Confirmed with Link: Wings re-sign Anthony Mantha [2 years, 3.3 AAV]

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
If player doesn't want a max term?

Then you push for a two or three year deal. Giving Larkin five years puts his next contract at the edge of UFA, and you'll have to pay out the nose for it. The Wings either need a deal that eats a few UFA years now, or leaves a few RFA years to be eaten in the next.

Reactions: jkutswings

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
If player doesn't want a max term?

Sorry, should have worded that differently, but I would push very hard for a max term deal.

I see way more pro’s than con’s with a 7/8 year deal as opposed to a 4/5 year deal with Larkin.

Reactions: jkutswings

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
At the end of the day, it's up to the player.

If the player has already talked about a 5-year deal, I would bet it will be on that range. Of course we should avoid the length for straight to UFA, and usually Holland doesn't offer that as an option at all. He'll stay as RFA or will eat at least 1-2 UFA years after.

Larkin has played 3 seasons, and after 4 he is UFA. So 4 years is totally excluded as an option. I would expect a 5-6 year deal, if the player already feels that way.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
At the end of the day, it's up to the player.

Right and while that's the case, Dylan Larkin has never given any indication that he's in a hurry to leave Detroit and very likely won't unless the Wings tried to crazy lowball him. If Larkin gets close to Schiefele's money, he'll have a hard time saying he was underpaid and certainly have no case for being wildly underpaid.

If they were like here's 2x2 AAV or 8x4AAV, I could see him breaking from the team. And frankly, 8x6 is 48M in real cash. It would be pretty dang hard to turn down ~50M guaranteed if it's already a place where he seems to want to be.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Of course we should avoid the length for straight to UFA, and usually Holland doesn't offer that as an option at all. He'll stay as RFA or will eat at least 1-2 UFA years after.

Right, that's what I am thinking too. I just like Option B (eat 1-2 UFA years) much better than Option A (negotiate with 25-26 YO RFA).

Guys like Paul Statsny get 7 mil as a UFA. I would much rather pay him 6 million until he's 30, then have to pay him 8 million dollars in 4 years when we are just getting good again.

Not the end of the world, I'll be happy to have him either way, but economically speaking I really like how the max term deal sets us up long term.

Last edited:

marcmadsen

Sep 29, 2016
I was really surprised by this deal. I know that Mantha did not have arbitration rights and that leaves all the leverage with the DRWs but I was still anticipating 2x$4M. I was in the club who thought Mantha could score 30 goals last year. I'd be shocked, barring injury, if he doesn't put up 30 this year.

Having said that, knowing AA had arb rights I still didn't anticipate his deal either. To me, AA deserved 2x$2.5M.

As for Larkin, I'd prefer they went the max extension route. I think Larkin is going to be a career Red Wing. I'd hope to see 8x$6M

Mijatovic

Jan 23, 2014
Western Australia
I think from the clubs point of view, Mantha doesn't really DRIVE a line. He's a good finisher and when he's on, he's on but he has work to do and I think thats why maybe he didnt get as much as he could have.

That and KH has all the cards when it comes to RFA signing. Hard to negotiate much better when you dont have much leverage.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Right and while that's the case, Dylan Larkin has never given any indication that he's in a hurry to leave Detroit and very likely won't unless the Wings tried to crazy lowball him. If Larkin gets close to Schiefele's money, he'll have a hard time saying he was underpaid and certainly have no case for being wildly underpaid.

If they were like here's 2x2 AAV or 8x4AAV, I could see him breaking from the team. And frankly, 8x6 is 48M in real cash. It would be pretty dang hard to turn down ~50M guaranteed if it's already a place where he seems to want to be.

His agent could be telling him he could get him 60M guaranteed instead of 50M. Looks simple in text, but this is a huge deal for a 21 year old who has no clue how all this mumbo jumbo stuff works. He's going to rely heavily on his agent.

raymond23

:o
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
I think from the clubs point of view, Mantha doesn't really DRIVE a line. He's a good finisher and when he's on, he's on but he has work to do and I think thats why maybe he didnt get as much as he could have.

That and KH has all the cards when it comes to RFA signing. Hard to negotiate much better when you dont have much leverage.

There are plenty of times where he's shown that ability. But yeah, he needs to show it more often.

I really think he could be a dominant possession player.

Reactions: CaptainZetterberg40

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad