd be wise to be careful with him a bit.

Jun 9, 2011
Detroit
Noticeably better. It is really sad that White and Cola looked like a Norris contenders compared to Smith.

The fact that both those statements are true is problematic.

Well thank god we have a shortened seasons and I can't imagine a whole 82 game season with this defensive core lol.

DRWCountryClub

Jun 28, 2010
There is now way that Kindl is worse than Quincey.

I still think if given the shot(which he never has been) he could be a good number 4.

solo16

Nov 22, 2007
CT
Troll bridge, probably...dude's cursed.

I don't know if that's wise. It's a lot to ask a rookie to hold up against real 1st liners. Let's not forget, Atkinson and Brassard and Dubinsky are not Toews and Hossa and Sharp, or Sedins and Burrows, etc.

I like the early returns on Lashoff but they'd be wise to be careful with him a bit.

You might be right but Kronwall is a do it all dman. He will take most of the responsibility. Lashoff just needs to close the lane and hit the lead rusher. If he does that consistently (without over-committing) Kronwall/Jimmy mostly can take care of the problem. The problem is other defensmen try to make a play. Ultimately if you have that your defensive pair will look like Smith/Quincey. Two players overc-ommitting. I like the balance of aggressive Kronwall and conservative Lashoff.

DRWCountryClub

Jun 28, 2010
You might be right but Kronwall is a do it all dman. He will take most of the responsibility. Lashoff just needs to close the lane and hit the lead rusher. If he does that consistently (without over-committing) Kronwall/Jimmy mostly can take care of the problem. The problem is other defensmen try to make a play. Ultimately if you have that your defensive pair will look like Smith/Quincey. Two players overc-ommitting. I like the balance of aggressive Kronwall and conservative Lashoff.

Yeah, well said.

You know Lashoff will keep it simple too, based on the fact that he's never been in the NHL before.

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground
Khan via Twitter

Babcock said Colaiacovo will be out for weeks due to shoulder injury

Babs is hopeful Ericsson plays tomorrow but not 100% sure. Too bad about Cola, he wasn't half bad tonight and if he was healthy we could play Lashoff and let Q rot in the press box.

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005

Kronwall CAN do it all, but he also likes to gamble offensively as well as gamble to make those big hits.

I agree that a guy like Lashoff would pair well with him, I just think if you're putting him on the 1st pair and on the 1st PK pair as well, you're signing him up for 20+ minutes a night against the opposition's best forwards. That's a tall order.

RedWingsNow*

Lashoff got turned around by NHL speedsters a couple times tonight. Don't get carried away folks. Jimmy H bailed him out at least twice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->