Pre-Game Talk: Wings-Leafs

Status
Not open for further replies.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Chuck Pleiness @wingsfrontman
Cleary appears to be the odd man out for Wednesday's game. He's the extra forward in Red.

Ansar Khan @AnsarKhanMLive
Lines:
Nyquist-Zetterberg-Jurco
Tatar-Datsyuk-Helm
Franzen-Sheahan-Weiss
Miller-Glendening-Andersson
Cleary/Abdelkader

Justin Abdelkader, out since Nov. 30 with separated shoulder, returns to practice wearing gray non-contact jersey.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
N
Chuck Pleiness @wingsfrontman
Cleary appears to be the odd man out for Wednesday's game. He's the extra forward in Red.

Lines:
Nyquist-Zetterberg-Jurco
Tatar-Datsyuk-Helm
Franzen-Sheahan-Weiss
Miller-Glendening-Andersson
Cleary/Abdelkader

Justin Abdelkader, out since Nov. 30 with separated shoulder, returns to practice wearing gray non-contact jersey.

I officially approve of those lines. Disagree with those that were saying Jurco to line 4. You promote guys producing, not the other way around.

Last edited:

hyduK

Feb 21, 2009
Can we just waive him and be done with it?

nah we have a gentlemens agreement with him to get him 10 games so he gets his bonus.

he's only got a few more to go though, and thankfully he hasn't managed to lose us any games in the process so far.

Jun 9, 2011
Detroit
I'm very content with those lines. Got an 8 point lead between us and the Leafs however they've got 2 games in hand. Def want to see the Wings come out and play competative from the start. The leafs have scored 15 goals in the last 3 games :amazed:

AD1066

Sep 30, 2011
Will be worth noting that Kessel is possibly playing injured at the moment.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
N

I officially approve of those lines. Disagree with those that were saying Jurco to line 4. You promote guys producing, not the other way around.

Only reason to do so is when Abby gets healthy. Abby has been quite productive and useful on the top lines. He's earned it.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
It's probably worth noting that had Cleary been used in a diminished capacity last year in the same way he has been this year, the backlash against him would probably be minimal.

Chip39

Apr 19, 2013
Only reason to do so is when Abby gets healthy. Abby has been quite productive and useful on the top lines. He's earned it.

Yeah with Abby healthy and Jurco on the fourth line gives them four legit lines

BSHH

HSVer & Rotflügel
Apr 12, 2009
Hamburg
It's probably worth noting that had Cleary been used in a diminished capacity last year in the same way he has been this year, the backlash against him would probably be minimal.
However, it's even more worth noting that last year is in the past and has no bearing upon Cleary's current situation. Since he has not been detrimental to the team yet, those cries to waive him are childish at best. I'm looking forward to tomorrow's game and to never reading such foolish postings again - unfortunately only the former will become reality...

Gruß,
BSHH

Kyleftlx

twitter*****/kyle_ftl
May 9, 2010
Michigan!
I don't think Detroit needs to waive Cleary right now. It's frustrating to see him play over other players sometimes, and it sucks to see Detroit waive Nestrasil to keep him - but now what are you going to do? He's been a healthy scratch for 21 games this season. When he is playing, it's for 9 minutes a night. His season high is less than 12 minutes of ice time. He isn't playing on the PP. I think this is the perfect situation for Detroit. Instead of placing young guys in the press box who could maybe help the team (Tatar to start last season, Jurco for games once in a while, Kindl for Commodore a couple years ago), Detroit has a veteran with minimal upside sitting up in the box ready to play if needed. It allows the kids to develop at the NHL level / AHL level without having to continue to sit every game or every other game.

I don't mind it. I highly doubt Detroit brings Cleary back after this year, unless it's on an AHL contract / PTO / some sort of management type of deal.

Overall, it sucked that Detroit brought Cleary back for another year, and it sucks more that he is actually going to make it to his 10 games and earn a bonus he doesn't really deserve, but since he IS on the team and he IS going to stay here, be thankful he isn't in the lineup every day and look at the positive of the situation. He's the 14th forward, and that's really where he should be. Glad it's him instead of Pulkinnen or Jurco or another young player.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
N

Yeah, I'm hoping Jurco is able to generate some chemistry with Z and Goose, he plays in the tough areas, which Goose, Z, an Mule don't really do much of, so hopefully it's a fit. I get the feeling Mule will be great on the Sheahan line too. So here's to that.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
It'd be disappointing if the Wings lose at home against the Leafs coming off a back-to-back.

Actual Thought*

Quite frankly I am embarrassed by the treatment Cleary has gotten here. Completely unfair. The coach called on him and he answered regardless of health. He deserves credit for that. Not blame. He has always played hard and accepted whatever role he was given. Guys get hurt. Cleary has tried to extend his career as long as possible. There is no sin in that.

Mijatovic

Jan 23, 2014
Western Australia
Awkward haha.

I liked Jurco on the 4th when he wasn't producing as he gave the scoring edge. I feel the 4th line made a lot of chances but struggled to finish which he provided. Its not like our 4th line gets 4th line minutes so it's a perception problem rather than an actual problem playing down there.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Awkward haha.

I liked Jurco on the 4th when he wasn't producing as he gave the scoring edge. I feel the 4th line made a lot of chances but struggled to finish which he provided. Its not like our 4th line gets 4th line minutes so it's a perception problem rather than an actual problem playing down there.

I can understand this sentiment.

But Jurco can produce more when given linemates with actual skill. Actually, he can produce at a pretty good clip. With wither guys struggling I think it's the right move by Babcock to bump him up and bump Mule down.

As Flowah said, maybe web Abby comes back you re-adjust. But don't want Jurco playing with limited linemates right now preferably.

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
Nice to see Jurco up there in place of floating Franzen. Maybe he'll be the spark for that line.

Too2train

Nov 28, 2011
Just curious, didnt see a fantasy thread on this board. But what're the chances mrazek gets some starts soon?

splot

Jun 12, 2014
Just curious, didnt see a fantasy thread on this board. But what're the chances mrazek gets some starts soon?
Depends on how quickly Gustavsson recovers. Wouldn't expect more than two or three more starts at best, he's not a good option for fantasy this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad