Wings make offer to Green

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Of all the current defenders in our system, Green is the only one I would feel comfortable mentoring the kids. The rest are either limited in skills or just don't seem like they have any value from that perspective.

Even if he doesn't play with the youngsters in the games very often, he can still be a solid mentor off the ice and during practices. I think you need at least one guy who is good enough to help bridge the gap from juniors/minors to the NHL.

If he goes, he goes. But he would be one of the few veterans I would be good with coming back.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
Honest question - you don't think Kronwall fills that role? I don't think there's any disagreement that he's not really an NHL-caliber player anymore, but I think he's certainly still capable of being a veteran leader. I'd have a hard time believing that E can't fill that role, as well, especially being a converted forward.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Honest question - you don't think Kronwall fills that role? I don't think there's any disagreement that he's not really an NHL-caliber player anymore, but I think he's certainly still capable of being a veteran leader. I'd have a hard time believing that E can't fill that role, as well, especially being a converted forward.
You know what, for some reason I blanked on Kronwall. So the need for Green is certainly lessened.

Ericsson is simply serviceable. I don't particularly think him being around the NHL for awhile by itself means he is a good mentor for the younger generation.

Reactions: njx9

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
The games suck to watch with one puck moving defender, and they'll only suck the barest sliver more with zero. It's not like adding or removing Green will suddenly make the forwards able to or interested in forechecking, and it certainly won't make the team, sans Larkin and AA, any faster around the ice. And it won't change that the forwards still largely can't function at an ECHL-level on the PP.

*shrug* The only arguments for/against Green should center on whether or not he changes the development path for Hronek and Cholo. I don't buy that he does. They're both still going to play sheltered, 3rd pair minutes, regardless of what collection of crap plays on the first and second pair (if they play in Detroit). And, given that Green can only play so many minutes, and still has to play with another defenseman, I really have a hard time buying that him not being there will hinder Larkin and Mantha in a meaningful way.

This is kind of what I meant when I said I think everyone is really underestimating the situation. At the end of the day, Green's on the ice for 40% of our PP/ES time every game. Saying he's just one defender really makes light of the situation when you're really talking about nearly half the game being affected by his loss.

As for the Hronek/Cholo impact, I don't think its that big of a deal since Kronwall is allegedly a great leader, but Kronwall didn't have the experience of coming into a team and being relied upon to be an offensive presence at a young age with little help. That's exactly the situation Green walked into in Washington...

lhsgolf19

Oct 4, 2016
Birmingham, MI

"Detroit also remains in communication with Mike Green’s camp to try to get a deal done with the unrestricted free agent. The two sides met in Dallas on Wednesday at the Red Wings hotel to try to finalize a new contract.

It’s an interesting negotiation because there appears to be a genuine desire from both sides to make it happen. It’s just that term could end up being a sticking point. The Red Wings preference here is a two-year deal but could go three for the right dollar amount. Green doesn’t appear to have interest in signing anything shorter than three years, and that’s a reasonable stance for a player who will draw significant interest on the free-agent market if he gets there."

Kenny Noooo! I can handle a 2 year contract, if you offer a 3 year deal good lord

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
You know what, for some reason I blanked on Kronwall. So the need for Green is certainly lessened.

Ericsson is simply serviceable. I don't particularly think him being around the NHL for awhile by itself means he is a good mentor for the younger generation.
Green mentoring others is more of a, "do as I say, not as I do" scenario. I'm fine with him helping a kid in starting the rush and generating offense, but the guy practically carries an epi pen in case he comes in contact with playing defense, and I don't want any of those bad habits getting anywhere near the new guys.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Of all the current defenders in our system, Green is the only one I would feel comfortable mentoring the kids. The rest are either limited in skills or just don't seem like they have any value from that perspective.

... It'd be interesting to have Green as a mentor for Ryan Merkley. Considering Green was pretty God-awful defensively when he was putting up those insane Washington seasons as they still fell short of success.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage

"Detroit also remains in communication with Mike Green’s camp to try to get a deal done with the unrestricted free agent. The two sides met in Dallas on Wednesday at the Red Wings hotel to try to finalize a new contract.

It’s an interesting negotiation because there appears to be a genuine desire from both sides to make it happen. It’s just that term could end up being a sticking point. The Red Wings preference here is a two-year deal but could go three for the right dollar amount. Green doesn’t appear to have interest in signing anything shorter than three years, and that’s a reasonable stance for a player who will draw significant interest on the free-agent market if he gets there."

Kenny Noooo! I can handle a 2 year contract, if you offer a 3 year deal good lord

Yeah we all know how this ends. Holland caves and gives him what he wants. Holland is the king of signalling what he'd like to do before caving on demands. He'll throw in a NMC/NTC for good measure.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I'd maybe consider 3 x 4.5 for Greener but no more. If we can move Daley we can still sign Green add Hronek and maybe one of either Bouchard/Dobson to the blueline.
I'd be downright shocked if Holland is willing to move any of the roster defensemen, let alone able. I think this particular dumpster fire will be relatively steady for at least another year or two, until contracts expire and the youth get their feet under them.

WesNichols14

Nov 22, 2011
Port Huron Michigan
from what I remember the numbers were 6 mil for 1 year, or 5 mil for 2.

So if he was to agree to a 3 year deal, I would hope its in the 4-4.5 mil range. Green gets security, and the team is getting good cap value.

plus assuming we dont add a NTC, Green at 4.5 or even 4.75 is going to look pretty good to a contender once the cap rises a little more.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
I'd be downright shocked if Holland is willing to move any of the roster defensemen, let alone able. I think this particular dumpster fire will be relatively steady for at least another year or two, until contracts expire and the youth get their feet under them.
Agreed that's not Holland's MO, He'll just wait until the contracts expire. That was just me being over optimistic.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I would go in Green-case with a deal including 5.0 - 4.5 - 4.0 yearly salaries, as 3M signing bonuses for July 1st in each year.

3.0M signing bonus + 2.0M regular salary
3.0M signing bonus + 1.5M regular salary
3.0M signing bonus - 1.0M regular salary.

3-years, 4.5M caphit. NMC for 1st year, partial NTC which disappears 1 week before 2021 deadline.

Heavily front-loaded, easy to trade on 3rd year. Only 250k to be paid on the last trade deadline. and you can retent 50% of it. :D

shanman

Jun 23, 2018
I would go in Green-case with a deal including 5.0 - 4.5 - 4.0 yearly salaries, as 3M signing bonuses for July 1st in each year.

3.0M signing bonus + 2.0M regular salary
3.0M signing bonus + 1.5M regular salary
3.0M signing bonus - 1.0M regular salary.

3-years, 4.5M caphit. NMC for 1st year, partial NTC which disappears 1 week before 2021 deadline.

Heavily front-loaded, easy to trade on 3rd year. Only 250k to be paid on the last trade deadline. and you can retent 50% of it. :D
ummm what? easy to trade the 3rd year? A guy who can't stay healthy, turns 33 at the beginning of the season, and is coming off a pretty serious neck injury. You are banking on this guy to somehow have trade value in 2 years and some team is going to want a season with a 36 year old mike green? Not something im banking on for a guy still living on his 08-10 washington reputation. Dude is barely a 30 point player nowadays, and this is with being sheltered from any tough defensive assignments (because he has absolute shit defense) and quarterbacking our 2nd powerplay unit. Dude couldn't even beat out kronwall to get on PP1.

Reactions: jkutswings

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
ummm what? easy to trade the 3rd year? A guy who can't stay healthy, turns 33 at the beginning of the season, and is coming off a pretty serious neck injury. You are banking on this guy to somehow have trade value in 2 years and some team is going to want a season with a 36 year old mike green? Not something im banking on for a guy still living on his 08-10 washington reputation. Dude is barely a 30 point player nowadays, and this is with being sheltered from any tough defensive assignments (because he has absolute **** defense) and quarterbacking our 2nd powerplay unit. Dude couldn't even beat out kronwall to get on PP1.

On a trade deadline, any of our old defenceman will get calls on their final years. Especially with the tail-end contract, salary and/or retained.

Sorry, but Depth defenceman are always asked on NHL trade deadline. If you didn't know, you haven't watched NHL at all.

shanman

Jun 23, 2018
On a trade deadline, any of our old defenceman will get calls on their final years. Especially with the tail end salary and/or retained.

Sorry, but Depth defenceman are always asked on NHL trade deadline. If you didn't know, you haven't watched NHL at all.
Multiple issues with this. First and foremost, how did that work last season with Green? Oh that's right, the constantly injured guy was INJURED. Mike green hasn't come close to completing a full season since 2007-2008 season. He is good for at least 10 games missed in the season. Plus coming off the pretty serious neck injury. So better pray he magically fixes his injury issues as he gets older. What would even be a realistic trade we would get for him at that point? 3rd rounder, 4th rounder? He is already a 5/6 pairing defender for a contending team, and his PP numbers arent exactly something teams can't find elsewhere. All the while we can pay him 5 plus million a year. Hard pass for me, and if the wings are smart a hard pass from them.

Teams are always asking about QUALITY defenders. Unfortunately that is not something we had abundance of playing for us last season, and especially considering what we pay them.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
I don't think Green makes a difference to our current success, but I really, really want him to stick around a bit longer to teach our noobies how to play offense. I don't know who else can do that other than Green.

shanman

Jun 23, 2018
I don't think Green makes a difference to our current success, but I really, really want him to stick around a bit longer to teach our noobies how to play offense. I don't know who else can do that other than Green.

Well, one would hope that is what we have a coaching staff for haha.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I get that. I just wonder if the net gain is worth the risk of him teaching those same noobies how NOT to play defense.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Kronwall was a very smart and productive player in his prime. Guy was consistently a top 10 PP pt producer for awhile. Even if he can’t lead by example anymore, I’m sure he has a ton of great insights to offer to the young players.

I was really hoping Green would choose to go elsewhere so we would have more openings on the back end. Oh well. I want to see Hronek on our team before the all-star break.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad