Recalled/Assigned: Wings send Svechnikov back to GR

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Is the Svech frustration based on principle of the fact that he should be playing? Or because we think he's actually better than a depth guy?

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Is the Svech frustration based on principle of the fact that he should be playing? Or because we think he's actually better than a depth guy?
Personally I'd like to see him in a top 9 role over guys like Helm/Glendening. That's my main frustration.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

I thought he was better than some of the guys ahead of him. Maybe not as safe, I would put more faith in Helm making fewer mistakes for example, but still more dynamic and deserving a longer look. If he was physically up to it, I'd have at least given him an extended look in the top6 for a couple of games.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016

For me, I liked what I seen from him this year so far, and I was kind of thinking of him as done with us, or not going to make it before the season started. He looks engaged, playing hard with some nice skills and for whatever reason during a losing streak, Blash plays him 7 minutes a game which is just plain weird. If we were good/winning and Blash doesn't want to play the kids than fine, but not when we are already losing.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Personally I'd like to see him in a top 9 role over guys like Helm/Glendening. That's my main frustration.

Based on play this season, Helm and Glendening should be in the lineup. I think people make too much of bottom 4 guys playing with Larkin or on the 2nd line, as sometimes they are good at retrieving pucks, do some of the tougher lifting which can make life easier on your better players. Helm may not score but he does help get pucks when he plays with Larkin, so I think he is fine in that role in short spurts. Glendening seems to do better on the 2-4 lines though as he doesn't create a lot of offensive chances or anything. I will say as big as I have been hating on Abdelkader, when he played this season he actually looked pretty good for a 4th line guy, although I would still have no problem with Svech or Ras taking his spot.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Based on play this season, Helm and Glendening should be in the lineup. I think people make too much of bottom 4 guys playing with Larkin or on the 2nd line, as sometimes they are good at retrieving pucks, do some of the tougher lifting which can make life easier on your better players. Helm may not score but he does help get pucks when he plays with Larkin, so I think he is fine in that role in short spurts. Glendening seems to do better on the 2-4 lines though as he doesn't create a lot of offensive chances or anything. I will say as big as I have been hating on Abdelkader, when he played this season he actually looked pretty good for a 4th line guy, although I would still have no problem with Svech or Ras taking his spot.
I have no problem with Helm and Glendening playing, its just I would rather see them in a 4th line role instead of getting top line roles. Glendening is one the best 4th line centers in the league but our coach has been using him as a 2nd line winger. I don't agree with that. Leave Mantha with Larkin and Bert imo. That line has been dynamic.

Reactions: Oddbob

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I have no problem with Helm and Glendening playing, its just I would rather see them in a 4th line role instead of getting top line roles. Glendening is one the best 4th line centers in the league but our coach has been using him as a 2nd line winger. I don't agree with that. Leave Mantha with Larkin and Bert imo. That line has been dynamic.

Yeah, the BLM line is the only line getting anything done offensively and we are kind of boring to watch outside that line, problem is we are so thin, that we at least have to try and spread it around, cause they are going to grind the BLM line into dust by seasons end with all the focus on them.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Yeah, the BLM line is the only line getting anything done offensively and we are kind of boring to watch outside that line, problem is we are so thin, that we at least have to try and spread it around, cause they are going to grind the BLM line into dust by seasons end with all the focus on them.
Colorado's top line seemed just fine last year. I don't see why the BLM line couldn't. Obviously not comparing the skill's of those players but just an example of a line getting all of the focus from opposing teams.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Colorado's top line seemed just fine last year. I don't see why the BLM line couldn't. Obviously not comparing the skill's of those players but just an example of a line getting all of the focus from opposing teams.

Yeah, but MacKinnon and Rantanen and I am assuming Landeskog is a lot better than our line you have to admit. Mac and Rantanen both put up 80+ pts, while Larkin had 73 and Mantha had 48 which even in a full season is way less. You can be a one line team when they are amazing, ours is just good right now.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Svech should be ahead of Ehn, Erne and Hirose, to name a few.

It's really kind of mind-boggling that we've traded for Erne and Perlini when we have Svech, Hirose, Smith, Zadina and Rasmussen knocking on the door.

Reactions: Gniwder

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018

It's really kind of mind-boggling that we've traded for Erne and Perlini when we have Svech, Hirose, Smith, Zadina and Rasmussen knocking on the door.

And what, Svech, Bertuzzi, Athanasiou, Mantha, Erne, Perlini, Hirose, Kuffner, De La Rose, Ehn, and Turgeon are all in need of new contracts at the end of this year? I don’t think it’s a big deal and we are going to see a lot of roster evolution over the year.

