Recalled/Assigned: Wings send Svechnikov back to GR

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
This season is such a dumpster fire its not like the Wings can get much worse if Svech is called up. There's a saying in sports of "getting late early" which to those who haven't heard it before means that a young player's grace period before the organization has to move on is running short. We've seen it a bunch this season with midling, young players in the AHL or NHL being dealt left and right. As much as I want him to succeed Geno needs time in show to prove himself or else he will be passed up by the next wave.

Reactions: ArmChairGM89

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019
These guys (Erne, Perkini) are nothing more than roster players to allow guys like Svech and Zadina the time to work on certain things with the farm team.

They were brought here via nothing to lose type deals. I much rather have them up this season; in this losing environment, with an awful coach, than bring up Svech and have Blash destroy his confidence. Let the kid over ripen... I wish they would have done the same with Zadina, but this team is so awful that it would be the ultimate tank move to send him down

they are two very different leagues. I think some players games are more suited for the nhl (zadina) I think svech is more than capable of handling losses. He seems to be very driven and a fierce competitor. It’s not like GR is some juggernaut. They are loosing plenty down there.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
I thought the only reason they had him down there was because he got a free year to rehabilitate. I'd like Svech be in the NHL, but I'm guessing Yzerman has a valid reason to keep him down.

13to40

Feb 29, 2016
Montreal
they are two very different leagues. I think some players games are more suited for the nhl (zadina) I think svech is more than capable of handling losses. He seems to be very driven and a fierce competitor. It’s not like GR is some juggernaut. They are loosing plenty down there.

down there is less stress on the player. Less attention, less media, less fan hate etc... gives them more flexibility to work on certain aspects of their game in which they need to improve.

I agree 100% with you though. There are some players that will always look better or are better suited for the NHL, but the AHL is there as a learning curve or an almost training like league for top prospects to round out their game

Reactions: ArmChairGM89

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
These guys (Erne, Perkini) are nothing more than roster players to allow guys like Svech and Zadina the time to work on certain things with the farm team.

They were brought here via nothing to lose type deals. I much rather have them up this season; in this losing environment, with an awful coach, than bring up Svech and have Blash destroy his confidence. Let the kid over ripen... I wish they would have done the same with Zadina, but this team is so awful that it would be the ultimate tank move to send him down

I think that's true for Zadina. I'm not sure this team thinks highly of Svechnikov. I've seen very little evidence of that.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
down there is less stress on the player. Less attention, less media, less fan hate etc... gives them more flexibility to work on certain aspects of their game in which they need to improve.

I agree 100% with you though. There are some players that will always look better or are better suited for the NHL, but the AHL is there as a learning curve or an almost training like league for top prospects to round out their game
Not almost, it is a training league for the NHL. From the AHL FB page:
"In operation since 1936, we serve as the top development league for all 31 NHL teams."

Betmann worked to get a 1 to 1 relationship between NHL and AHL teams, so that each team has only one affiliate. Seattle will have its own AHL team as well. It's one thing that I will give Bettman kudos for.

As for Svech, I'd rather see him than Perlini.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Not almost, it is a training league for the NHL. From the AHL FB page:
"In operation since 1936, we serve as the top development league for all 31 NHL teams."

Betmann worked to get a 1 to 1 relationship between NHL and AHL teams, so that each team has only one affiliate. Seattle will have its own AHL team as well. It's one thing that I will give Bettman kudos for.

As for Svech, I'd rather see him than Perlini.

I agree! He literally can't be worse! Perlini has:

2019-2023TOTNHL24022-1080000200320.07026811:0900 71546
2019-2023CHINHL100000000000010.0287:4900 0100
2019-2023DETNHL23022-1080000200310.06826011:18
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

How can you not have at least a few goals as only a scorer, as he doesn't provide anything else? Svech is more well rounded from what little I have seen of him, even though he is not playing well in GR.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I agree! He literally can't be worse! Perlini has:

2019-2023TOTNHL24022-1080000200320.07026811:090071546
2019-2023CHINHL100000000000010.0287:49000100
2019-2023DETNHL23022-1080000200310.06826011:18
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
How can you not have at least a few goals as only a scorer, as he doesn't provide anything else? Svech is more well rounded from what little I have seen of him, even though he is not playing well in GR.

Perlini is getting about 10 minutes in a game if he’s lucky, and missing games consistently. When he does get in, he’s playing with Ehn and Abdelkader. Svechnikov probably would have the same treatment if he were up, and would accomplish an equal amount of nothing.

I think that’s why you are seeing Svechnikov down. With his current level of play (which is bad) he wouldn’t warrant any playing time in the NHL, and he has the added benefit of actually being eligible to play in GR. If he ever wants a chance, he needs to produce in the AHL. Look at how staggering the difference between he and Zadina was leading up to Zadina’s promotion, and Zadina is still in flux between the 2nd and 3rd lines fighting for 15 minutes a night on a good night. Svechnikov has earned one thing at this rate. He has earned the right to be a struggling third liner in the AHL, and nothing more. That’s the unfortunate truth.

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
Perlini is getting about 10 minutes in a game if he’s lucky, and missing games consistently. When he does get in, he’s playing with Ehn and Abdelkader. Svechnikov probably would have the same treatment if he were up, and would accomplish an equal amount of nothing.

I think that’s why you are seeing Svechnikov down. With his current level of play (which is bad) he wouldn’t warrant any playing time in the NHL, and he has the added benefit of actually being eligible to play in GR. If he ever wants a chance, he needs to produce in the AHL. Look at how staggering the difference between he and Zadina was leading up to Zadina’s promotion, and Zadina is still in flux between the 2nd and 3rd lines fighting for 15 minutes a night on a good night. Svechnikov has earned one thing at this rate. He has earned the right to be a struggling third liner in the AHL, and nothing more. That’s the unfortunate truth.

Pretty much, if players in GR could beat out the likes of Erne, Perlini, Ehn, Abdelkader, Glendening, Nielsen. Helm, they would be in Detroit, but from a combination they can't, and they're getting more minutes in GR.

GR isn't lighting the AHL on fire either. On one hand, why not, as could they really be much worse, but on the other, what would be the point? The bulk of the roster flat out sucks.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
The point is that Svech is 10 months away from waiver eligibility.
When does he get his shot?
This idea that they are protecting Svechnikov is kind of silly. I don't see anyone making that argument to send Zadina down.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
The point is that Svech is 10 months away from waiver eligibility.
When does he get his shot?
This idea that they are protecting Svechnikov is kind of silly. I don't see anyone making that argument to send Zadina down.

When does Svechnikov earn his shot. He’s earned it based on what? Per 60 metrics when he was playing 8 minutes a game in a extremely small sample size? Why does that outweigh how pedestrian his performance for what is now a majority of his AHL season?

5 points in 4 games in October, and since the calendar turned to November he’s played 21 AHL games recording only 7 points. I have been one of Svechnikov’s biggest proponents, but he’s borderline washed at this point. He is sinking in the AHL, and that’s hard to admit, but the truth is in the numbers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad