Post-Game Talk: Wings v Sens 3 stars

sully6one

Unregistered User
Aug 6, 2011
Michigan
Or the play where he pulled a Datsyuk and knocked an incoming player on his butt. He also forced a couple turnovers with defensive play.

Once he feels comfortable that he's not going to be demoted at any time, he's going to be a more consistent player. But as it stands, I think he's showing us that all those criticisms of his game are no longer relevant.

He's not slow, soft. He's not afraid of the hard areas. He's not bad defensively. There's seriously nothing to dislike about his play other than that he's not 6'5 and 220.

He probably had the most turnovers though tonight.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
So glad we didn't sign Semin or Grabovski! This team is ****ing ****. Old and out of gas we need a major trade. Even when we win this collection of players are boring as ****. Signing Alfie is a microcosm of Ken Hollands philosophy. It's dated and very lame now...

grabo hasn't been much better than weiss. scored 4 points in that one game (first game iirc) but outside of that, he hasn't been that good. flip has been much better. and based on reviews, derek roy.

though with his deal, it would be much better to have him than weiss.

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
next game is Nov 23

he probably didn't realize, there's major hype in Ottawa for December 1st. tickets i usually pay $20-40 for are going for at least $90 for Alfie's return.

plus i think Ottawa had to show up tonight for the fans, against Alfie not that I'm mad. It's probably not the biggest deal in Detroit which is fine and exactly what i think Alfie wanted but here he was the best player we ever had and highest scorer in franchise history and longest raining captian in NHL history so they're hyping the crap out of the Dec 1st.

even right now on sportscentre they've been talking about blowing out Alfie and the wings for 5 minutes now. usually it's just highlights and move on. total hype here.

Chance on Chance

Jul 15, 2009
Canada
grabo hasn't been much better than weiss. scored 4 points in that one game (first game iirc) but outside of that, he hasn't been that good. flip has been much better. and based on reviews, derek roy.

I dont think flip wanted to stay here though even if we offered him more money. Dont think him and Babs saw eye to eye.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I dont think flip wanted to stay here though even if we offered him more money. Dont think him and Babs saw eye to eye.

There has been this talk that Babcock's "message is getting old" in some ears. I could think this Weiss <> Filppula swap was an idea just to get a new, similar level guy to buy Mike's message again.

Weiss had a horrible start in new system and it will take time. Filppula got a lucky start (what, 4 goals in 7 shots) but has been cooling lately. And also Tampa fans have started to wonder, why doesn't he shoot the puck... he'll probably be their scapegoat in few years...

Chance on Chance

Jul 15, 2009
Canada
There has been this talk that Babcock's "message is getting old" in some ears. I could think this Weiss <> Filppula swap was an idea just to get a new, similar level guy to buy Mike's message again.

Weiss had a horrible start in new system and it will take time. Filppula got a lucky start (what, 4 goals in 7 shots) but has been cooling lately. And also Tampa fans have started to wonder, why doesn't he shoot the puck... he'll probably be their scapegoat in few years...

I tihnk it was a pretty even swap for us. Now weiss just needs to pick it up. I like to think Nyquist would complement him well if he ever makes it up

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course

flip's play there isn't measured in points only. even if he had weiss point totals, he still would have made much bigger impact. one of tampa's best players, basically every tampa fan is happy with him, i think.

the opposite with weiss.

but i don't think flip would have worked as well with det. change of scenery might be what needs/needed.

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga

I think the Wings wanted some long term stability in the #2C position & IIRC neither Roy or Grabovski were really willing to go long term. It left Weiss & Filppula for our needs & we had already tried Filppula there & it didn't work so it left Weiss who we were already high on, IIRC the Wings were looking at trading for him before he got hurt last year.

While he hasn't been effective offensively the past couple of games Weiss has looked realgud defensively to me. It seems like he is getting used to the system & if he can finish the year with 40-50 points in the last 70 or so games I'd call it an okay year for him.

The TSN crew was also talking about the hard time Weiss is having adjusting to Detroit and that when they talked to Babcock earlier in the day that he said he wants Weiss to reset and just get comfortable playing the system, that right now the points don't matter just get used to the system & the points will come.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
I think the Wings wanted some long term stability in the #2C position & IIRC neither Roy or Grabovski were really willing to go long term. It left Weiss & Filppula for our needs & we had already tried Filppula there & it didn't work so it left Weiss who we were already high on, IIRC the Wings were looking at trading for him before he got hurt last year.

That's correct. Wings were scouting him heavily before his injury last year. Holland may have actually made a trade had he not gotten hurt.

The TSN crew was also talking about the hard time Weiss is having adjusting to Detroit and that when they talked to Babcock earlier in the day that he said he wants Weiss to reset and just get comfortable playing the system, that right now the points don't matter just get used to the system & the points will come.

That seems like a legitimate concern. I'm not worried about Weiss at all. Points will come for him as soon as the rest of the offense gets fixed.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
He was credited with 1. Abdelkader and Bertuzzi were each credited with 2.

This is how I know the turnover stat is ********. I personally counted at least 2 turnovers from Tatar.

He probably had the most turnovers though tonight.

Yeah. That's what I mean about consistency though. I saw this last year with Nyquist too. When he was first called up he was very nervous for a few games. Trying to do too much, trying to force it, turn something that isn't there into a magical scoring chance. The puck just bounced over his stick and led to turnovers. But obviously his hands and play picked up considerably and he made some dynamite plays during the playoffs. That's what happens when a guy isn't terrified of losing his job if he doesn't impress every night.

