Post-Game Talk: Wings @ Oilers

Kyleftlx

twitter*****/kyle_ftl
May 9, 2010
Michigan!
Hit the post once, had another chance right in front of Petr but couldn't do anything with it.

Yeah, I'm exaggerating because Detroit just played a darn good hockey game and it's really nice to see them dominate the way they did tonight.

Love how early in the season, going up against good teams on the second game of a back to back, Detroit would look god awful... put them in a back to back against two of the worst teams in the league and they just overpower the second team. I hope this is a sign of Detroit starting to kind of come together, and it honestly may be a sign due to the fact that Tatar / Andersson are showing insane chemistry, finally Detroit may have another line to work with... I am going to be quick to assume that they'll disappoint us soon enough and remind us that they aren't as good as they were tonight, but until then, I'm pretty happy with this road trip.

Tip Touchers

Nov 3, 2013
What are your guys thoughts on Mrazek? I have him in a Keeper League and I was wondering if you guys think he has a shot at earning the back up goalie role. I've been very impressed by what I saw of him last year.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
What are your guys thoughts on Mrazek? I have him in a Keeper League and I was wondering if you guys think he has a shot at earning the back up goalie role. I've been very impressed by what I saw of him last year.

He'll be the backup next season, perhaps. Monster has played well, so there'd be little incentive to keep Mrazek up when he returns from injury.

Howard is also a workhorse goalie that's going to get 60+ starts barring injury.

Tip Touchers

Nov 3, 2013
He'll be the backup next season, perhaps. Monster has played well, so there'd be little incentive to keep Mrazek up when he returns from injury.

Howard is also a workhorse goalie that's going to get 60+ starts barring injury.
Ya you guys are set for goaltending. What do you think you will do when Mrazek turrns out to be an NHL ready starting goalie? I hope for your sakes it does't turn into a Lu/Schneids situation haha. You guys have goof things going for you, really classy organization you've got.

SimplySolace

"We like our team"
Jun 30, 2013
Weiss has picked up his game. It's not reflected in points yet, but it's painfully obvious. And subsequently the team is winning.

Now only if we could get him away from Cleary..

Z-D-Bert
Nyquist-Weiss-Alfie
Franzen-Andersson-Tatar
Miller-Helm-Abby

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Ya you guys are set for goaltending. What do you think you will do when Mrazek turrns out to be an NHL ready starting goalie? I hope for your sakes it does't turn into a Lu/Schneids situation haha. You guys have goof things going for you, really classy organization you've got.

Thanks for the kind words.

If Howard and Mrazek are playing well, it's hard to say what the Wings would do. I'd imagine they'd look to trade whoever they deem the #2.

Howard hasn't had much help over the years, so it would be quite the luxury to get somebody who could actually challenge for starts. So far so good with Mrazek.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Anybody by chance know where to find any highlights from the game? Can't seem to find it anywhere....

A handful of the goals are on the NHL.com site. I can't find anybody with all the highlights either. I'm sure a fully highlight suit will be up soon enough. But here's some of the goals.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
mrazek will probably get cheap 2-3 yr bridge deal after 14-15 season. which would end in 17 or 18 offseason. howard is tied up to 18-19 season with ntc from 15-18 season where he can supply 10 team list.

so i guess it's around 2017-18 when they have to decide who they'll go with. plenty of time.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Datsyuk is the first star this game, and last game, and the game before that...
He is playing lights out hockey but for the "McDonalds player of the game" I guess the win goes to who got a lucky game winner or happened to not suck as bad :).

Much, much better game than last night. We deserved to lose against Calgary but playing on the road has been good for the Wings. May be getting a long break from home, focus on business can be an advantage sometimes.

Helm's goal was a dream come true! Perfect game for him to return and get back in the mix. I thought he looked pretty damn fresh.

Very good effort and control as a team, we simply worked efficiently and wore the Oilers down quickly. A dominant display by the Red Wings was just what I(we) needed to feel that...magic I know we are capable of. Makes me proud to be a Wings fan, they almost always do great on HNIC games. I love it when their cast drools and oozes watching Datsyuk. Yup and we get to watch him every single game. :nod:

Again, why is this team better without Franzen?

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Remember when Tatar wasn't playing? Ha.

I hope we soon get to say "remember when Nyquist wasn't playing?"

Seriously, I know we just played against Calgary and Edmonton, but this team has a lot of potential they're sitting on. Helm and Nyquist are huge additions. Huge. Holland has the pieces in place. Now he just needs to rid some of the scraps to allow for full potential and Babcock has to utilize them properly.

I think we're a top 4 defenceman away from being where we really want to be.

DD seems like he can handle top 4 minutes now. I trust Kronwall, Big E, and DD out there. I like Kindl, but I like him as bottom pairing/2nd PP unit guy. Smith scares me more than Lashoff this season. Quincey is who he is: some games solid, some games head scratching, with a lot of penalties in between.

I like Bert, but I don't know if he'll be able to handle top line duties an entire season, plus I'd rather see Alfie there to stack it which I think you can do with the addition of Nyquist.

Z-Pav-Alfie
Nyquist-Weiss-Mule
Tatar-Andersson-Abdelkader
Miller-Helm-Cleary/Bert

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
I know the Oilers are brutal, but that was so refreshing to see, the Wings dominated and played a full 60 minutes.

True, don't let a bad team hang around. Excellent road trip so far and they're back even with the Leafs and the Bolts in the division.

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
This was the hardest choice so far this year. I felt like Andersson, Kindl, Tatar, Helm,Bert, Pavel, Alfie, Petr,Abby and so on all deserved a hat tip for this one.

Easier to give the no-star to Cleary, Smitty and Sammy. Some of you think Sammy is improving, I think he is a complete waste of stadium oxygen

BF3

Boom Roasted.
Dec 30, 2011
Cbus
I see no reason to mess with the Tatar-Andersson-Abby line. Abby playing well in the bottom 6, Tatar is making things happen, Andersson is playing much better with them as well. It's working, leave it alone Babcock.

If and when Nyquist is called up, hopefully he is slotted in ts top 6 and Cleary is put on the 4th line.

Z-Dats-Franzen
Nyquist-Weiss-Alfie
Tatar-Andersson-Abby
Cleary-Helm-Miller

Smith continues to make really dumb plays. It's getting worse it seems.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->