Confirmed with Link: Wings sign G Victor Brattstrom to ELC

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
But didn't that work for Merzlikins because he was so highly regarded as one the best goalies outside the NHL at the time, having been a starter at the top tier for something like 4 seasons?

In contrast, JVP doesn't have anywhere near the same record and Red Wings fans and even their media barely bring him up and can't even agree if the team even still holds his rights... I highly doubt he follows the same path as Merzlikins. Especially with Yzerman in charge.

He's probably going to have to at least start one season in the AHL before he either plays his way into the NHL or uses a clause to go back home if he hasn't been called up by a certain point.

Van Pottelberghe is one of the best goalies outside of the NHL, too. This is already his 5th pro season and he's played well and split starts in all of them. He's a clear cut starter now at the highest lvl. He's just 24, so 3 years younger than Merzlikins. I'd say he's at least as talented as Merzlikins. Again, with Europeans you never know until you know but I don't know why Van Pottelberghe shouldn't be able to pull a Merzlikins.

Detroit media doesn't know a lot. Didn't they announce Larsson as the big deal? Everybody here believed them. I always told you that he's crap and got called out for it. Turns out the guy can barely stop pucks in the ECHL.

I don't know why the Detroit Redwings shouldn't have his rights. Makes no sense to me.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
This did not age well...

3 games in the ECHL, 4.25 GAA and a .829 SV %.

A lot of comments about Larsson didn't age well either:laugh:

I had more trust in Brattstrom than I had in Larsson but goalies are never a sure thing and Brattstrom was always a gamble/project. He did look good in camp though.

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
A lot of comments about Larsson didn't age well either:laugh:

I had more trust in Brattstrom than I had in Larsson but goalies are never a sure thing and Brattstrom was always a gamble/project. He did look good in camp though.

I believe the thought behind this pick was that Detroit drafted him as a high floor, low upside player. Keep in mind he was a triple overager (in 3 drafts, teams did not pick him(!)), was a pretty good U20 goalie and had a decent year playing in Sweden's 2nd tier league as a 21 year old. But still, scouts did not talk about him.

Not much is lost here just by looking at the goalies going behind him. I prefered Vehvilainen (also a triple overager), but he did not stick around in the AHL...

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
It's insane how great goalies in Finnish leagues (Vehviläinen won championship, and Brattström did look somewhat decent).

But they did play on teams with our best National Team coaches (Manner Won Liiga 2018, and assistant at World Champs 2019 Ahokas won U18 WJC Gold 2016 and U20 WJC Gold 2019), so it must the the defence or system to make them look good.

And when them come to poor coached teams like Griffins (way to go Ben Simon!), those guys are crap. The individual spikes out. No system to carry him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->