Wings make offer to Green

MBauer

Feb 19, 2012
MI
Extending Green would weaken our tank for Jack Hughes pretty good though... if Green doesn't resign I think 55 year-old Kronwall might be running the point on the PP1 ..

He's been on the first unit for the past two seasons , Green for the most part has been on the second unit, though they have split the time pretty even and Green gets 5 on 3/ 4 on 3 type situations, so he ends up with more overall pp time.

I don't want to see Kronwall on the pp at all next season, just wasted minutes, give it to two younger players if Green signs elsewhere.

cjm502

Bingo Bango!
Jun 22, 2010
Mid Michigan
You mean the one who can't actually defend?
You seem to have missed the key word, arguably. Who on our blue line do you think is better overall? Green is so far beyond all our other defenseman offensively that it makes up for his defensive lapses twice over imo.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Won’t be heartbroken if Green is gone but at the same time to rebuild a terrible D you shouldn’t really start with getting rid of the best parts. Jensen and Ouellet are easily replaceable with Cholo/Hronek/Sulak/Hicketts. Kronwall is a strong gust of wind away from breaking down and retiring. Ericsson is entering his last years too.

DDK and Green are essentially the only two guys on our D that would make the top 6 of all teams in the league. Green isn’t a big loss but still our D looks better going forward by holding onto him either by helping us win more or by being a possible trade asset. 2 year deal would be perfectly fine.

Reactions: nihlify

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
Won’t be heartbroken if Green is gone but at the same time to rebuild a terrible D you shouldn’t really start with getting rid of the best parts. Jensen and Ouellet are easily replaceable with Cholo/Hronek/Sulak/Hicketts. Kronwall is a strong gust of wind away from breaking down and retiring. Ericsson is entering his last years too.

DDK and Green are essentially the only two guys on our D that would make the top 6 of all teams in the league. Green isn’t a big loss but still our D looks better going forward by holding onto him either by helping us win more or by being a possible trade asset. 2 year deal would be perfectly fine.
Trevor Daley should easily make a top 6 of teams d cores

PelagicJoe

Mar 20, 2012
St. Louis, MO
I can deal with a couple more years of Green as long as it's a reasonable deal. 2 or 3 years tops. We have no suitable replacement for him. Putting a kid in his spot would just result in said kid getting destroyed every night.
I wouldn't mind seeing Carlson here. I am.not holding my breath though.
Our #6 pick needs to be a home run.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
I can deal with a couple more years of Green as long as it's a reasonable deal. 2 or 3 years tops. We have no suitable replacement for him. Putting a kid in his spot would just result in said kid getting destroyed every night.
I wouldn't mind seeing Carlson here. I am.not holding my breath though.
Our #6 pick needs to be a home run.

There's no way you put a kid in Green's spot - you just overplay DDK, Daley, Kronwall and E, since none of them ultimately matter at all. Move Hronek or Cholo or whoever else around for development, and sacrifice the vets.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Can't see Green not getting a NTC/NMC in his contract, Because if he's moved at the end of the deal. He'll want to control where he goes. And you can't really blame him he's not getting any younger here.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I figured that would be the offers. Not bad, I imagine he'll get a better offer.

StargateSG1

Nov 26, 2016
I agree that they're not always entitled to NTC/NMC but whatever team Green does sign with he's going to ask for it. Unless he's going to a cup contender or that team pretty much guarantee's him to finish his career there.
NTCs should be reserved for an elite group, NMCs only for franchise players.
Just walk away, it's not Lidstrom, it's Mike freaking Green, looking for retirement contract. Screw him!
He already screwed the Wings out of a pick at the last TDL.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Just walk away, it's not Lidstrom, it's Mike freaking Green, looking for retirement contract. Screw him!
Prior to the trade deadline, I checked to see how many players each team had with either full NTC or NMC clauses.

Zero, one, and two were the most common denominations (in that order), with a league average of about 1.6 players per team with anything more than a modified no trade clause.

The Wings currently have six. And they're for Abdelkader, Daley, DeKeyser, Helm, Nielsen, and Nyquist - not exactly a who's who of the NHL elite.

So yeah, it's not like the rest of the league is handing them out like candy - save them for truly special players, and be willing to occasionally walk away if need be.

Last edited:
Reactions: NickH8

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
and be willing to occasionally walk away if need be.
Ken Holland has no ability to walk away from negotiations, it's ridiculous. He sets his mind on a player and will make sure he gets him. One of the big rules of negotiation is to not fall in love with the product, and Ken Holland breaks that every offseason. He also has a spending problem. If there's cap space he has to spend it. This isn't a guy you want running your rebuilding team.

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI

That is a little harsh. He didn’t screw the Wings out of a pick. Unless it is your contention that he got injured on purpose so he couldn’t be traded.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
This has "Dan Cleary handshake deal" written all over it. Green is smart to test the market, Holland will cave with term and a nice little bow on top with a no trade/movement clause.

Holland always caves.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
I'm not going to cry if we don't sign Green, but I think people are really underestimating the toll its going to take on this team if we don't have Green's help. Forget points - the guy can still get the puck out of the zone and up the ice. Without him, we have no one who can reliably do that work. That's going to make life hell on our forwards and potentially force kids like Hronek and Cholowski to grow up fast. Its also going to make the games even more of a chore to watch. I'd take the risk that Green sucks and ends up in the recycling bin along with our over overpaid vets and give him 3 years if thats what it takes, assuming the salary is reasonable in exchange for that extra year. All of our other defenseman sans Dekeyser would be gone by that 3rd year anyway.

Carlson shouldn't even be entering this conversation. We have no shot at getting him.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
Its also going to make the games even more of a chore to watch.

The games suck to watch with one puck moving defender, and they'll only suck the barest sliver more with zero. It's not like adding or removing Green will suddenly make the forwards able to or interested in forechecking, and it certainly won't make the team, sans Larkin and AA, any faster around the ice. And it won't change that the forwards still largely can't function at an ECHL-level on the PP.

*shrug* The only arguments for/against Green should center on whether or not he changes the development path for Hronek and Cholo. I don't buy that he does. They're both still going to play sheltered, 3rd pair minutes, regardless of what collection of crap plays on the first and second pair (if they play in Detroit). And, given that Green can only play so many minutes, and still has to play with another defenseman, I really have a hard time buying that him not being there will hinder Larkin and Mantha in a meaningful way.

Reactions: jkutswings

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad