wings goaltender

djdan6215

Feb 26, 2012
the wings have a lot of very good goaltender prospect ..but the only problem is jimmy howard are still young 28 and he have very good stats in the last three years..

now what will happen with the other prospect in the future ..
1-petr mrazek : has been one of the best goalies in the AHL.
2-thomas mccollum :have pretty good stats this year in grand rapids
3-jake peterson :very good ine the ohl but he is very young

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere
We have a glut of prospects. Right now, we could make a very competitive team out of them we have so much. In my opinion, If McCollum can keep this up we should trade him, Nyquist, and some others for something valuable in return.

Anchor Town*

In case you haven't noticed, he have a glut of forwards and an ugly mess the brass is trying to pass on as a Dcorps. What do you propose we try and do to make it better?

Not trade our top prospect? How about trading Jurco+Tatar+Pulkkinen for a top 6 forward or a #2 or #3 defenseman

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
Mrazek is still at least 3 years away from the NHL then he can be a back up for a couple of years. That wouldn't be a long development process even for the Wings. McCollumn has had a hand full of good games. I'm not ready to say he's a lock for the NHL. Patterson is still in Junior. I don't see any problems leaving things as they are.

sully6one

Unregistered User
Aug 6, 2011
Michigan
Our defense is fine. Just because we don't have a proven #1 doesn't mean we will give up 3 goals a game. Luckily for us forwards can play defensively, coaches can change strategies, and goalies can play well. I'm not worried one bit.

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
We have two good ones down and I think we will have two good ones up this year. McCollumn is not going to make it sorry to say that, bring Jake up to back up in grand rapids and lets roll with that. I think with the monster under our coaching staff he will turn back into the goalie that bested Henrik back in the day. the goalie coach for the leafs had no clue what he was doing.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
We have two good ones down and I think we will have two good ones up this year. McCollumn is not going to make it sorry to say that, bring Jake up to back up in grand rapids and lets roll with that. I think with the monster under our coaching staff he will turn back into the goalie that bested Henrik back in the day. the goalie coach for the leafs had no clue what he was doing.

Mrazek is our top goalie prospect and should be NHL caliber in a couple seasons. McCollum is having a nice rebound year but it's far too soon to say he's made himself relevant as a prospect. With Paterson he's still all potential and he's doing everything you can ask.

So I like that we finally have some legit prospects at goal which has not been the case for the longest time. There isn't much we can part with IMO. Perhaps you can trade McCollum but you wouldn't get much in return given his largely poor performance since being drafted. Goalie is actually the least of our problems which is amazing considering how much difficulty we've had developing goalies over the years.

Qubax

Oct 25, 2002
Visit site
Instead of starting a new thread, I thought I would put this here.

Is Joey MacDonald still under contract with the Wings?

I know Howard is #1 and the Monster is #2, but Joey Mac looked good last year and with the Monsters inconsistencies and the potential for injuries to Howard I am wondering if MacDonald is still in the fold...

Thanks!

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
Mrazek is our top goalie prospect and should be NHL caliber in a couple seasons. McCollum is having a nice rebound year but it's far too soon to say he's made himself relevant as a prospect. With Paterson he's still all potential and he's doing everything you can ask.

So I like that we finally have some legit prospects at goal which has not been the case for the longest time. There isn't much we can part with IMO. Perhaps you can trade McCollum but you wouldn't get much in return given his largely poor performance since being drafted. Goalie is actually the least of our problems which is amazing considering how much difficulty we've had developing goalies over the years.
That is what I was saying just let McCollum walk, bring up Paterson to the ahl and run with Jimmy and the monster at the big team. when Mrazek is ready bring him up.

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
Speaking of goalies.

Is anyone concerned that neither of the wings top 2 goalies played much at all during the lockout?

ThankYouBasedGod

Oct 25, 2010
Saskatoon
Speaking of goalies.

Is anyone concerned that neither of the wings top 2 goalies played much at all during the lockout?

No, a lot of teams starting goalies didn't go anywhere too play during the lockout. Rinne was the only starter from this division too play anywhere (unless you want too count Halak's 1 game played in the German league) and he didn't fare to well in the KHL

Anchor Town*

Speaking of goalies.

Glad Howard is well rested. Should be able to ride him in all but say 5 games

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Glad Howard is well rested. Should be able to ride him in all but say 5 games

Not why we brought in Monster, my guess is Howard gets 35 of the 50 or somewhere around there. But there could be a lot of back to backs so we might actually see more of Monster than even I am thinking. Hope he plays well, either way Howard should be well rested for the playoffs.

With UFA status and fighting for a position on the US Olympic roster he should be primed for a big year. One we will probably end up paying through the nose for is the only huge concern I have.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
As far as MacDonald goes I am pretty sure he has requested a trade. There's little chance he starts off on the Detroit roster. McCollum is playing well but would be the most likely guy to head to Toledo if Joey Mac is put through waivers and sent to Grand Rapids. I'd be surprised if MacDonald played for the DRW this year.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
As far as MacDonald goes I am pretty sure he has requested a trade. There's little chance he starts off on the Detroit roster. McCollum is playing well but would be the most likely guy to head to Toledo if Joey Mac is put through waivers and sent to Grand Rapids. I'd be surprised if MacDonald played for the DRW this year.

It's a trade I think. No need to crush McCollum's confidence when he finally has it.

SlavaKozlov

Feb 16, 2003
Akron, OH
Visit site
My thought on this the other day was that Monster is signed for 2 years, after that (if he does establish himself better with the Wings) he might want to go elsewhere and Mrazek could be the backup for 2014-15, and Patterson will be in the AHL by that time too. Either that, or we will see a veteran like Conklin for a year if Mrazek isn't ready.

The Wings seem to be in solid salary cap position for next year, so I don't think they will have problems giving raises to Howard and Filppula to keep them this summer.

Kind of feel bad for MacDonald, the Wings have liked him as the #3 tucked away in the AHL in case of emergencies, but he seems frustrated that he never gets the chance to be the regular backup. He's still on the team, but does want out. I think the problem is that I don't know what kind of opportunities are out there for him... Holland will probably try to trade him, if nobody answers, he will put him on waivers, and someone might claim him. It was suck to see one of Mrazek or McCollum go to Toledo after they have been playing well as a tandem in Grand Rapids of late, but Joey Mac will be in Grand Rapids if he remains in the Wings system, I would imagine, and would be the #3 guy.

I wouldn't mind the Wings trying to package McCollum in a trade while his stock is higher. He will probably be re-signed and put through waivers to go to the AHL again next year if they don't trade him. I just don't think his stock is high enough to get much in return, unless he is part of a bigger package.

heyfolks

Apr 30, 2007
A good looking group of prospect but, by Wing standards, none are near ready. Further, I doubt are ripe enough for another 3 years. McCollum made a huge mistake not staying in juniors and then hitting the college league. I doubt he is claimed in waivers but he will likely be put on the wire when his time is up.

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
A good looking group of prospect but, by Wing standards, none are near ready. Further, I doubt are ripe enough for another 3 years. McCollum made a huge mistake not staying in juniors and then hitting the college league. I doubt he is claimed in waivers but he will likely be put on the wire when his time is up.

McCollum played for Guelph Storm OHL & Brampton Battalion OHL not college

Hckytwn

Don't do it Kenny...
Jul 9, 2010
Seattle, WA
We have a glut of prospects. Right now, we could make a very competitive team out of them we have so much. In my opinion, If McCollum can keep this up we should trade him, Nyquist, and some others for something valuable in return.

With the cap situation, I think prospects are going to be even more important. More teams will be able to spend to the cap and the only way to get an edge is to get value out of those young player EL & RFA contracts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad