Wings sign MSU’s Taro Hirose

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Grats for the first NHL career goal.

7 games and 1+5=6 points.

Guy just seems to be a real deal. Haven't seen a bad game from him yet. Always makes something to happen, draws a penalty, makes good passes etc.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Guy just seems to be a real deal. Haven't seen a bad game from him yet. Always makes something to happen, draws a penalty, makes good passes etc.
Yes.

There are streaks for guys where they pick up garbage points but aren't playing that well. I don't think that's happening here. You can see the kid being in the game and playing well. He's making stuff happen. He's no passenger either. While he too often looks to pass to the "vets" on his line, he is making plays on his own too. He's gaining the zone, winning one on one battles, making great passes.

I'm really f***ing excited for this kid. I love watching intelligent hockey and he has hockey IQ out the butt. That much is clear. He's top 3 hockey IQ on the team, from this small sample size.

Reactions: Mister Bungle

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
I am happy he is playing but people need to temper their expectations here. Casey Mittelstadt one of the best prospects out there started the exact same way right after his college season. He was projected as a top calder contender...check out his numbers in his first full season. 12 goals and 25 points in 74 games.

He is still quit talented as is Hirose just give them some time and don't expect them to light it up right away.

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

It's possible to commit no mistakes and still lose
Nov 2, 2018
I am happy he is playing but people need to temper their expectations here. Casey Mittelstadt one of the best prospects out there started the exact same way right after his college season. He was projected as a top calder contender...check out his numbers in his first full season. 12 goals and 25 points in 74 games.

He is still quit talented as is Hirose just give them some time and don't expect them to light it up right away.

Tempered expectations are good to have, but with where we are at this season I think it's ok to hype out on the kid.
We will have a better understand of who and what he is come this time next year.

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
I love this play by Hirose. Very simple, but sexy.

Oh ya I loved that one too. Not many guys on our team have the ability to not only see that play but make that soft back hand sauce on the tape. Kid is the real deal

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Oh ya I loved that one too. Not many guys on our team have the ability to not only see that play but make that soft back hand sauce on the tape. Kid is the real deal
The funny thing is that the highlights show Helm with a nice saucer pass as well on the Bertuzzi goal.

Reactions: izlez

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Hirose is one of several very encouraging pieces. This season has been an incredible step forward in acquiring/developing secondary scoring throughout the (eventual) lineup, relative to my outlook at this time last year.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Hirose is one of several very encouraging pieces. This season has been an incredible step forward in acquiring/developing secondary scoring throughout the (eventual) lineup, relative to my outlook at this time last year.

I would second this

I think KH and his staff have proven too be very good at identifying, drafting and developing talent later in the draft consistently better than just about anyone else.

Now we need to hit on some high end picks and move out some old deadweight contracts.

Reactions: jkutswings

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish

Yeah, but Mittelstadt was a Gopher. They excel at disappointing people:nod:

Reactions: Sparty

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Hirose should be argument A-Z for the spots in the NHL being there for the taking if you're a young player and that they shouldn't be granted because someone looks okay in a role.

You have to bring something that makes the team NEED you. If you're a fourth liner and you are un-noticeable... that means you played well, but it's also not a strong argument for keeping you up or giving you more of a shot.

I listened to Sean Avery's interview on the Spittin Chiclets podcast and he basically said the same thing in his first training camp with the Wings. He went and he turned stuff upside down. He pestered people, made his mark, and made the team. The incredibly ****ing stacked team.

If a guy like Turgeon or Holmstrom or Callahan don't get a shot, it is because they don't flash any skill/truculence/insert aspect of your choice that the team doesn't already have... or they have some glaring flaw compared to the other option. They aren't actively being held down or anything nefarious.

I had something when I worked at a Ford assembly plant that I created a process that made our reporting of data so much better. I got sent on a trip to other plants to help them install and learn it. I had the benefit of travelling and all that because I showed something above and beyond. All of my co-workers didn't get to go on trips around, because they did a fine job and they went home. I did a fine job AND showed that I had something unique that was helped. Doing a fine job isn't enough to earn a promotion.

Doing a fine job after promotion isn't enough to maintain said promotion in sports. For this one, see the movie Rudy. Rudy makes the Irish practice squad because he's all heart and gives 100% every single practice and demands it of the guys he goes against to give 100%. The coaches in the movie even say "if you so much as slow down on one rep, you'll be gone". You make and you earn your way in life and in sports. Somewhere in locking guys up for long term and trying to fit salary cap numbers and all like that, we forget this.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
He damn well better be a lock
Yeah, I can see him getting demoted to the third like with Nielsen if AA goes in a slump, but I don't see him getting sent down. He's already processing the game at an NHL pace, he won't gain anything by playing in the AHL.

The amazing part of his game is that he makes his linemates better. That alone will keep him in the league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad