Wings sign MSU’s Taro Hirose

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
He isn't overly fast, but he plays and processes the game very fast which is important. He does not need to have the puck on his stick for a long time to make effective plays. I think he has a pretty good head for the game.
Fast is a relative term, he's only slow when compared to elite skaters like AA and Larkin. Hirose is an above average skater. I'm more concerned about his size, he's not going to win too many puck battles. Doesn't seem to have the frame to be able to bulk up.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Fast is a relative term, he's only slow when compared to elite skaters like AA and Larkin. Hirose is an above average skater. I'm more concerned about his size, he's not going to win too many puck battles. Doesn't seem to have the frame to be able to bulk up.

Smart players win puck battles despite being small. Brayden Point for example was one of the top penalty killers and shutdown centermen leaguewide until last season. They obviously changed his role this season but that has more to do with Cirelli than anything else.

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

It's possible to commit no mistakes and still lose
Nov 2, 2018

I think this kid will pass his way out of trouble. Plus with his skill set he's not the guy I want to see battling in corners, I want him on open ice making plays. I think he's a breakout guy and a set up man in the O-zone. Let Bert go dig it out in battles.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I think this kid will pass his way out of trouble. Plus with his skill set he's not the guy I want to see battling in corners, I want him on open ice making plays. I think he's a breakout guy and a set up man in the O-zone. Let Bert go dig it out in battles.
Still gotta be able to break up the cycle on the defensive end. That's the glaring weakness I see, and Blashill does too. No defensive zone starts, Peumpel took his place every time.

Glendenning is his piano puller or whatever you want to call it. Bert moved to the first line when Hirose got moved to the second.

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

Nov 2, 2018
Still gotta be able to break up the cycle on the defensive end. That's the glaring weakness I see, and Blashill does too. No defensive zone starts, Peumpel took his place every time.

Glendenning is his piano puller or whatever you want to call it. Bert moved to the first line when Hirose got moved to the second.
Sure, thats fair. Gotta hope he is teachable and works on that aspect of his game. I'm on the Hirose hype train right now and think he will work these issues out.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Sure, thats fair. Gotta hope he is teachable and works on that aspect of his game. I'm on the Hirose hype train right now and think he will work these issues out.
I'm Japanese American, you know I'm rooting for him. I'm just pointing out a weakness he needs to work on. Blash is doing a good job of sheltering Hirose when necessary.

I've never seen a rookie player enter the NHL with so much vision in the offensive zone and sawareness of exactly where his teammates are on the ice. He's definitely got that going for him. If not for his size and defensive issues, he'd be a first line winger right off the bat.

Reactions: Sir Savage the 21st

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

Nov 2, 2018
I'm Japanese American, you know I'm rooting for him. I'm just pointing out a weakness he needs to work on. Blash is doing a good job of sheltering Hirose when necessary.

I've never seen a rookie player enter the NHL with so much vision in the offensive zone and sawareness of exactly where his teammates are on the ice. He's definitely got that going for him. If not for his size and defensive issues, he'd be a first line winger right off the bat.

I don't know much about why he was passed up in the draft. My guess is size and defensive issues like you've stated. If that's the case then I'm glad he has them because he's in our system now. But my glasses are rose colored with this kid so I may be overlooking some aspects of his play. I'll have to watch him more closely next game.

My last post wasn't meant to come off as cheeky, btw. Incase it did.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I don't know much about why he was passed up in the draft. My guess is size and defensive issues like you've stated. If that's the case then I'm glad he has them because he's in our system now. But my glasses are rose colored with this kid so I may be overlooking some aspects of his play. I'll have to watch him more closely next game.

My last post wasn't meant to come off as cheeky, btw. Incase it did.
No worries.

He wasn't drafted because he didn't play junior A until after he was 18. He played in a prep league during high school. Basically a late bloomer, and size may be a factor there as well.

Someone mentioned Gaudreau earlier... apparently Hirose is from Calgary and a Johnny fan.

Reactions: Mister Bungle

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
I am not exaggerating when I say I genuinely think there is a legitimate arguement that he has the highest hockey IQ currently on the team other than Vanek. Obviously we have better players, but our big 3 young guys rely more on athletisism and skill than vision or play reading.

I dont think he’ll ever drive a top two line, but he is the perfect complementary player to add secondary scoring anywhere in your lineup.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012

His skating (both acceleration and top-end speed) are both decidedly average for his size at the NHL level. His hockey IQ should mitigate that to a certain degree. Call me old fashion but the ability to break up the cycle is pretty low on the list of things I look for in a wing. But hey, maybe you aren't a slow hand fan.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I dont think he’ll ever drive a top two line, but he is the perfect complementary player to add secondary scoring anywhere in your lineup.
He's already on the second line, and he'll be there next season unless the Wings pick up a free agent top 6 forward. Blash will just shelter him from defensive zone starts as I mentioned before.

On a better team, yeah he would be on the third scoring line.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
He's already on the second line, and he'll be there next season unless the Wings pick up a free agent top 6 forward. Blash will just shelter him from defensive zone starts as I mentioned before.

On a better team, yeah he would be on the third scoring line.

I would've thought the same thing but he's not being sheltered so far
..Also has 5 Takeaways in 5 gp + 5A. Somehow I'm just as impressed with the takeaways/gp than the assists, b/c some of those could've been secondary assists (I've missed a few games due to working late).

Zone Starts (EV)
OZS% DZS%
40.7% 59.3%

NHL Possession Metrics (Even Strength)

Corsi (EV)Fenwick (EV)PDO (EV)Zone Starts (EV)
SeasonAgeTeamLgGPTime on Ice (in Minutes)">TOIShots + Blocks + Misses" data-over-header="Corsi (EV)">CFShots + Blocks + Misses" data-over-header="Corsi (EV)">CACF / (CF + CA)
Above 50% means the team was controlling the
puck more often than not with this player on the
ice in this situation." data-over-header="Corsi (EV)">CF%
CF% - CFoff%
On-Ice Corsi For % - Off-Ice Corsi For %" data-over-header="Corsi (EV)">CF% rel
Shots + Misses" data-over-header="Fenwick (EV)">FFShots + Misses" data-over-header="Fenwick (EV)">FAFF / (FF + FA)
Above 50% means the team was controlling the
puck more often than not with this player on the
ice in this situation." data-over-header="Fenwick (EV)">FF%
FF% - FFoff%
On-Ice Fenwick For % - Off-Ice Fenwick For %" data-over-header="Fenwick (EV)">FF% rel
oiGFShooting % while this player/team was on the ice" data-over-header="PDO (EV)">oiSH%oiGASave % while this player/team was on the ice" data-over-header="PDO (EV)">oiSV%Shooting % + Save %" data-over-header="PDO (EV)">PDOOffensive Zone Faceoffs / (Offensive Zone Faceoffs + Defensive Zone Faceoffs),
that took place while on the ice" data-over-header="Zone Starts (EV)">oZS%
Defensive Zone Faceoffs / (Offensive Zone Faceoffs + Defensive Zone Faceoffs),
that took place while on the ice" data-over-header="Zone Starts (EV)">dZS%
2018-1922DETNHL456.0376735.6-9.6314839.2-4.0418.2391.9110.140.759.3
CareerNHL456.0376735.6-9.6314839.2-4.0418.2391.9110.140.759.3
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TFOOT] [/TFOOT]

Last edited:

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I didn't see a single defensive zone start against SJS (the only game I watched on HD), anyone know how to get a face off summary for a game?

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
I am not exaggerating when I say I genuinely think there is a legitimate arguement that he has the highest hockey IQ currently on the team other than Vanek. Obviously we have better players, but our big 3 young guys rely more on athletisism and skill than vision or play reading.

I think I'm with you man.

He's just in the right spot 90% of the time. And these are his first 5 pro games? He's thinking the game. I love watching smart players. We get a top down view so we see more than most players and all their options. But once in a while you get those smart players who seem to know their options as well as you can see them on TV.

It's beautiful to watch. Nothing about these 5 games indicates, to me, that he's a flash in the pan, unsustainable lucky dogger. He's just good. And mostly because he's smart as hell

He also definitely has won board battles already. He's not coughing it up.

I actually think his biggest problem is that he defers too much too players like AA. He's looking to pass. He needs to be more confident in his own abilities. Then again it's only been 5 games and he's been an amateur this whole time so it's understandable that he's not there yet.

Last edited:

wingfan

Jul 1, 2012

He's just in the right spot 90% of the time. And these are his first 5 pro games? He's thinking the game. I love watching smart players. We get a top down view so we see more than most players and all their options. But once in a while you get those smart players who seem to know their options as well as you can see them on TV.

It's beautiful to watch. Nothing about these 5 games indicates, to me, that he's a flash in the pan, unsustainable lucky dogger. He's just good. And mostly because he's smart as hell.

That stop and pull up in OT that he made on that pass to Dekeyser to buy some time and space and wait for the late man was a veteran move, not something I'd expect from a rookie in his 5th NHL game. He got the secondary assist but was 100% responsible for the development of the play that led to Bert's game winner.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
If he can be a 40 point 3rd liner that will be an awesome and cheap free signing. One less player they need to use a draft pick on or money on in FA to fill out a competitive roster.

Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Another playmaking winger was something we needed after Nyquist left. Happy to have him aboard.

Still waiting for that wow moment but he's been steady and smart without a doubt.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

It's beautiful to watch. Nothing about these 5 games indicates, to me, that he's a flash in the pan, unsustainable lucky dogger. He's just good. And mostly because he's smart as hell

He also definitely has won board battles already. He's not coughing it up.

I actually think his biggest problem is that he defers too much too players like AA. He's looking to pass. He needs to be more confident in his own abilities. Then again it's only been 5 games and he's been an amateur this whole time so it's understandable that he's not there yet.

I completly agree with the last point. Hes looking to pass ALL THE TIME. Once he settles in and becomes accustomed to being an NHL player hopefully he'll start shooting more. If he adds a shot to his game he could be a pretty dangerous offensive player for the wings. He definitely is smart out there and can pass though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->