Pre-Game Talk: Wings @ Panthers - Sat, Mar 19

Status
Not open for further replies.

jolly roger

Aug 4, 2013
Bit of both. Bjugstad has struggled this year. Actually think he just has lousy puck luck for months on end right now. He still generates a lot, but he hasn't been quite as good and Trocheck's play has been fantasticeck . They have a really exciting three headed monster building in terms of center ice in Florida.

I would love to work a trade for Trocheck or Bjugstad, they are both fantastic young players. Last year Bjugstad was super hot and got more minutes as a result, it has gone the other way this year. Not sure if Bjugstad's off-season was impacted by the injury to end last year, leaning towards it was, he just hasn't been as confident this year. I expect he will rebound next year.

How did the Wings scouting staff miss Trocheck (and JT Miller of the Rangers for that matter), both of whom played their early hockey right here in Detroit. Right under their noses, didn't need to fly 10 hours to Europe.

Lampedampe

Feb 26, 2015
So who are you guys gonna root for in the Pens-Flyers game? i will root for the flyers, because i honestly rather see wings miss PO's than to be crushed by the caps. Sure some call them chokers, but getting past the 1st round has never been that hard for them before. If we win and pens lose we actually keep our Wild card spot and actually have a good chance at passing them.

Don't mistake this for me wishing they miss the play-offs, i just wan't them to go for that 1st wildcard spot. If we seed against Florida i really could see us go deeper this year. I could easily see Mantha and AA as X-factors in a coming Play off run, their size and speed will be game changers in a long series.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Rooting for the Flyers either. But we need to get those two tonight anyway. LGRW.

I'm not rooting for either. If we can start winning, one or both of them will fall off.

Focus on your own stuff, even if it's not strictly in your control anymore.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
How did the Wings scouting staff miss Trocheck (and JT Miller of the Rangers for that matter), both of whom played their early hockey right here in Detroit. Right under their noses, didn't need to fly 10 hours to Europe.

missing can be misleading. they might have rated trocheck high but had jurco/ouellet/sproul higher. obviously doesn't look great now but there's a lot of luck in the draft.

jt miller went 15th overall. we don't know how high wings were or weren't on him as their first pick was #23 before they traded down.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

Trocheck has come a long way in terms of skating. While it was never bad, it wasn't what it has become especially in terms of the short burst and agility. That kind of stuff is hard to predict.

He was a scorer in junior that a lot of teams passed over. Always interesting when that is happening. The Wings took chances on a couple of guys that were similar before. Emmerton and Ferraro didn't exactly put together the necessary steps. But they were similar kind of players at the time of their draft Emmerton in particular was highly thought of entering his draft year, had decent numbers but as it turns out he slid for a reason.

What Trocheck is he deserves a lot of credit for. He was a fairly bad two way player in junior that you thought maybe didn't have the plus offensive tools (even if the numbers were there) to really score like that at the NHL level. He has developed at each step and turned into a significant hockey player.

Smaller guy, loved his production in OHL. Still I mean he wasn't universally believed in. For instance Tyler Biggs was a much more highly thought of US prospect. Sometimes things turn out this way.

Honestly in that year in terms of US guys I was much more surprised at the tumble Brendan Saad took. Miller went right about where expected and before we could have possibly snapped him up.

Also a player Trocheck passed even within the Panthers Rocco Girmaldi was the water bug scorer for USA hockey. Trocheck probably did well to get to the CHL as quickly as he did. He is one of those cases of the league really fitting the player and benefiting him. I thought Reid Boucher made the right call as well.

Last edited:

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008

I think they could of been after him in the 3rd round, but he didn't last. Maybe they should have picked Gaudreau over Quine, though. D'oh!

jolly roger

Aug 4, 2013
Amazing that John Gibson the goalie, JT Miller, Trochek and Stephen Johns all played on the same team in Pittsburgh. Riley Barber of the Washington Capitals Hershey Bears club was on it too. Wings passed on Gibson and Barber who also played in Detroit too. Of course so did the Penguins of their home town.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
I'm not normally a negative nancy, but Florida have been a bogey team for a while. Throw in Hudler AND Kindl on their team....I sense a frustrating game.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
How did the Wings scouting staff miss Trocheck?

I would have loved to have read the board reactions on here if the Red Wings spent their second round pick on Vincent Trocheck.

"What is Holland thinking?"

"Why didn't they draft size."

"This guy is such a shrimp! Can't believe they passed on that really big defenseman I've never seen play."

YpsiWings

Feb 5, 2016
I'm not normally a negative nancy, but Florida have been a bogey team for a while. Throw in Hudler AND Kindl on their team....I sense a frustrating game.

Florida has a deep and balanced group of forwards, they have a nice balance of skill and grit. I was surprised to hear Bjustad has had a rough season, whenever I watch Florida he stands out to me more than Huberdeau and Barkov.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->