You

sully6one

Unregistered User
Aug 6, 2011
Michigan
How many times did the Sens score when he was on the ice? He created scoring chances.

I'm not saying anything besides he turned the puck over too much. He needs to learn to be smarter with the puck. Not try to dangle a guy at the blue line. Nyquist had the same problem last year.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013

While he hasn't been effective offensively the past couple of games Weiss has looked realgud defensively to me. It seems like he is getting used to the system & if he can finish the year with 40-50 points in the last 70 or so games I'd call it an okay year for him.

If the Wings could go back and do it over again, knowing what they know now, I doubt they would sign weiss. He's been so brutal. I hate hearing about this system crap and how he just needs to get used to it. What's Detroit's system? What do they do that's so hard for weiss to comprehend? The truth is they don't do anything significantly different from any other team. Weiss just isn't very good. He's been better on defense than offense but still not good at either IMO. Weiss deserved most of the blame for Ryan's 2nd goal last night. Lazy backcheck and didn't pick up his man...Ryan just strolled in untouched to tap in the rebound.

Chance on Chance

Jul 15, 2009
Canada
If the Wings could go back and do it over again, knowing what they know now, I doubt they would sign weiss. He's been so brutal. I hate hearing about this system crap and how he just needs to get used to it. What's Detroit's system? What do they do that's so hard for weiss to comprehend? The truth is they don't do anything significantly different from any other team. Weiss just isn't very good. He's been better on defense than offense but still not good at either IMO. Weiss deserved most of the blame for Ryan's 2nd goal last night. Lazy backcheck and didn't pick up his man...Ryan just strolled in untouched to tap in the rebound.

for one we play man on man defense compared to zone defense that he played in Florida. Back then he probably didn't have as much defensive responsibility too. Offense wise he needs to pick it up though and cant rely on getting better line mates. And there wasnt much else available

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
for one we play man on man defense compared to zone defense that he played in Florida. Back then he probably didn't have as much defensive responsibility too. Offense wise he needs to pick it up though and cant rely on getting better line mates. And there wasnt much else available

Not sure I buy that but for the sake of argument fine but that's what training camp is for. He's a 30 year old NHL vet, he shouldn't have a hard time understanding his responsibilities. It's quite a concern that through training camp, preseason, and 11 NHL games he still doesn't understand what he's supposed to do on the ice. I really don't think the system is the problem, its just he isn't very good.

I agree there wasn't much else available. But you don't have to spend money if the value isn't there. We could have got the same production if we just promoted Riley Sheahan and used the 4M+ saved to possibly try to trade for a real top 6 forward or top 4 defenseman.

RedWingzz

Everybody loves Raymond
Apr 14, 2009
Canada
he probably didn't realize, there's major hype in Ottawa for December 1st. tickets i usually pay $20-40 for are going for at least $90 for Alfie's return.

plus i think Ottawa had to show up tonight for the fans, against Alfie not that I'm mad. It's probably not the biggest deal in Detroit which is fine and exactly what i think Alfie wanted but here he was the best player we ever had and highest scorer in franchise history and longest raining captian in NHL history so they're hyping the crap out of the Dec 1st.

even right now on sportscentre they've been talking about blowing out Alfie and the wings for 5 minutes now. usually it's just highlights and move on. total hype here.

Yep, I have tickets to the Dec 1st game and the February 27th game already. I am from where you call "here". Live in Ottawa.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
I have never seen a whole game with Datsyuk, where he was so totally taken out of the action. Totally invisible.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
I have never seen a whole game with Datsyuk, where he was so totally taken out of the action. Totally invisible.

The whole team played like garbage, but yeah, it's the first game where I've ever not noticed Datsyuk on the ice.

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
If the Wings could go back and do it over again, knowing what they know now, I doubt they would sign weiss. He's been so brutal. I hate hearing about this system crap and how he just needs to get used to it. What's Detroit's system?

The Wings play a man to man style defence. Instead of everyone having a set area on the ice that they cover/roam each player has to cover a certain player. I'm not well versed in man to man coverage, none of the teams I've played on or coached have employed man to man but I've heard it's hard to learn, IIRC less then 5 teams in the NHL use man to man defence.

Weiss just isn't very good. He's been better on defense than offense but still not good at either IMO. Weiss deserved most of the blame for Ryan's 2nd goal last night. Lazy backcheck and didn't pick up his man...Ryan just strolled in untouched to tap in the rebound.

I stopped watching after it was 5-1. In a game where you are getting blown out and nobody is playing well the 6th goal is not a big deal. Over their careers Weiss has been far more consistent offensively & has been an adequate #1C for a playoff team. He may not produce his usual numbers here but this is only year 1 of a 5 year deal. He should be back to producing 50-60 points next year & there is still the chance he could get to 50 this year. He's always been more of a playmaker & our secondary scorers just aren't scoring on the plays he makes.

Last edited:

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I'm not saying anything besides he turned the puck over too much. He needs to learn to be smarter with the puck. Not try to dangle a guy at the blue line. Nyquist had the same problem last year.

At least the mistakes were aggressive mistakes, though. Personally, I'm more okay with mistakes made when being aggressive and making something happen. What drives me nuts are the mistakes that come from guys being too passive and/or not engaging. A guy might screw up, but screw up at full speed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->