Last edited:

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016

I agree that Svechnikov should be logging big minutes with the Wings right now. Rasmussen and Zadina however may be incredible high level prospects but they have zero business in the NHL at this point. They've played too much NHL hockey already while they clearly weren't ready. What they need is at least one more full AHL season. I've always said this...since they were drafted. Bigger guys need more time.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Maybe they didn't want him getting much time now and having other team's scouts get a good look at him? So if for whatever reason he goes down next year he doesn't get claimed.

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
Yeah, but MacKinnon and Rantanen and I am assuming Landeskog is a lot better than our line you have to admit. Mac and Rantanen both put up 80+ pts, while Larkin had 73 and Mantha had 48 which even in a full season is way less. You can be a one line team when they are amazing, ours is just good right now.
He already did admit it. I agree with @Hammettf2b, if our top line can pot a goal or two a game and let the other three lines focus on potting a goal or two for the game we will be better set.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I thought he was better than some of the guys ahead of him. Maybe not as safe, I would put more faith in Helm making fewer mistakes for example, but still more dynamic and deserving a longer look. If he was physically up to it, I'd have at least given him an extended look in the top6 for a couple of games.

This is it exactly. He might not be safe but he looked really good in limited minutes. Despite being in a 7 game losing streak and him looking good, he still didnt get a shot at playing higher in the line up over someone like Hirose who has been bad and is waiver eligible. Made no sense that he was playing 6 minutes with the way others were playing and he was a high pick. He deserved more of a shot based on how he played

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
At this point, I consider him a trade-bait. I was thinking if we could do a Puljujarvi for Svechnikov swap?

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
At this point, I consider him a trade-bait. I was thinking if we could do a Puljujarvi for Svechnikov swap?

It would be intriguing, Holland has the Svech connection but highly doubt he goes for that. Puljujarvi is 2 or 3 years younger, higher pick, yes he hasn't done anything yet but they still control his rights for a while. No sense to sell that low if I was Holland, you move him at the deadline if you are in contention for a NHL ready piece to help you in the playoffs.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com

Yep. I was thinking Svech + Saarijarvi or some other B grade prospect.
Maybe toss in a pick.
That's the idea i had cooked up when the Pulju rumors started flying.

A big, 6'4 RH shot? Hard to say no.
Imagine
Line 1 Mantha.
Line 2 Pulju
Line 3 Rasmussen
That's some major league size on each line.

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
Yep. I was thinking Svech + Saarijarvi or some other B grade prospect.
Maybe toss in a pick.
That's the idea i had cooked up when the Pulju rumors started flying.

A big, 6'4 RH shot? Hard to say no.
Imagine
Line 1 Mantha.
Line 2 Pulju
Line 3 Rasmussen
That's some major league size on each line.

Svech isn't some little dude.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Through 25 games
5-7-12 -10 57 shots

That sounds awful.
But Zadina, through 20 games
7-6-13 -9 48 shots.

Since being sent back down to GR
22 games 4-4-8 48 shots

Like Mickey Redmond and Ken Daniels were saying last night about Zadina, sometimes, some prospects do better in the NHL playing with people who know what the f*** they're supposed to be doing.

It's hard to argue with Fabbri's success so far.
But
Erne: 31 games 2-0-2 -14
Perlini: 23 games 0-2-2 -10

There's very little reason not to call up Svechnikov and play him over Erne/Perlini.
Because Svech is getting nowhere fast in Grand Rapids.

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019
Through 25 games
5-7-12 -10 57 shots

That sounds awful.
But Zadina, through 20 games
7-6-13 -9 48 shots.

Since being sent back down to GR
22 games 4-4-8 48 shots

Like Mickey Redmond and Ken Daniels were saying last night about Zadina, sometimes, some prospects do better in the NHL playing with people who know what the **** they're supposed to be doing.

It's hard to argue with Fabbri's success so far.
But
Erne: 31 games 2-0-2 -14
Perlini: 23 games 0-2-2 -10

There's very little reason not to call up Svechnikov and play him over Erne/Perlini.
Because Svech is getting nowhere fast in Grand Rapids.

I think the biggest factor, for me, is the eye test. When svech was up I noticed him constantly. With Ernie I can watch full games and forget he is on the team. He’s a huge nothingburger.

13to40

Feb 29, 2016
Montreal
I think the biggest factor, for me, is the eye test. When svech was up I noticed him constantly. With Ernie I can watch full games and forget he is on the team. He’s a huge nothingburger.

These guys (Erne, Perkini) are nothing more than roster players to allow guys like Svech and Zadina the time to work on certain things with the farm team.

They were brought here via nothing to lose type deals. I much rather have them up this season; in this losing environment, with an awful coach, than bring up Svech and have Blash destroy his confidence. Let the kid over ripen... I wish they would have done the same with Zadina, but this team is so awful that it would be the ultimate tank move to send him down

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad