Confirmed with Link: Wings sign Kent Huskins for 1 year

icKx

Vanek 4 Prez
May 7, 2010
Intertubes
According to Wikipedia, Mr. Huskins is a hockey player who has played for hockey teams? Anything else?
Scouting report

ASSETS: Plays a safe brand of hockey that keeps the mistakes to a minimum. Is very dependable and will play through injuries.

FLAWS: Lacks the overall skills to contribute on offense consistently. Does not use his good size nearly enough. Is injured a lot.

CAREER POTENTIAL: Depth defenseman.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Any news from the waiver wire?

I think nobody has to be waived yet. They are using the Short-Term IR somehow at season start to open spots.

Nobody is at LTIR so far and they have 26 guys there right now?

23 was the amount before calling Lashoff and Nyquist, and before adding Huskins.

last_sd

Jun 9, 2007
I think nobody has to be waived yet. They are using the Short-Term IR somehow at season start to open spots.

23 was the amount before calling Lashoff and Nyquist, and before adding Huskins.

They put Bert and Coli on IR.
I don't know if that's enough

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere

I meant whether we picked up Vandermeer or Stewart off of waivers. We didn't... Color me shocked. I thought that move was obvious given the current state of things. I guess Holland thought we didn't need more D depth.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
Ooooof course it was Lebda and Rafalski on the ice. Who else!

And regular season Ozzie in the net. :)

Scouting report

ASSETS: Plays a safe brand of hockey that keeps the mistakes to a minimum. Is very dependable and will play through injuries.

FLAWS: Lacks the overall skills to contribute on offense consistently. Does not use his good size nearly enough. Is injured a lot.

CAREER POTENTIAL: Depth defenseman.

Should fit right in!

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Stewart and Vamdermeer cleared waivers

I feel like Stewart would've been more useful to us than guys like Emmerton and Miller (as well as Cleary and Samuelsson, but that is my opinion). He actually grinds and digs and hits, from what I've seen.

JBauerly97

Jan 8, 2013
Coldwater, MI
I feel like Stewart would've been more useful to us than guys like Emmerton and Miller (as well as Cleary and Samuelsson, but that is my opinion). He actually grinds and digs and hits, from what I've seen.

I thought the same thing given the success of teams that have guys with grit, but that's why Ken is the GM. He knows and I don't.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington

Of course. Emmerton was horrible last night except for one shift.

Toots, Gator and Stewart would be a menacing 4th line.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Well good news is he will bring Brianne Huskins hopefully.

I0000PLshzR0KQXE.jpg

I00005jahCppKeBk.jpg

On the hockey he is a decent veteran player and a good pk guy. I would have like Clark who is down in OKC, but this was probably my second choice.

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
On the hockey he is a decent veteran player and a good pk guy. I would have like Clark who is down in OKC, but this was probably my second choice.

I don't know a ton about this guy, other than he's a vet who apparently can skate and play sound D in his own zone. Sign me up at this point! Let Smith play with him for a while. And hopefully he can help our god awful PK.

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
I don't know a ton about this guy, other than he's a vet who apparently can skate and play sound D in his own zone. Sign me up at this point! Let Smith play with him for a while. And hopefully he can help our god awful PK.

That's seriously what the Wings need right now; granted, Lashoff is a step in the right direction, but he's still a babe in the woods at this point.

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
That's seriously what the Wings need right now; granted, Lashoff is a step in the right direction, but he's still a babe in the woods at this point.

I didn't think Lashoff looked out of place last night, which is about the best thing you could say about any of our D at this point. But yeah, I'd rather import a vet who can help right the PK ship and maybe be a better pairing guy for Smith (I'd almost rather have the Wings play shorthanded with only 1 D on the ice during Smith or Q's shifts than see them together).

Best case scenario- Huskins comes in and makes our 3rd pairing not suck, the PK gets better, and then E builds off of last season and becomes a legit top 4 stay-at-home guy.

And I'd like to see the PK batting average creep above .500 if at all possible. :nod:

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
I didn't think Lashoff looked out of place last night, which is about the best thing you could say about any of our D at this point. But yeah, I'd rather import a vet who can help right the PK ship and maybe be a better pairing guy for Smith (I'd almost rather have the Wings play shorthanded with only 1 D on the ice during Smith or Q's shifts than see them together).

Best case scenario- Huskins comes in and makes our 3rd pairing not suck, the PK gets better, and then E builds off of last season and becomes a legit top 4 stay-at-home guy.

And I'd like to see the PK batting average creep above .500 if at all possible. :nod:

Oh, I think Lashoff looked right at home, though a little timid due to not wanting to make any major mistakes. Yeah, he was out there for the 2 PP goals against, but you can't expect a guy to be stone-cold perfect his first game out, and otherwise he did better than I expected.

Hypothetically couldn't they call up Ouellet if the d-man situation got bad enough?

It would have to either get REALLY bad, or have them on the verge of missing the playoffs. I think he'd probably get more of a shot in Grand Rapids since they'll likely be headed to the Playoffs.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
It would have to either get REALLY bad, or have them on the verge of missing the playoffs. I think he'd probably get more of a shot in Grand Rapids since they'll likely be headed to the Playoffs.

I expect his team to go deep in the playoffs. Mlive hinted at Paetsch or Nicastro (thought he was hurt but whatever) as the other options they looked into. Interesting that Almqvist wasn't named and Nicastro was, but I like how Max's game will translate up the chain and he did show good chemistry in a couple games with Smith.

It would have been nice outside the box thinking though to bring up Ouellet for six games and get a good look. Of course I am not sure he is over his ankle issues, seems the rush back to play in the WJC has slowed him down a bit.

In any event would be surprised if Ouellet makes it to Grand Rapids this year, his team should be a semifinalist in the Q. If they crash out sure, but I am more certain of Sproul being available at the end of the season and beginning of the playoffs.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
maybe instead of improving our defence holland will just look to improve our goaltending and acquire luongo sending howard plus the other way?

He's being paid $2.25 million right now and is a free agent after this season. I'd say he's great value for that price.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad