Confirmed with Link: Wings sign G Victor Brattstrom to ELC

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Interesting these Kouvola and Färjestad connections.

Henrik Haukeland played for them at last season, and was phenomenally good ---> signed to Färjestad (SEL) for next season.

Brättström comes to take the starter role from him at KooKoo (FEL).

And Jesper Eliasson moves in Sweden to Färjestad, so a bit more experienced Haukeland is mentoring him at next season.

- Kari Lehtonen is the goaltending coach for KooKoo Kouvola and also for Finnish National team and U20 team.

- This guy is Färjestad BK goaltending coach
Maciej Szwoch Team Staff Profile - Elite Prospects

https://se.linkedin.com/in/maciej-szwoch-b7119382

Maciej Szwoch - Goaltending Consultant

Detroit Red Wings

sep 2015 – nu4 år 8 månader
Responsibilities include scouting and assessing Pro as well as Amateur Goaltenders in Europe.

Last edited:

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
NHL CBA. Only applying to European countries with trade agreements.

...which, with the Swiss Nationalleagues signing it recently, includes all noteworthy leagues in Europe except the KHL.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Maciej Szwoch - Goaltending Consultant

I have never ever heard this guy belonging in our organization before. I remember from Youtube the draft videos, Håkan Andersson talking about that "we have a goalie scout", but the name has been a mystery since today.

NJ Fan 12

Jun 23, 2020
Front office should try everything to get him to come over now. The same goes for Rybar and van Pottelberghe. The organization is in need of young goalies right now.

Had forgotten all about Van Pottelberghe but in looking at Cap Friendly he is listed as Reserved and not Inactive. I assumed that since he was drafted in 2015 that Detroit no longer retained his rights.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Had forgotten all about Van Pottelberghe but in looking at Cap Friendly he is listed as Reserved and not Inactive. I assumed that since he was drafted in 2015 that Detroit no longer retained his rights.

Don't undestarnd why van Pottelberghe's signing deadline would be indefinite like for Russian drafted players.

He is a Swiss player and drafted from Swedish league he played on draft year.

I think Capfriendly is just wrong on that case, like they were about Svechnikov's waiver eligibility at last season.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Don't undestarnd why van Pottelberghe's signing deadline would be indefinite like for Russian drafted players.

I think Capfriendly is just wrong on that case, like they were about Svechnikov's waiver eligibility at last season.

I honestly don't have a clue but I'll tell you where I am here and you can correct me if I'm wrong:

In my view, Van Pottelberghe still is very much a Detroit Redwings prospect. He's currently the best goalie with a Swiss passport...there would have been headlines if Detroit somehow lost his rights. But step by step now:

1.) Van Pottelberghe was drafted out of Sweden and played his draft +1 season there. The Redwings are one year down from their 4 years they had to sign him.

2.) Van Pottelberghe moves back to Switzerland and stays for all four other seasons he played since his draft...with the exception of that 4 game loan to Denmark. Now even if those 4 games somehow do cost Detroit a year, Van Pottelberghe still would be a Redwings prospect.

3.) Until now, the Swiss Leagues, much like the KHL, didn't have a transfer agreement with the NHL because they couldn't come to terms financially. They agreed to respect each others contracts, so NHL teams used to hold the rights of their drafted players indefinitely as long as they played in the KHL or the Swiss Leagues. From how I understand it, this means that those those four years Van Pottelberghe played in Switzerland do not cost Detroit any time to sign the player even though they didn't draft him out of Switzerland. But again, correct me if I'm wrong.

4.) Now that Swiss leagues signed a transfer agreement with the NHL, this means that the Redwings will hold Van Pottelberghe's rights for either 2 or 3 more years. In my humble view it would be pretty ridiculous if that four game loan to Denmark would cost the Redwings a year so I'll assume that they'll hold Van Pottelberghe's rights for three more years...unless he decides to play KHL.

5.) Van Pottelberghe signed a 2 year contract with Biel...without an NHL out clause. With the new transfer agreement though he wouldn't need one to join the Redwings. Assuming that Van Pottelberghe wants to play out his contract despite not necessarily having to, the Redwings would still have one more year to sign him after his current contract expires.

6.) Capfriendly is correct except that in their Redwings reserve list Van Pottelberghe, much like the KHL prospects, is still listed under must sign by "indefinitely". With the new transfer agreement, that cannot not true anymore. Must be either 2022 or 2023...probably, as explained, the latter.

Last edited:
Reactions: Henkka

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Front office should try everything to get him to come over now. The same goes for Rybar and van Pottelberghe. The organization is in need of young goalies right now.

I'm literally scratching my head over Rybar. I thought he was good enough, honestly, to compete for the back-up role for the Red Wings. He didn't even get a chance to earn the starting role in GR really... Idk...

Idk. Idk. Idk. I liked Rybar. I've watched him multiple times... Idk, people sometimes just fall in love with players and see more than there is I guess. I'm literally clueless as to why he wasn't really given a good chance.

* Now for the signing. Glad to see the attempt to add more goalie talent, doesn't change things in the draft imo, especailly if he stays over seas this year. Wanted, want, KHL goalie; Timur Bilyalov. He's an extremely small goalie though. Brattstrom is quite a bit bigger/larger goalie. Feather in the cap signing imo, doesn't hurt, or change any plans they had in the draft or UFA, etc.

Last edited:

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
He is doing alright in Finland. Nothing amazing, just decent. Will turn 24 in March.

Low ceiling player, won't be surprised if he comes over for the 2021-2022 season and be our AHL starter. I don't see any potential for him to be our starter or backup.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020

That's a name that intrigues me. I've heard good things about Joren Van Pottelberghe. How well does his game translate over? What is his overall potential?

GoBoltz56

Brisebois 1st Rounder
Jul 31, 2004
Tampa and Michigan
He is doing alright in Finland. Nothing amazing, just decent. Will turn 24 in March.

Low ceiling player, won't be surprised if he comes over for the 2021-2022 season and be our AHL starter. I don't see any potential for him to be our starter or backup.

He's signed, so he's almost definitely coming over next year. But whether he'll be the starter or not is up in the air.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
That's a name that intrigues me. I've heard good things about Joren Van Pottelberghe. How well does his game translate over? What is his overall potential?

Being a goalie is pretty much the same in Europe and in NA. Some different angles of course but that's, at least in my view, more of an adjustment thing than it would really cause issues longterm. The biggest difference is that there are far more games in NA pro leagues, more condensed schedules with much more travelling involved. That's something skaters have to adjust to, but it's an even bigger change for goalies and nobody can tell before, how a particular goalie is gonna cope with the increased workload.

Right now, van Pottelberghe is clearly the best and most talented netminder with a Swiss passport. Granted, competition wasn't as weak as now in probably a decade or more but still. He's relatively big but very mobile and has a rocksolid technique. He's as calm and laidback as you can imagine. Like I mentioned recently, I never saw him rattled or losing his cool. Aged just 23, he's already in his 5th pro season and has played consistently well in all four previous seasons. So for me I think he's by far Switzerlands best bet to become an NHL starter. But like I've said above, with goalies you never know until you know. That's the case for NA goalies but even more so for European goalies. There are numerous cases where goalies got figured out when playing more or just couldn't handle an increased workload physically or mentally.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
I'm literally scratching my head over Rybar. I thought he was good enough, honestly, to compete for the back-up role for the Red Wings. He didn't even get a chance to earn the starting role in GR really... Idk...

Idk. Idk. Idk. I liked Rybar. I've watched him multiple times... Idk, people sometimes just fall in love with players and see more than there is I guess. I'm literally clueless as to why he wasn't really given a good chance.

Kind of late to the party, but Rybar and Sateri had a pretty even split of the workload in GR that year, and that was with the Wings barely ever having to recall a goalie for most of that season.

From what I remember the Griffins started that season with Sateri at starter and Rybar as backup. As the season wore on, they switched to more of a platoon that eventually saw Rybar get more of the work as a #1A. Eventually Sateri got hurt in late March and missed all but the last game remaining of the regular season which pressed Rybar into the starter job while the Griffins were trying to clinch a playoff spot. IIRC, the team ended the year on a 9 game losing streak and Rybar kind of fell apart during that spell as the Griffins #1. Just a quick look back, he allowed 14 goals in GR's last 3 games that year, 3 of which came in the first 2 of the last game where he allowed 3 goals on 3 shots before they pulled him for Sateri. They ended up clinching the playoffs because the Moose, who needed 2pts to bump GR from the playoffs, lost later on. They ended up going with Sateri for the playoffs.

I think the Wings wanted to bring back Rybar (considering they qualified him) for another year in GR (and IIRC, he was waiver exempt for one more season), but he didn't want to go back to GR or take a 2-way contract when he could make more money in Europe. That said, even without Howard in the picture, Yzerman doesn't seem like the type to take a chance on inexperienced goalies, so Rybar wasn't likely to get much of a chance in the NHL anyway. Might've been better than Pickard (and Howard) though...

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015

IIRC, Switzerland had a period where until recently (April this year I think) they didn't have an IIHF transfer agreement between them and the NHL, similar to how the KHL/Russia doesn't.

Elite Prospects also lists JVP as still under Red Wings control as well. CF is usually pretty responsive to questions, perhaps it's worth asking?

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
IIRC, Switzerland had a period where until recently (April this year I think) they didn't have an IIHF transfer agreement between them and the NHL, similar to how the KHL/Russia doesn't.

Elite Prospects also lists JVP as still under Red Wings control as well. CF is usually pretty responsive to questions, perhaps it's worth asking?

Don't bother to ask. Much like the KHL, Switzerland's transfer agreement with the NHL ended in 2008. So we're talking about 12 years with no agreement. With no agreement in place, NHL teams hold players rights indefinitely. Joren van Pottelberghe is still very much a Redwings prospect and I fully expect him to play in the NHL when his contract in Switzerland expires. He might even come over earlier if the transfer agreement gets extended but I don't think he'd be interested in playing AHL. AHL season very much in doubt now anyway and who knows if next year will be any better.

Reactions: ShelbyZ

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Kind of late to the party, but Rybar and Sateri had a pretty even split of the workload in GR that year, and that was with the Wings barely ever having to recall a goalie for most of that season.

From what I remember the Griffins started that season with Sateri at starter and Rybar as backup. As the season wore on, they switched to more of a platoon that eventually saw Rybar get more of the work as a #1A. Eventually Sateri got hurt in late March and missed all but the last game remaining of the regular season which pressed Rybar into the starter job while the Griffins were trying to clinch a playoff spot. IIRC, the team ended the year on a 9 game losing streak and Rybar kind of fell apart during that spell as the Griffins #1. Just a quick look back, he allowed 14 goals in GR's last 3 games that year, 3 of which came in the first 2 of the last game where he allowed 3 goals on 3 shots before they pulled him for Sateri. They ended up clinching the playoffs because the Moose, who needed 2pts to bump GR from the playoffs, lost later on. They ended up going with Sateri for the playoffs.

I think the Wings wanted to bring back Rybar (considering they qualified him) for another year in GR (and IIRC, he was waiver exempt for one more season), but he didn't want to go back to GR or take a 2-way contract when he could make more money in Europe. That said, even without Howard in the picture, Yzerman doesn't seem like the type to take a chance on inexperienced goalies, so Rybar wasn't likely to get much of a chance in the NHL anyway. Might've been better than Pickard (and Howard) though...

Rybar is essentially a UFA now. If memory serves me right, we loose his rights on his 27th birthday and his birthday is sometime in November.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Rybar is essentially a UFA now. If memory serves me right, we loose his rights on his 27th birthday and his birthday is sometime in November.

I still think it's a shame they didn't give him a chance. Howard is gone now and there was no real need to ride him back then.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
I still think it's a shame they didn't give him a chance. Howard is gone now and there was no real need to ride him back then.
I'm pretty sure they offered him a contract but he didn't want to move to NA yet at that point. Was in his 2nd year with Davos if I remember correctly.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I'm pretty sure they offered him a contract but he didn't want to move to NA yet at that point. Was in his 2nd year with Davos if I remember correctly.

True, but my post was about Rybar...if you see which post I quoted:nod:

Reactions: ChadS

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
True, but my post was about Rybar...if you see which post I quoted:nod:
Oops, sorry about that. Thought it was about JVP.

When we signed Säteri I was pretty certain he would make it up to the Wings at some point as he was so good in the KHL but he definitely struggled badly already in GR. Actually, most of our free agent goalies from Europe have failed to make an impact in GR despite having very good resumés from Europe. Though Säteri did play well in the Florida organization.

Last edited:

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Don't bother to ask. Much like the KHL, Switzerland's transfer agreement with the NHL ended in 2008. So we're talking about 12 years with no agreement. With no agreement in place, NHL teams hold players rights indefinitely..

I thought it was 2011 when it ended (they signed a 4 year agreement with the NHL in 2007), but obviously semantics given that's still well before JVP was drafted. I'm assuming him moving from a league in Sweden to the NLA 2 years after he was drafted switched his rights from 4 years to indefinite?

The NHL and Switzerland reached a transfer agreement this past April, but I'm assuming that only effects draft picks made after it was ratified. The only player drafted in the 2020 draft out of the NLA (or Switz. at all) was Benjamin Baumgartner by the Devils. CF lists his signing deadline as 2022, which aligns with the usual for players drafted from clubs outside NA (4 years if they are 18-19 when drafted, 2 years if 20 or over - Baumgartner turned 20 in April).

I actually came back to post one example that shows CF is likely correct: Merzlikins was drafted by the Jackets (out of the NLA) in 2014 and didn't sign till spring of 2019, so he was likely in the same indefinite boat.

Joren van Pottelberghe is still very much a Redwings prospect and I fully expect him to play in the NHL when his contract in Switzerland expires. He might even come over earlier if the transfer agreement gets extended but I don't think he'd be interested in playing AHL. AHL season very much in doubt now anyway and who knows if next year will be any better.

Realistically, it's probably pretty slim that JVP comes over and doesn't spend at least the start of his first season in NA in the AHL. I'm sure he's aware of this though, so I'm guessing at this point he's probably waiting till he turns 24 (June 2021) to sign, so his required 2-way ELC can only be for one year and his next contract would be eligible for arbitration. Then he ends up anywhere from 1 to 3 years away from severing the Red Wings control over his NHL destiny.

Last edited:

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I thought it was 2011 when it ended (they signed a 4 year agreement with the NHL in 2007), but obviously semantics given that's still well before JVP was drafted. I'm assuming him moving from a league in Sweden to the NLA 2 years after he was drafted switched his rights from 4 years to indefinite?

The NHL and Switzerland reached a transfer agreement this past April, but I'm assuming that only effects draft picks made after it was ratified. The only player drafted in the 2020 draft out of the NLA (or Switz. at all) was Benjamin Baumgartner by the Devils. CF lists his signing deadline as 2022, which aligns with the usual for players drafted from clubs outside NA (4 years if they are 18-19 when drafted, 2 years if 20 or over - Baumgartner turned 20 in April).

I actually came back to post one example that shows CF is likely correct: Merzlikins was drafted by the Jackets (out of the NLA) in 2014 and didn't sign till spring of 2019, so he was likely in the same indefinite boat.

Realistically, it's probably pretty slim that JVP comes over and doesn't spend at least the start of his first season in NA in the AHL. I'm sure he's aware of this though, so I'm guessing at this point he's probably waiting till he turns 24 (June 2021) to sign, so his required 2-way ELC can only be for one year and his next contract would be eligible for arbitration. Then he ends up anywhere from 1 to 3 years away from severing the Red Wings control over his NHL destiny.

I don't think he'll come over to play AHL at all. He's gonna try and pull a Merzlikins, especially now that he's seen it work.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015

I kind of thought it would carry until 6/30 following his 27th b-day (like it says in the bubble when you hover over the 27th Bday tag on CapFriendly), but I could be wrong.

Even then, that's still pretty moot. Wings could hypothetically send him a contract offer in the Spring, but if it's not to his liking he can simply wait till summer and take offers from any other interested NHL teams.

I'm guessing the Rybar ship sailed when he didn't want to re-sign right away last summer and the Wings hitched GR's wagon to Pickard for 2 years. Rybar even signed his extension for the current season way back in early December last year. It's a shame too because he likely would've had a better shot to get some NHL time with Howard's groin injury in December and Pickard not doing so hot in the AHL, let alone the NHL.

Reactions: kliq

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
I don't think he'll come over to play AHL at all. He's gonna try and pull a Merzlikins, especially now that he's seen it work.

But didn't that work for Merzlikins because he was so highly regarded as one the best goalies outside the NHL at the time, having been a starter at the top tier for something like 4 seasons?

In contrast, JVP doesn't have anywhere near the same record and Red Wings fans and even their media barely bring him up and can't even agree if the team even still holds his rights... I highly doubt he follows the same path as Merzlikins. Especially with Yzerman in charge.

He's probably going to have to at least start one season in the AHL before he either plays his way into the NHL or uses a clause to go back home if he hasn't been called up by a certain point.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
I kind of thought it would carry until 6/30 following his 27th b-day (like it says in the bubble when you hover over the 27th Bday tag on CapFriendly), but I could be wrong.

Even then, that's still pretty moot. Wings could hypothetically send him a contract offer in the Spring, but if it's not to his liking he can simply wait till summer and take offers from any other interested NHL teams.

I'm guessing the Rybar ship sailed when he didn't want to re-sign right away last summer and the Wings hitched GR's wagon to Pickard for 2 years. Rybar even signed his extension for the current season way back in early December last year. It's a shame too because he likely would've had a better shot to get some NHL time with Howard's groin injury in December and Pickard not doing so hot in the AHL, let alone the NHL.

Oh interesting, I didnt even realize that anything showed when you did that. Very possible. Though why even show "27 YO Birthday", why not just list 6/30/21 like everyone else?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->