Pre-Game Talk: Wings @ Panthers - Sat, Mar 19

Status
Not open for further replies.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
People are going to complain about AA going down the lineup.

Helm has been working hard. I am fine with him trying 2nd line next game.

jolly roger

Aug 4, 2013
And. Lines are changed

The AA move away from last night's Sheehan line is pretty predictable. They scored the game winning goal so Blashill will move AA to the Glendenning Richards line. Maddening if you're a Wings fan. Predictable for some reason not readily apparent.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Given that Glenn's IT is sky high, maybe this will rub onto AA.

Ya Ironically it could BOOST AA's Icetime.

Although this is the way WE organize the lineup:

Abdelkader-Zetterberg-Larkin
Helm-Datsyuk-Mantha
Tatar-Sheahan-Nyquist
Athanasiou-Glendening-Richards

The real usage is more like this:

Abdelkader-Zetterberg-Larkin (offense 1)
Helm-Datsyuk-Mantha (offense 2)
Athanasiou-Glendening-Richards (defense 1)
Tatar-Sheahan-Nyquist (spares)

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
People are going to complain about AA going down the lineup.

Helm has been working hard. I am fine with him trying 2nd line next game.

Does it ever occur to Blashill that maybe a player is succeeding where he's at for a reason? Why mess with something if it's working? I'm all for rewarding potential, but we already know what we're getting in Darren Helm.

Helm in the top 6 is stupid.

skate skate skate

Apr 6, 2014
Europe
And. Lines are changed

Actually, those were the lines for most of the Columbus game:

playerUsage-2015021055-DET.png

Does it ever occur to Blashill that maybe a player is succeeding where he's at for a reason? Why mess with something if it's working? I'm all for rewarding potential, but we already know what we're getting in Darren Helm.

Agree 100%.

Eastopia

Custom Title User
May 26, 2012
The AA move away from last night's Sheehan line is pretty predictable. They scored the game winning goal so Blashill will move AA to the Glendenning Richards line. Maddening if you're a Wings fan. Predictable for some reason not readily apparent.

No, Zetterberg scored the game winning goal while on a line with Abdelkader and Nyquist. Glendening's goal off Sheahan's shot was the 1st one.

I would put Athanasiou on Zetterberg's line to help them with zone entries mostly and replace the speed lost with Larkin moving away to Datsyuk's line where he can provide the speed Helm would with better hands and IQ. Bottom two lines are whatever.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada

Meh. Other than (MAYBE) AA, I don't think anyone in the bottom 6 deserves to be on Datsyuk's wing...

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
did blashill ever play hockey?

grinders grind even if they play with energy and hustle, they however lack the necessary skill, creativity and awareness to play with offensive guys

its stupid

let him centre the 3rd line if you want(remember when he was the best 3rd line centre in the nh?)

Last edited:

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
did blashill ever play hockey?

grinders grind even if they play with energy and hustle, they however lack the necessary skill, creativity and awareness to play with offensive guys

its stupid

let him centre the 3rd line if you want(remember when he was the best 3rd line centre in the nh?)

Uh yea he was a goalie, played for Ferris State all 4 years.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I don't like Helm in the top 6 and have said as much for a while. Helm does have what three goals over the last couple of games he has played though... So it isn't like Darren Helm is stinking up the joint, he is actually in a nice little hot stretch for once.

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
Since I'm doing the Panthers GDT, thought I'd share our info (plus majority of my friends are Wings friends (live an hour&1/2 from DET), so you guys have long been my 2nd favourite team.) :) :

We're pretty quiet over here ATM. Don't expect any changes from last game (except for the 4th line.)
Thornton has yet to play against you guys this year, as we tend to go with a more speedy lineup vs DET. I'd expect Howden to go in, as he's now been scratched the last two games, and he has the best wheels on the team.
None of the injured are expected to play.

Lineups:

images

LW|C|RW
Jonathan Huberdeau|Aleksander Barkov|Jaromir Jagr
Jussi Jokinen |Vincent Trocheck|Reilly Smith
Teddy Purcell |Nick Bjugstad| Jiri Hudler
Quinton Howden | Greg McKegg | Logan Shaw
Scratched: Shawn Thornton, Garrett Wilson
Injured: Marc Savard, Dave Bolland, Derek MacKenzie

D1|D2
Dmitry Kulikov|Aaron Ekblad
Brian Campbell| Alex Petrovic
Jakub Kindl| Stephan Kampfer
Injured: Willie Mitchell, Erik Gudbranson

G
Roberto Luongo
Al Montoya

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Since I'm doing the Panthers GDT, thought I'd share our info (plus majority of my friends are Wings friends (live an hour&1/2 from DET), so you guys have long been my 2nd favourite team.) :) :

We're pretty quiet over here ATM. Don't expect any changes from last game (except for the 4th line.)
Thornton has yet to play against you guys this year, as we tend to go with a more speedy lineup vs DET. I'd expect Howden to go in, as he's now been scratched the last two games, and he has the best wheels on the team.
None of the injured are expected to play.

Lineups:

images

LW|C|RW
Jonathan Huberdeau|Aleksander Barkov|Jaromir Jagr
Jussi Jokinen |Vincent Trocheck|Reilly Smith
Teddy Purcell |Nick Bjugstad| Jiri Hudler
Quinton Howden | Greg McKegg | Logan Shaw
Scratched: Shawn Thornton, Garrett Wilson
Injured: Marc Savard, Dave Bolland, Derek MacKenzie

D1|D2
Dmitry Kulikov|Aaron Ekblad
Brian Campbell| Alex Petrovic
Jakub Kindl| Stephan Kampfer
Injured: Willie Mitchell, Erik Gudbranson

G
Roberto Luongo
Al Montoya

Bjugstad down to 3, due mostly to trocheck's kick ass season, or Bjugstad not playing that well?

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Bjugstad down to 3, due mostly to trocheck's kick ass season, or Bjugstad not playing that well?

Bit of both. Bjugstad has struggled this year. Actually think he just has lousy puck luck for months on end right now. He still generates a lot, but he hasn't been quite as good and Trocheck's play has been fantastic. They have a really exciting three headed monster building in terms of center ice in Florida.

I would love to work a trade for Trocheck or Bjugstad, they are both fantastic young players. Last year Bjugstad was super hot and got more minutes as a result, it has gone the other way this year. Not sure if Bjugstad's off-season was impacted by the injury to end last year, leaning towards it was, he just hasn't been as confident this year. I expect he will rebound next year.

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
They are still pretty sour with Abdelkader... Wonder if Thornton is in the lineup.

Good point. We've been caught with our pants down before this year scratching Thornton when we could've used him in the lineup (@ EDM when Hendricks took a run at Ekblad.)
IMO it was a clean hit on Barky, he just got caught with his head down.
But I guess I could see why Thornton would be in, just IMO I doubt he is.

Bit of both. Bjugstad has struggled this year. Actually think he just has lousy puck luck for months on end right now. He still generates a lot, but he hasn't been quite as good and Trocheck's play has been fantastic. They have a really exciting three headed monster building in terms of center ice in Florida.

I would love to work a trade for Trocheck or Bjugstad, they are both fantastic young players. Last year Bjugstad was super hot and got more minutes as a result, it has gone the other way this year. Not sure if Bjugstad's off-season was impacted by the injury to end last year, leaning towards it was, he just hasn't been as confident this year. I expect he will rebound next year.

Bjugs has a had a tough season by his standard. I'm sure it has something to do with the back surgury that cut his year short last season. Than end of Nov., he missed 15 games with migranes, which is still a pretty hush-hush topic in FLA.

Tro has been a very pleasent surprise this year. The chemistry he's found centering Jokinen & Smith basically gives us two 1st lines. He really stepped up his game when Bjugs went dowwn in Nov.

Bjugs really seems to be coming around the last couple of weeks and playing a much better game. Just hoping he can develop some chemistry with Huds & Purcell. Having 3 good scoring lines would mean so much to a good long playoff run.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Good point. We've been caught with our pants down before this year scratching Thornton when we could've used him in the lineup (@ EDM when Hendricks took a run at Ekblad.)
IMO it was a clean hit on Barky, he just got caught with his head down.
But I guess I could see why Thornton would be in, just IMO I doubt he is.

I think it was a clean hit, but that dressing room and the Panthers media made clear for quite a while they were incredibly displeased with it.

Others around here listened to it for a day or two, just telling our board that didn't go away until Barkov returned in terms of a talking point.

I think the smart move is to scratch Thornton, as on a clean hit Abdelkader isn't going with him even if you beg him. He shouldn't have to, they can jump him and put the Wings on the PP, not all that concerning considering how bad the Wings PPs are going, but I am curious to see how they handle that. Gudbranson is really their only heavy guy that logs enough minutes to be worth fighting with if you're Abby (who despite complaints is playing on the top line) in terms of the usual suspects asking and he is out. He also did fight MacKenzie on his insistence even if the Panthers were still unhappy with that trade off, I also felt he was beneath the trade off in a normal scenario. Again MacKenzie is also out.

They also could shelve it for next year, with how important these games are. Just saying that Abdelkader is still very much a marked man when you listen to Panthers players in terms of how they feel about that. Hope Barkov keeps his head up tomorrow, tough to see anyone have that happen to him, but it isn't like I wouldn't expect Abdelkader to do it again tomorrow if he puts himself in that position again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad