Rumor: Wings in contention for Daniel Brickley

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Consider this:
Saarijarvi is already a healthy scratch in GR some nights.

Chowlski and possibly Sambrook are joining the organization next year.
It's quite possible that Patrick Holway and Gustav Lindstrom join the organization the next year.
And there's also the outside shot that guys like Kotkansalo, Fraser or Webb sign too.
Plus - if we draft Dahlin, he's here next year.
There's also potential that Hughes, Dobson or Bouchard might be NHL ready next year.

Here are the guys we have coming off the books
NHL this year: Green (might be resigned)
NHL Next year: Kronwall, XO, Hicketts
AHL this year: Renouf
AHL next year: Russo, McIlrath, Lashoff

So next year, here are the defensemen signed:

1. Dekeyser
2. Kronwall
3. Ericsson
4. Daley
5. XO
6. Jensen
7. Witkowski
8. Hicketts
9. Cholowski
10. Hronek
11. Saarijarvi
12. Russo
13. Lashofff
14. Mcilrath
------
Plus
Our first round draft pick (potentially)
Any UFAs.
If we're signing someone who fits atop that list, I can see it.
If we're signing someone who just fits somewhere in the middle, no thanks.

That logjam probably doesn't deter them from bringing in a "free" asset that might have some upside, especially for a position where they could use all the help they can get.

-They probably still look for a way to get Ouellet off the team this summer
-If Lindstrom signs this offseason, unless he has a real good camp, he probably spends the 1st year of his ELC assigned back to his team in Sweden
-Ouellet or Russo could get claimed on waivers at the start of next season
-Most of the teams veteran waiver fodder forwards (Puempel/Tangradi/Lorito/Street) and goalies (Coreau/McCollum) are UFA's this summer, so it's possible that once the dust settles with waivers at the start of the season, they leverage some of their newly cleared waiver fodder depth on D (Lashoff/McIlrath/Russo/possibly Ouellet) to fill G and/or F depth in GR (IE like the Sproul for Puempel trade).

As for Brickley, if the Wings promise that he starts 18-19 with the big club, the silver lining might end up being that his penciling into the roster keeps Holland from sneaking in a surprise Daley like signing with some term along with attempting to re-sign Green.

From the DeKeyser signing until the start of the next season, Ken Holland limited his blueline moves to letting go of some dead weight (Pretty much gave Huskins to the Flyers/Ian White walked as a UFA/Compliance buyout on Colaiacovo) and extended a couple of younger guys that seemed to (at the time) have regular spots locked down for the foreseeable future (Smith, Kindl and Lashoff). Holland didn't panic sign/overpay any veteran UFA Dmen that offseason. If signing Brickley brings a similar approach, I'm all for it...

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
CuJo got 8M as a 38 year old goalie.
Hull got like 6M in August after everyone else had a load of time to sign him
Robitaille got similar to play a 3rd line role with 3rd line responsibilities.

Cujo was actually 2 months into 35.

As for Hull and Robitaille... Robitaille took $4M and wasn't initially expected to get relegated to the 3rd line. Hull actually made less than Robitaille in the first year of the deal. Both rejected big money offers from teams like the Rangers and Habs for a shot to win in Detroit. IIRC, the delay in bringing in Hull was because Holland was getting some Red Wings to re-work their contracts to free up money for him.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
That logjam probably doesn't deter them from bringing in a "free" asset that might have some upside, especially for a position where they could use all the help they can get.

-They probably still look for a way to get Ouellet off the team this summer
-If Lindstrom signs this offseason, unless he has a real good camp, he probably spends the 1st year of his ELC assigned back to his team in Sweden
-Ouellet or Russo could get claimed on waivers at the start of next season
-Most of the teams veteran waiver fodder forwards (Puempel/Tangradi/Lorito/Street) and goalies (Coreau/McCollum) are UFA's this summer, so it's possible that once the dust settles with waivers at the start of the season, they leverage some of their newly cleared waiver fodder depth on D (Lashoff/McIlrath/Russo/possibly Ouellet) to fill G and/or F depth in GR (IE like the Sproul for Puempel trade).

As for Brickley, if the Wings promise that he starts 18-19 with the big club, the silver lining might end up being that his penciling into the roster keeps Holland from sneaking in a surprise Daley like signing with some term along with attempting to re-sign Green.

From the DeKeyser signing until the start of the next season, Ken Holland limited his blueline moves to letting go of some dead weight (Pretty much gave Huskins to the Flyers/Ian White walked as a UFA/Compliance buyout on Colaiacovo) and extended a couple of younger guys that seemed to (at the time) have regular spots locked down for the foreseeable future (Smith, Kindl and Lashoff). Holland didn't panic sign/overpay any veteran UFA Dmen that offseason. If signing Brickley brings a similar approach, I'm all for it...

What I'll say is this:
Signing Dekeyser didn't stop us from resigning Quincey. It didn't help us clear out defenders to clear room for Kindl or PP time for Smith. It didn't help us clear out defenders to allow us to play Almquist more than 1 game.
It didn't clear out the GR log jam that may have stifled XO, Marchenko, Backman and Sproul.

Bottom line, if Brickely's upside is as a middle of the road defenseman, why bother? So College Coach Captain America Blashill can overplay/extend another NCAA kid?
To me a kid like Brickley make it harder for Cholowski/Hronek to get the opportunity they're going to need.
So unless you see Brickely as a real player, I don't want him.
It didn't stop us from playing Lashoff for 75 games the next year.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
What I'll say is this:
Signing Dekeyser didn't stop us from resigning Quincey. It didn't help us clear out defenders to clear room for Kindl or PP time for Smith. It didn't help us clear out defenders to allow us to play Almquist more than 1 game.
It didn't clear out the GR log jam that may have stifled XO, Marchenko, Backman and Sproul.

It didn't stop us from playing Lashoff for 75 games the next year.

Notice I stopped short of the 2013 offseason. After that came the signing of Ericssons current contract followed by the eventual panic re-signing of Kyle Quincey. The clearing of some log jam and no additions of termed UFA's on D during the period from late March to early October following the signing of DeKeyser was at least a refreshing step away from the usual.

That said, I don't know where you got your info on the 13-14 season, because your post is made up of mostly a boatload of fiction...

No room for Kindl? - He got a big extension that offseason and started 13-14 in the top 6 (maybe even top 4). Not sure how much more room they needed for him? Get rid of Kronwall so Kindl can play every minute on the PP? Kindl was a regular for the Red Wings first 37 games of that season (getting close to or more than 20 minutes in a lot of them), before ending up back in Babcocks doghouse right before Christmas. He ended up clearing waivers a year later, before becoming a warm body for the Panthers and leaving the NHL, probably for good. So maybe they never needed room for him in the first place?

Logjam in GR? - Outside of two vets, Brennan Evans and Nathan Paetsch, GR had Almquist and then Ouellet, Sproul, Jensen and Marchenko each playing their first season in the AHL. Backman had been assigned to Linkoping and didn't even want to stay in GR the next year. Not sure how having only two AHL vets on the team "stifled" any of those players?

Lashoffs 75 games - Lashoff was supposed to be the #7 guy that would spend most games enjoying popcorn in "Meech Manor" when everyone was healthy. Trouble is, outside of Quincey and for the most part Kronwall, every other Red Wings Dman missed at least a few games with injuries at various points during the year, which made Lashoff a low minute regular on the 3rd pairing. He was eventually dispatched via healthy scratch and then waivers and demotion in favor of the apparently "stifled" Marchenko and Ouellet the next season. But during that season, Lashoff certainly didn't block Almquist, Ouellet, Marchenko and Sproul, who all got looks at the NHL level. It was actually two games for Almquist...

What's interesting is that 4.5 years later, all of the Dmen you mention as being "stifled", not getting PP time or the RW didn't have room for are either:

A. On the Red Wings current roster playing less than mediocre with allegedly no other NHL interest at the recent trade deadline (Ouellet)
B. Waiver fodder acting as a warm body on a rebuilding NHL team that has two regular Dmen out with injuries, and sent away two regular dmen at the recent trade deadline (Sproul)
C. Overpaid garbage currently buried in the AHL (Smith)
D. Couldn't cut it on a crap Panthers team and is now out of the NHL (Kindl)
E. Agreed to terminate his NHL contract to go back to Russia (Marchenko)
F. Ran for the KHL before he even became an NHL RFA... almost like he himself knew he had no shot in the NHL (Almquist)
G. Never even played an NHL game after being part of three different NHL organizations (Backman)

Also, almost all of them have cleared NHL waivers at least once. The exception being Ouellet. Almquist never even made it to the expiration of waiver exemption... And aside from Ouellet and Almquist, all of them had opportunities with NHL clubs not run by Ken Holland or coached by a guy who hates young or/and not college developed players, and either regressed or made zero NHL impact.

It's almost like maybe these guys that get paid big bucks to make decisions about NHL players actually do know what they're doing most of the time.....

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Not a surprise. Young players want to join the best, to learn from the best (Doughty).

When we had Lidström, everybody wanted to join us.

Let's go to draft our players first, which future FAs want to join. It goes hand-in-hand.

Kyleftlx

twitter*****/kyle_ftl
May 9, 2010
Michigan!
Nothing gained, nothing lost. Detroit should really go harder on these college free agents, imo. If they can find a couple more who could turn into a Dekeyser / Glendening level talent, they really should look towards it and then flip the guy before the long term deal happens.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Nothing gained, nothing lost. Detroit should really go harder on these college free agents, imo. If they can find a couple more who could turn into a Dekeyser / Glendening level talent, they really should look towards it and then flip the guy before the long term deal happens.

When everybody can offer a maximum equal contract (for these college kids), how can you "go harder" after them ?

Kyleftlx

twitter*****/kyle_ftl
May 9, 2010
Michigan!
When everybody can offer a maximum equal contract (for these college kids), how can you "go harder" after them ?
I am referring to going after more of them. I only saw anything about Detroit being interested in Brickley. I saw tons of guys signed over the past week. Offer guys an opportunity to play in the NHL as soon as next season. It's not a huge pull, but you can say that the guy will get experience in the Calder Cup playoffs (assuming they're eligible to play there? I know guys have to be sent down by the deadline to be eligible from the NHL club, not sure how it works otherwise) and give them a faster track to the NHL club. Who knows.

dragonballgtz

Jul 30, 2014

Show him our winning culture...and by "winning culture" I mean do a whole lot of shady under the table stuff for him

Reactions: Henkka

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
I am referring to going after more of them. I only saw anything about Detroit being interested in Brickley. I saw tons of guys signed over the past week. Offer guys an opportunity to play in the NHL as soon as next season. It's not a huge pull, but you can say that the guy will get experience in the Calder Cup playoffs (assuming they're eligible to play there? I know guys have to be sent down by the deadline to be eligible from the NHL club, not sure how it works otherwise) and give them a faster track to the NHL club. Who knows.

Or you just draft your team and you don't waste your time on irrelevant assets just because they're free . If a Brickley makes sense? Good, go after him. Jimmy Vesey? Ok, I get it.

Just because a guy is out there to sign does not mean you must be interested in him.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Or you just draft your team and you don't waste your time on irrelevant assets just because they're free . If a Brickley makes sense? Good, go after him. Jimmy Vesey? Ok, I get it.

Just because a guy is out there to sign does not mean you must be interested in him.

These guys are needed when you are contender and your success starts to be a problem through salary cap. Then some cheap young player with ELC gives some help in depth vs. cap situation.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
These guys are needed when you are contender and your success starts to be a problem through salary cap. Then some cheap young player with ELC gives some help in depth vs. cap situation.

I mean, are we anywhere close to that? I’m not excited about going spray and pray on undrafted guys

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->