Pre-Game Talk: Wings @ Leafs - March 24th, 7:00 PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

canadon

Jun 25, 2015
Vaughan, ON
May as well start talking about the next game here. Lets hope we dominate and continue the push to solidify all the confidence going into the playoffs.
We should not be taking the Wings lightly after facing (and mostly dominating) two best teams in the league.

DopeyFish

Mitchy McDangles
Nov 17, 2009
Depending on new jersey game today and tomorrow (vs pitt and TB), this is a potential clinch game

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Detroit takes a lot of shots and is playing a fast game recently, we have to continue to be aware and clear the front of the net - make sure to give Freddie his eyes and it should be a fairly easy game.

1. Franchise-record, home game winning streak is still active.
  2. Freddie is at 34 wins currently - 3 away from tying Raycroft, 4 away from setting a record.
  3. Our PP has been on fire.
  4. Last but not the least, let's bring the same game plan that we brought forth for Tampa Bay & Nashville. When we play that way, we can beat anyone.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
There's only one remaining game I'd consider myself "comfortable" with losing, and that's against the Jets, because they're also quite good.

Having said that, I really want us to go on a tear and just steamroll through our opponents leading into the Playoffs. If we keep playing like we've been able to the past couple of games, I see no reason why we can't.

Looking forward to this one.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Here's the Leafs schedule for the last 8 games.

Vs Wings March 24th
Vs Buffalo March 26th
Vs Florida March 28th
@ NYI March 30th
Vs Jets March 31st
Vs Buffalo April 2nd
@ NJ April 5th
Vs Montreal April 7th

2 away games, 6 home games. Facing only 2 teams that are in a playoff spot. 1 in the top 5 of the league, the other fighting for a wild card spot.
This could be a big run for the Leafs if the continue their pace with everyone being healthy. Nice way to get Matthews in and ready for the playoffs.

BTP

Apr 28, 2013
I know its not likely, but f*** it. I still wanna push for home ice. so win plz and thanks

member 262271

A buddy of mine is a wings fan (a checked out pro-tank one lol), he swears Detroit will win this game, I beg to differ. I feel like either result will be good cause then I can remind him about the lack of Dahlin or Svechnikov for the Wings next year haha.

Cleetus

"snot"
Jan 2, 2012
North!
Need Dallas to win tonight in regulation will bring us closer to Boston, we still got a outside chance for home ice!

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Need Dallas to win tonight in regulation will bring us closer to Boston, we still got a outside chance for home ice!
For sure, with Dallas on a losing streak and being 4 points out I see this as a very winnable game for the Stars especially with them being home. Hope Segs burns them again like he did last game when he set up Benn for the winner!

tom leafers

Jan 25, 2017
Toronto
I will be at this game!

Dont worry guys ive won us 2 in a row. Last year against Edmonton and the clinch game against Pittsburgh.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
If they can play like they did against Montreal and last night against Nashville, they should get the win. Now with that being said so far all the games against Detroit have not been easy despite their record, however at least they will have Matthews and that makes things a lot better.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF

It’s remote. If Boston loses tonight and Sunday, and we win tomorrow and Monday, then it’ll be a race

Reactions: rubous

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
If they can play like they did against Montreal and last night against Nashville, they should get the win. Now with that being said so far all the games against Detroit have not been easy despite their record, however at least they will have Matthews and that makes things a lot better.
The 6-3 win in October was a pretty solid one, if I remember correctly.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
At one point in that game Toronto lead 4-1 and Detroit came back to make it 4-3. So it wasn't exactly a cake walk towards a 6-3 win.
That's true, but I vaguely recall the Leafs being the easily superior team throughout the course of the game, even if Detroit did try to make it interesting. I was in the middle of a party that night, so my memory admittedly may not be the best.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
I am hoping we start McElhinney. No need to over exert Andersen at this point if you don't have to.
I think they'll give him 2 more starts out of remaining 8 games.

March 26th against the Sabres, and March 30th against the Islanders.

The remainder of games should go to Fred, let him get fine tuned and have a solid shot at 40 wins on the year!

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
Personally I'd split it 5/3.

Andersen-Detroit
McBackup-Buffalo
Andersen-Florida
McBackup-New York
Andersen-Winnipeg

Andersen-Buffalo
Andersen-NJ
McBackup-Montreal

Babs likely flips these 2 around but I really want to beat the Jets.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Personally I'd split it 5/3.

Andersen-Detroit
McBackup-Buffalo
Andersen-Florida
McBackup-New York
Andersen-Winnipeg

Andersen-Buffalo
Andersen-NJ
McBackup-Montreal

Babs likely flips these 2 around but I really want to beat the Jets.
I was also thinking that McElhinney could play against the Islanders and Andersen plays against the Jets. However I say that depends on if they have clinched their playoff spot and 3rd in the Atlantic before next Friday. Assuming that's happened there is nothing left to play for. Plus since Babcock has stuck to the script where Andersen plays the first night and McElhinney plays the second night, why would he change it?

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
I was also thinking that McElhinney could play against the Islanders and Andersen plays against the Jets. However I say that depends on if they have clinched their playoff spot and 3rd in the Atlantic before next Friday. Assuming that's happened there is nothing left to play for. Plus since Babcock has stuck to the script where Andersen plays the first night and McElhinney plays the second night, why would he change it?

Jets are really the last cup contender (ish) team we face before the playoffs. Rather Freddy gets that start instead of facing off against nothing but non-playoff teams the rest of the way. Just my thoughts but yeah I doubt Babs switches up his starter plays the first night backup the second night plan. Its likely not going to happen.

Reactions: IBeL13f

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

not so fast, I was just told on the main boards every team has a Matthews level player. So I think we need to cool our jets here, he isn't a Nathan MacKinnon or so im told over there. "Matthews is a nice little player"

Reactions: AnishLoomba

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Jets are really the last cup contender (ish) team we face before the playoffs. Rather Freddy gets that start instead of facing off against nothing but non-playoff teams the rest of the way. Just my thoughts but yeah I doubt Babs switches up his starter plays the first night backup the second night plan. Its likely not going to happen.
If there is a reason to have Freddy play against the Jets and I'm not saying McElhinney couldn't defeat them it's because the Leafs might still have their home winning streak on the line, assuming they win tomorrow, Monday and Wednesday. Now I think it's something Babcock does not care that much about and there are more important things upcoming. However out of all the teams that it could end against I don't want it to be against the Jets because of their fan base.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad