Rumor: Wings in contention for Daniel Brickley

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I don't think he is that good in all honesty. I won't hate it but he is another bottom pairing D-man to me because of his skating from what I have seen. Do we need one of those? I mean I guess if Brinkley is your add to chase Jack Hughes and actually given ample PP time to make use of his shot. Just not sure we need this guy. Would rather promote Cholowski if we are looking for a left handed D.

I too would like to fast-track Cholo, though I still have serious reservations about his physical maturity at this point. I am certainly not expecting Brickley to materially change the trajectory of this organization, but could see him as an improvement over the bottom of the defensive depth chart. I can appreciate why that isn't sexy to most though. Unlike Jensen and DDK, he can actually play with and move the puck. He is also a pretty big kid who has no issues defending at the college level. I think the puck skills give him some potential to play above the bottom pair.

As to your original point, this organization will end up giving out contracts to prospects who are far worse than Brickley. If our drafted kids are as good as we expect them to be, he should be passed in short order if he isn't any good.

Again, I do not expect him to sign in Detroit for what it is worth.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Why those 3 teams, I wonder? Detroit's defense depth chart is pretty bare, but LA and SJ aren't really in that position, IMO. They have solid talent that would be in the way.

Despite what many around here want to believe, The Red Wings are still one of the best sports organizations in the world. It shouldn't surprise anyone that players want to play here.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
I'd love to see how
1) College undrafted UFAs
2) College drafted UFAs
3) CHL undrafted UFAs
compare with draft picks
On average, do they have as much success as a 4th round pick? 2nd round pick? 7th round pick?

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I too would like to fast-track Cholo, though I still have serious reservations about his physical maturity at this point. I am certainly not expecting Brickley to materially change the trajectory of this organization, but could see him as an improvement over the bottom of the defensive depth chart. I can appreciate why that isn't sexy to most though. Unlike Jensen and DDK, he can actually play with and move the puck. He is also a pretty big kid who has no issues defending at the college level. I think the puck skills give him some potential to play above the bottom pair.

As to your original point, this organization will end up giving out contracts to prospects who are far worse than Brickley. If our drafted kids are as good as we expect them to be, he should be passed in short order if he isn't any good.

Again, I do not expect him to sign in Detroit for what it is worth.

Jensen was an All-American with .01 higher offensive output during his time in college. DDK has never been offensive but he skates and defends better than Brickley. I am not sure I agree. We can roll the dice on him, but I am not sold is all. We could get lucky though. He isn't materially better than XO or Jensen is kind of my point and I don't project him to be better as a pro currently.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Despite what many around here want to believe, The Red Wings are still one of the best sports organizations in the world. It shouldn't surprise anyone that players want to play here.
Just not the high end ones that don't even take Holland's calls.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Jensen was an All-American with .01 higher offensive output during his time in college. DDK has never been offensive but he skates and defends better than Brickley. I am not sure I agree. We can roll the dice on him, but I am not sold is all. We could get lucky though. He isn't materially better than XO or Jensen is kind of my point and I don't project him to be better as a pro currently.

I don't see improving upon XO and Jensen as that big of a task to be honest with you, especially with a player that has some capacity to get better (the big difference between Brickley and XO/Jensen). Long story short, I just don't see any huge opportunity cost that should deter us from making the offer. If he can't cut it with the Wings, he was destine for a life in the AHL and isn't blocking anyone.

The best part of this is we will be able to sit back and watch how he turns out as a pro. Again, I am not expecting him to sign with the Wings, but who knows.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Stamkos comes to mind. Wasn't it reported that the Wings didn't even get a chance to talk to him?
He only met with his home town Leafs before signing with Tampa.

Not like he was just showing up at places to be wooed.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
I don't see improving upon XO and Jensen as that big of a task to be honest with you, especially with a player that has some capacity to get better (the big difference between Brickley and XO/Jensen). Long story short, I just don't see any huge opportunity cost that should deter us from making the offer. If he can't cut it with the Wings, he was destine for a life in the AHL and isn't blocking anyone.

The best part of this is we will be able to sit back and watch how he turns out as a pro. Again, I am not expecting him to sign with the Wings, but who knows.

Consider this:
Saarijarvi is already a healthy scratch in GR some nights.

Chowlski and possibly Sambrook are joining the organization next year.
It's quite possible that Patrick Holway and Gustav Lindstrom join the organization the next year.
And there's also the outside shot that guys like Kotkansalo, Fraser or Webb sign too.
Plus - if we draft Dahlin, he's here next year.
There's also potential that Hughes, Dobson or Bouchard might be NHL ready next year.

Here are the guys we have coming off the books
NHL this year: Green (might be resigned)
NHL Next year: Kronwall, XO, Hicketts
AHL this year: Renouf
AHL next year: Russo, McIlrath, Lashoff

So next year, here are the defensemen signed:

1. Dekeyser
2. Kronwall
3. Ericsson
4. Daley
5. XO
6. Jensen
7. Witkowski
8. Hicketts
9. Cholowski
10. Hronek
11. Saarijarvi
12. Russo
13. Lashofff
14. Mcilrath
------
Plus
Our first round draft pick (potentially)
Any UFAs.
If we're signing someone who fits atop that list, I can see it.
If we're signing someone who just fits somewhere in the middle, no thanks.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
College UFA D Daniel Brickley visited DET yesterday. Next up: SJ and LA. Five teams in the mix. Three visits thus far. Decision likely by weekend if not sooner.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
The Insinuation that Stamkos has any bearing on the choices of other free agents is laughable.
Who said that? I was simply making the point that Detroit is no longer anything special. Sure, the undrafted kids and run-of-the-mill free agents will still be in the mix, but no truly impactful players have any interest in joining this mess of their own volition.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

I guess I am stunned, to date he has shown me nothing indicating he is a better player. Dropping him into the deep-end that is pro hockey will likely show his speed issues. Same problem XO encountered while being much more talented in other areas. His Junior season is almost a carbon copy of Jensen who was an All-American and is an elite skater.

Nothing indicates that he is going to be better than those guys other than hope. We would need to go a few more years to see him lock that in as well. I mean just to get to the level those guys have developed to. Hey I hope for Brickley's sake to be wrong, but I don't find him all that enticing in terms of the last bunch of UFA type guys to come along.

Also Butcher, Schultz and some of the other names were drafted. Similar to if Sambrook re-enters the draft on us there is a difference there in terms of CHL guys. I don't look at them as run of the mill UFA college players at all just like I don't look at players re-entering the draft from the CHL in the same way. I guess to each there own, but we shall see how it goes. I think we should focus on some of our own guys and draft more talent. I don't need another bottom pairing guy is all.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Consider this:
Saarijarvi is already a healthy scratch in GR some nights.

Chowlski and possibly Sambrook are joining the organization next year.
It's quite possible that Patrick Holway and Gustav Lindstrom join the organization the next year.
And there's also the outside shot that guys like Kotkansalo, Fraser or Webb sign too.
Plus - if we draft Dahlin, he's here next year.
There's also potential that Hughes, Dobson or Bouchard might be NHL ready next year.

Here are the guys we have coming off the books
NHL this year: Green (might be resigned)
NHL Next year: Kronwall, XO, Hicketts
AHL this year: Renouf
AHL next year: Russo, McIlrath, Lashoff

So next year, here are the defensemen signed:

1. Dekeyser
2. Kronwall
3. Ericsson
4. Daley
5. XO
6. Jensen
7. Witkowski
8. Hicketts
9. Cholowski
10. Hronek
11. Saarijarvi
12. Russo
13. Lashofff
14. Mcilrath
------
Plus
Our first round draft pick (potentially)
Any UFAs.
If we're signing someone who fits atop that list, I can see it.
If we're signing someone who just fits somewhere in the middle, no thanks.

Sulak is also probably in their organizational depth chart somewhere in there as well.

Reactions: Redder Winger

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Who said that? I was simply making the point that Detroit is no longer anything special. Sure, the undrafted kids and run-of-the-mill free agents will still be in the mix, but no truly impactful players have any interest in joining this mess of their own volition.

I suppose the reason a young UFA would join "a mess" is the likelihood of seeing NHL playing time sooner than later.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
More interested in Jimmy Schuldt, hopefully we are also looking at him.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada

This thread is about Brickley and the wings are reportedly in contention so what relevance do these other guys have on the likelihood of Brickley signing?

We are talking about a guy who is trying to establish a career here. I don't mean to be the "stay on topic police" but how does stamkos (or anyone else) not signing with Detroit matter to this discussion when the Wings are clearly in the mix here?

Last edited:

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I guess I am stunned, to date he has shown me nothing indicating he is a better player. Dropping him into the deep-end that is pro hockey will likely show his speed issues. Same problem XO encountered while being much more talented in other areas. His Junior season is almost a carbon copy of Jensen who was an All-American and is an elite skater.

Nothing indicates that he is going to be better than those guys other than hope. We would need to go a few more years to see him lock that in as well. I mean just to get to the level those guys have developed to. Hey I hope for Brickley's sake to be wrong, but I don't find him all that enticing in terms of the last bunch of UFA type guys to come along. .

I think you are correct to have questions about his skating, but you can't have a meaningful discussion about skating without size and length. At Jensen's size and build he absolutely needs to be an elite skater to play effectively in the NHL. While Brickley certainly doesn't have Jensen's skating, Jensen certainly does not have Brickley's size either. Similarly, XO's skating on a much bigger man is a different player. I am probably less bearish than you on him because he is far more comfortable and effective with the puck than Jensen was at the same stage. Jensen's production has always been more about athleticism than actual skill (and as someone who likes Jensen more than most, I don't say that as an insult).

Again, I don't see the harm that you do. If he sucks as you contend, he won't be a road block to his three contemporaries in the organization and will simply end up in GR. If you think he is going to be better than Holway and Sambrook (probably the best stylistic comparables) give him a contract offer. It will be interesting to see if Brickley makes it back to the WC this year and whether he commands more ice time this go round.

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
Does anyone know why he didn't get drafted? He had good junior numbers leading up to the draft. Is his speed that bad?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Does anyone know why he didn't get drafted? He had good junior numbers leading up to the draft. Is his speed that bad?

13-14 was his draft year. .5 ppg in the CCHL is not great. Another defenseman that went in the 7th round that year was ppg in the same league.

crashnburnluder

Dec 19, 2010
Say if Brickley does sign here, hoping he does because we can give him a starting spot and a roster spot next season. Where do you think he lines up with our other D prospects.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012

To FAs... was Detroit EVER anything special? Even with no cap, how many guys did they land just because they were Detroit and not because they came to the table with money? Most of their huge signings in the Cup runs era were traded for at the TDL and then re-signed or straight re-signings of their own players than actual UFA pickups. And the UFA pickups they did get were usually kinda hefty contracts for the roles they played.

I think they really landed two big FAs just because they were Detroit and were a stud franchise. Rafalski (who was a Dearborn native) and Hossa (who just lost in the Cup finals to them and was 100% chasing a Cup).

What players did they land because they were "the best team in the league" that they didn't pay an at or above market price for?

CuJo got 8M as a 38 year old goalie.
Hull got like 6M in August after everyone else had a load of time to sign him
Robitaille got similar to play a 3rd line role with 3rd line responsibilities.

The whole thing that Detroit seemed to do in the 1990s was acquire a player and re-sign him long term after he was already here instead of really landing a huge fish in FA.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad