Ansar Khan: Wings recall Landon Ferraro; reassign Zach Nastasiuk to GR

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Exactly. I wonder why he hasn't bulked up yet, he's had more then enough time to do it. If he gained 10-15 lbs he'd be much more effective like you suggest.

Nyquist would be more effective with some weight gain as we'll.

Ferraro actually put on weight and found he was less effective. Pulkkinen did something similar where he actually trimmed weight back off after a rough season. Ferraro at one point put on 10 lbs and lost some of his speed and wasn't as good. He generally understands leverage but occasionally you're going to lose at the NHL level in terms of physical battles. We will see, I don't think he was nearly as bad as some suggest. Thought he played pretty well, was much better than his last go round in the NHL.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Ferraro actually put on weight and found he was less effective. Pulkkinen did something similar where he actually trimmed weight back off after a rough season. Ferraro at one point put on 10 lbs and lost some of his speed and wasn't as good. He generally understands leverage but occasionally you're going to lose at the NHL level in terms of physical battles. We will see, I don't think he was nearly as bad as some suggest. Thought he played pretty well, was much better than his last go round in the NHL.

Well if he can't gain weight without losing speed I doubt very much he has a NHL future.

You can't be a checking line guy and get manhandled like he does on the boards. He's just seems outmatched physically at this level. He should go play on the big ice, IMO.

Last edited:

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site

That's a pretty vague assessment though. What kind of weight did he gain? How did he gain it? And where? One stint of gaining weight and it not working out simply suggests to me that he needs to go back to the drawing board and explore alternative conditioning routines to whatever it was he did that caused him to gain weight but become significantly less effective.

jay-P

Dec 21, 2005
Finland
According to the wonky stats at NHL.com, Landon Ferraro had zero giveaways in the Montreal game. When in reality he had two in the first period. He was the puck carrier, about to enter the offensive zone. As soon as he got over the blue line, he made a soft backhand pass towards a teammate who had been standing still a moment before. The Habs intecept the pass and in the ensuing rush they get a scoring chance on Howard.

In the second giveaway, the Wings gather the puck after Howard's save and they launch a fast counter-attack. At center ice, Ferraro has the puck and tries to force a pass through a lane between two Canadiens' players. The pass is intercepted and away they go. In addition to these turnovers, I didn't notice Ferraro much.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
According to the wonky stats at NHL.com, Landon Ferraro had zero giveaways in the Montreal game. When in reality he had two in the first period. He was the puck carrier, about to enter the offensive zone. As soon as he got over the blue line, he made a soft backhand pass towards a teammate who had been standing still a moment before. The Habs intecept the pass and in the ensuing rush they get a scoring chance on Howard.

In the second giveaway, the Wings gather the puck after Howard's save and they launch a fast counter-attack. At center ice, Ferraro has the puck and tries to force a pass through a lane between two Canadiens' players. The pass is intercepted and away they go. In addition to these turnovers, I didn't notice Ferraro much.

Sounds to me like you were expecting him to **** up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->