Wings Playing Spoiler to Blues?

The old geezer

Feb 10, 2007
It’s that time of year when the final battles for position play themselves out and the Wings have been more than keeping an eye on the battle for the final Western conference playoff spots – they are affecting it in one small way.

For awhile now the Blues, Oilers, and Wild have been battling it out for the final two spots in the West with the Predators have kept within striking distance of the pack. Of the four teams the Wings only influence one and that is the Blues. While the Blues won 3 of the 4 games between the two rivals at the start of the year the final four contests all fall into the final 11 games of the season with the Wings having won the two most recent games. These losses have added to a rough string for the Blues who now face the possibility of missing the playoffs. With the Wings and Blues meeting two more times in the Blues final 5 regular season games the outcome of these games may influence the play-off battle further.

Some close to GM Niece report that in private he has expressed some sense of disappointment that the friendly rivalry between the two teams, possibly the longest in HFNHL history to date, may be coming to a close with realignment next season. On one hand he wants to win the final two games to be able to claim bragging rights on the regular season series (as usual) and on the other there is hope the two teams might be able to meet in the playoffs. Over the years the teams have remarkably only met once in the playoffs and that was over a decade ago.

Who knows the Wings might need to rest a few players before the playoffs yet but that didn't help the Blues the other night when Lundquist (exhaustion) and Hanzal (injury) were both out :P

Game on.

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
Nick would have had to last beyond the first round to have met you in the playoffs, Drew. Hopefully you have the same kind of luck with YOUR President's Trophy.

The old geezer

Feb 10, 2007
Nick would have had to last beyond the first round to have met you in the playoffs, Drew. Hopefully you have the same kind of luck with YOUR President's Trophy.

Nope. If the playoffs started today it would be a Wings-Blues first round match-up and Nick could theoretically be the one knocking out the President's trophy winner instead of being on the other end. That still presumes I do win it, the magic number is two to clinch and I only have four games left so it's still possible for you to take the cup yourself Douglas - you've had longer winning streaks than six games and you have a relatively light final few games so until it's official I take nothing as certain.

Post edit: I'm an idiot (like that's new news) I see now that was a jab at Nick for past results - I never claimed to be quick ;)

Last edited:

The old geezer

Feb 10, 2007
With another set of games now in the books the Western conference battles get even more interesting.

With the Blues defeating the Wings today it guarantees the Blues at least a season series split. Glass half full the Jackets also lost so the magic number to clinch the conference is down to one game.

The Blues, Oilers and Wild are now all tied for the final two Western Conference spots at 90 points a piece though the Wild have one fewer game remaining. There are no remaining games between these three.

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
Congratulations, Drew - a remarkable season indeed, with your Wings now clinching a President's Trophy that would have seemed unlikely at the start of the year, but has quickly become almost inevitable. Kudos!

You *******.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad