Pre-Game Talk: Wings @ Nucks (J. Markstrom taking Leave of Absence)

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015

then send him back down... hopefully they will once they take Nielsen off the IR

Sounds like Daley is ready to go (and subsequently come off IR) too, so someone has to go down... Would have to think it's going to be Svechnikov?

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Blashill said they felt because he was older, unless Ras and Zadina and co, they could call him up and let him sit.
And that's what they're doing.
It's f***ing stupid. But that's what he said.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
At this point I’m assuming there’s something we don’t know about Svech

I think someone made a point about it, probably TZE, in a previous GDT. The difference between a week’s pay in Detroit and in GR is massive. He’s missed what, two games in GR? Keeping him around to soak up as much NHL pay as possible before sending him down isn’t horrible.

Maybe someone is on thin ice and nearing replacement in the lineup, maybe not. In the meantime, Geno himself said it means a lot to him to be up with the NHL and he still can take a lot out of his time here.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
It's also insane that Blash keeps rolling the AA-Hirose line
Yeah, you'd think he'd put Svech in for Hirose and Nielsen for Ehn. That fixes both the 2nd and 3rd lines which haven't done jack in the first 5 games.

I totally agree with you on both points, which hardly ever happens. In any case, it's like Blash doesn't want to win games.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I think someone made a point about it, probably TZE, in a previous GDT. The difference between a week’s pay in Detroit and in GR is massive. He’s missed what, two games in GR? Keeping him around to soak up as much NHL pay as possible before sending him down isn’t horrible.

Maybe someone is on thin ice and nearing replacement in the lineup, maybe not. In the meantime, Geno himself said it means a lot to him to be up with the NHL and he still can take a lot out of his time here.
Sure, a lot of money. Huge difference between AHL and NHL pay.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
I mean this team did draft Datsyuk.
Speaking of Datsyuk, I read on WIIM comments section, that the Wings had received an offer from the Ducks for Pav, before he ever played an NHL game. It didn't say what the offer was, just that the Ducks thought fairly highly of him. The thought of Pavel in a Ducks uniform would be as bad as him in a Pens or Avs uniform.

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005
Generally in love with Blashill this year, but how many freaking kicks at the can are Hirose and Erne going to get? I bet Svech is secretly on the mend, but there's got to be somebody in our org that has a shot at possessing the puck at a higher clip than those two.

Happy to see Nielson back. Was expecting him to fall off this year, but our c/w hybrid trap seemed to fit him perfectly.

AA is due for a good complete game. I don't hate him at center, but the opportunities he gets from playing center should happen naturally because of his skill set, not because of his linemates and the role his line is playing.

From the lineup posted, I'd like to see Erne and Hirose switch spots. Let Erne knock some pucks loose for AA, while LGD makes sure our coverage is right. And then let Hirose try and prove he can carry the puck, skate and shoot with a couple of responsible zero offense players, instead of just settling loose pucks for set ups. Hirose doesn't pass aggressively enough in the back 2/3rds of the ice to be of value to AA anyway imo.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Generally in love with Blashill this year, but how many freaking kicks at the can are Hirose and Erne going to get? I bet Svech is secretly on the mend, but there's got to be somebody in our org that has a shot at possessing the puck at a higher clip than those two.

Happy to see Nielson back. Was expecting him to fall off this year, but our c/w hybrid trap seemed to fit him perfectly.

AA is due for a good complete game. I don't hate him at center, but the opportunities he gets from playing center should happen naturally because of his skill set, not because of his linemates and the role his line is playing.

From the lineup posted, I'd like to see Erne and Hirose switch spots. Let Erne knock some pucks loose for AA, while LGD makes sure our coverage is right. And then let Hirose try and prove he can carry the puck, skate and shoot with a couple of responsible zero offense players, instead of just settling loose pucks for set ups. Hirose doesn't pass aggressively enough in the back 2/3rds of the ice to be of value to AA anyway imo.

Erne - 7-13-20
Athanasiou - 30-24-54
Glendening - 10-13-23

I don't know man. I wanted to see the hidden skill Erne has. But I don't.

When people complain about lack of secondary scoring, take a look at what you're saddling one of your two 30-goal men with.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Erne - 7-13-20
Athanasiou - 30-24-54
Glendening - 10-13-23

When people complain about lack of secondary scoring, take a look at what you're saddling one of your two 30-goal men with.

When people complain about lack of secondary scoring, take a look at what is on the team outside of Larkin, Mantha, Athanasiou and Bertuzzi is. Not like there are many choices at the moment.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
A few observations, albeit very early in the season:

-Only 8 teams have both a better GF% & GAA% than the Wings: (in no particular order)

Flyers, Sabres, Avs, Knights, Oilers, Canes, Pens, Rangers

-Only 7 teams have both a better PP & PK then the Wings: (in no particular order)

Knights, Oilers, Blues, Sharks, Flyers, Panthers, Caps

-12 teams have a better Win% (over .600)

-Only 3 teams are better in all (GF, GAA, PP, PK & Win %)...Flyers, Knights, Oilers

5 on 5: our SV% is .890 vs. league avg. .902. SH% is 11.0% vs. league avg. 9.8%.
HDCF 64 vs. HDCA 78.

We're also playing pretty disciplined w/13 PPO against. 15 PPO for, though refs have missed a bunch, at least more uncalled penalties than what would've/should've gone against us.

We've made some strides since last year though I still expect us to finish ~20th overall (barring major injuries to our core players and/or tons of man games lost to the entire lineup). We are trending up, lots to be excited about this season.

Last edited:

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005
Erne - 7-13-20
Athanasiou - 30-24-54
Glendening - 10-13-23

Right, but the question isn't "would this be a good line", it's "contextually speaking, could these lines be more beneficial and/or illuminating than making no changes"

Either way, I'm not advocating for Erne or Hirose. I haven't seen a moment of play from them that makes me think they are sustainable NHLers. They've been so poor at puck possession that I've wanted them out of the lineup all along. But I do think switching their roles could at least be the beginning of the end or the end of the beginning for one or both of them. Either way, AA is in a solo effort, counter punching role.

If Blashill hadn't earned some big credibility, I'd be crying about how it's obvious that Smith should take Erne's spot, and Svech Hiroses for the next 5 games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->