Prospect Info: Wings should Draft a Winger in 1st Round

Octopus

May 17, 2006
I was predisposed with Detroit drafting another defenceman in the first round this year, but with the DeKeyser signing I really hope they get a scoring winger. My first choice is Anthony Mantha out of the Q. He is a beast at 6'3/4" and can score (50 goals this year) If goes earlier than the Wings pick, maybe Erne from the Q again or Rychel who plays for Windsor. Please don't trade the pick this year Mr. Holland!

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Prospect depth at winger is pretty good ATM, center (especially prospective #1 C) is the most pressing need IMO.
Agreed. The Wings need a guy who projects to be a scoring line offensive center. Between Helm/Andersson/Sheahan, the Wings are completely set on defensive/complementary centers.

The situation at the wing is really quite solid:

RW: Nyquist, Jurco, Pulkkinen, Frk, Callahan as a long shot
LW: Tatar, Ferraro (for depth reasons he'll be a winger), Athanasiou, Tvrdon, maybe Quine

Consider that several of those guys can switch over to their opposite side (Nyquist has NHL experience on both RW and LW) and also that one of Andersson/Sheahan will likely have to spend time at the wing. That's a lot of depth in the end.

However, that said, LW is a little bit weaker and I wouldn't hate picking up one more solid natural LW. All three of Athanasiou, Tvrdon, and Quine seem like long shots at this point.

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
You draft BPA, I'd rather take a Center if we could but most centers with any kind of upside are taking early on. My wishlist right now is Hagg, Morissey, Lazar or Hartman, Domi if he falls is someone I'd also like to get.

Hartman while a winger has played at center for a few games.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006

Definitely this.. Propsects take years to develop, and by the time he's ready to contribute, your team needs could be completely different. I dont care what position he is, I want the Wings to pick the best players available in the first two rounds, after that you can get creative and look at other things.

Octopus

May 17, 2006
I would say that its highly unlikely you'll get a top six center where the Wings will be drafting...Horvat may be available but he's not a a Dats or Replacement
Agreed. The Wings need a guy who projects to be a scoring line offensive center. Between Helm/Andersson/Sheahan, the Wings are completely set on defensive/complementary centers.

The situation at the wing is really quite solid:

RW: Nyquist, Jurco, Pulkkinen, Frk, Callahan as a long shot
LW: Tatar, Ferraro (for depth reasons he'll be a winger), Athanasiou, Tvrdon, maybe Quine

Consider that several of those guys can switch over to their opposite side (Nyquist has NHL experience on both RW and LW) and also that one of Andersson/Sheahan will likely have to spend time at the wing. That's a lot of depth in the end.

However, that said, LW is a little bit weaker and I wouldn't hate picking up one more solid natural LW. All three of Athanasiou, Tvrdon, and Quine seem like long shots at this point.

icKx

Vanek 4 Prez
May 7, 2010
Intertubes
Definitely this.. Propsects take years to develop, and by the time he's ready to contribute, your team needs could be completely different. I dont care what position he is, I want the Wings to pick the best players available in the first two rounds, after that you can get creative and look at other things.

Could you please lay out a scenario aside from landing Malkin in free agency (pfffft, yeah right) in which #1 C is not this organization's biggest need moving forward?

Datsyuk is leaving. If not next year then 2016 at the latest. Zetterberg is aging and his body has a lot of mileage on it. Jarnkrok is, at this point, a long shot.

The BPA philosophy is for miserable teams with nothing to build around (Jackets, Flames, formerly the Oilers) or teams with a barren farm system (Sharks).

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
I think they need to take the best player available regardless of position. There's only a couple prospects that can play, the others are more or less fodder

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
Could you please lay out a scenario aside from landing Malkin in free agency (pfffft, yeah right) in which #1 C is not this organization's biggest need moving forward?

Datsyuk is leaving. If not next year then 2016 at the latest. Zetterberg is aging and his body has a lot of mileage on it. Jarnkrok is, at this point, a long shot.

The BPA philosophy is for miserable teams with nothing to build around (Jackets, Flames, formerly the Oilers) or teams with a barren farm system (Sharks).

I could, but it would mean absolutely nothing as anything I'd say would be highly unlikely to ever happen.

A #1 C is obviously something we'll need soon enough, but passing on better prospects with the 20th(ish) pick to pick a center is not how I think you'll find one. Besides, I think Järnkrok is a much better bet to become a #1 C than anyone we'd take with that pick. Especially if it means passing on better prospect to pick a C because we need one.

Who do you feel we can realistically get with that pick that has #1 C potential on a playoff team?

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
I think we'll draft higher than at playoff team spot.

Barkov is the ultimate best fit for us.

I don't see us getting Barkov.

If we miss the playoffs, I don't see us falling off the cliff that bad that the pick would be in 3-5 range.

If we win the lottery, it's Seth Jones. I'm 99% sure of that.

Ok, 95%.

last_sd

Jun 9, 2007
Always BPA for NHL draft. This isn't like NFL where you draft 20+ year olds and 1st and 2nd rounders make the team better immediately.

Picking the BPA and hope they grow into their potential is what I would do.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
This is assuming we have a first round pick, starting to grow more concerned with the JayBo rumors swirling that we will not.

You should always take BPA in the first. Center is also a bigger need than winger at the moment in the system.

KasperTheGrittyGhost

Jan 12, 2008
Michigan
My dream scenario is we draft Monahan somehow, but that won't happen. I'm of the mind we need more top 6 center prospects, but I won't be disappointed if we go with a guy like De la Rose.

I'd love a Russian pick in the middle of the draft too...

Xvash2

Jul 8, 2010
Rumor has it Columbus is buying at the trade deadline and is willing to move a first, could we offload Filppula or Franzen for a pick or few?

Octopus

May 17, 2006
Getting an Extra Pick from Columbus would be great and then flip them both for a higher pick would be even better and get Barkov or Monahan
Rumor has it Columbus is buying at the trade deadline and is willing to move a first, could we offload Filppula or Franzen for a pick or few?

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
If there were ever a year to trade up in the draft, it would be this year. Its a deep draft, and we'll probably be incorporating prospects into the lineup sooner in the coming years than we have in the past 10-15 years. Would be nice to land a guy who can't be kept out of the NHL at 20/21.

XO

Nov 4, 2009
I think we'll draft higher than at playoff team spot.

Barkov is the ultimate best fit for us.

I would cry tears of joy for one month straight if we managed to get Barkov even though we went to the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad