Helene St. James Wings eyeing Bouchard

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Detroit Red Wings mailbag: Can they trade for Rasmus Dahlin?

HSJ: From people I talk to in the organization, Evan Bouchard tops their post-Dahlin defensive depth chart. He has size (6-foot-2, 193 pounds), shoots right, has a heavy shot and a great first pass. He dominated in the Ontario Hockey League with 25 goals among 87 points in 67 games, tops among OHL defensemen. Beyond that, Adam Boqvist and Michigan’s Quinn Hughes are dynamic skaters, and Noah Dobson is another big guy (6-foot-3, 180 pounds) who shoots right, makes a good first pass and skates well.
Forward Oliver Wahlstrom (40 goals among 83 points in 54 games with National Team Development Program) is an elite goal scorer, but the Wings really need an top defensive prospect.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I'm glad to hear it.

Of course, sometimes this stuff is a smokescreen. If you want Boqvist or somebody, say you want Bouchard instead.

By that logic, we should actually be targeting Tkachuk or Wahlstrom because she said they want defense. I think at pick #6, it allows you to be more transparent than say pick 10, which is more transparent than pick 20. And so on. So I do believe they probably have Bouchard very much on their radar, but wouldn't be surprised if they went elsewhere.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Nobody, again say it all together, nobody in the top five is going to draft a player to screw over the DRW who draft 6.

If the Sens or yotes take Bouchard its solely because that' who they were always going to take

Its like buffalo announing they're taking dahlin.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Let's understand she is saying that he is their top defenseman after Dahlin... not their top player after Dahlin.

Big difference there. I do think the wingers they probably like over Bouchard will be gone by the time they pick, personally... but we will have to see how it plays out.

Reactions: Fire Ken Holland

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
She did have Svechnikov right a few years back. I believe Bouchard was also the first player Draper mentioned in that interview a month back or so. Bob’s list also had Bouchard close to being the consensus 2nd Dman off the board. This doesn’t surprise me at all.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Bouchard is probably the guy I want least out of that defensive group after Dahlin, but Ill take him and be happy.

Really?

I understand the thought process of posters who want us to swing for the fences but at pick six I want a real player, a career detroit red wing guy

Bouchard may seem safe but he also has very good offensive instincts that he isnt going to be just a fourth Dman, top pairing for sure.

Reactions: Fire Ken Holland
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Idk about Bouchard.

He seems to have really heavy feet and I'm not sure I see enough in terms if compete level. He just looks super nonchalant and his footwork is soooo slow. I don't see much ability that's going to translate with less time and space in tougher leagues.

I'm a bit worried that Wright is blinded by size again.

turkleton85

Dec 12, 2017
Idk about Bouchard.

He seems to have really heavy feet and I'm not sure I see enough in terms if compete level. He just looks super nonchalant and his footwork is soooo slow. I don't see much ability that's going to translate with less time and space in tougher leagues.

At first, a few weeks ago, i was pretty convinced bouchard would be a great choice and i still like him as a player. But over the last weeks, i've watched more and more of the other defensice prospects and i noticed him being nonchalant as well. compared with the other guys, he reminds me a bit of anthony mantha, to be honest.

I am probably wrong with this assesment, but i am non so sure anymore with bouchard.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
At first, a few weeks ago, i was pretty convinced bouchard would be a great choice and i still like him as a player. But over the last weeks, i've watched more and more of the other defensice prospects and i noticed him being nonchalant as well. compared with the other guys, he reminds me a bit of anthony mantha, to be honest.

I am probably wrong with this assesment, but i am non so sure anymore with bouchard.

Keep in mind he is being asked to play huge minutes. This is where you have to do your homework and see if there are character issues, or if the kid is just conserving energy and trying to make it through the season. With the preaching of character in these last few drafts, I would imagine they have probably vetted this kid out pretty good and talked to his coach and others about him.

The fact that he tested decently well at the Top Prospect Game shows that he can get moving when he needs to (at least in a straight line). I think if his minutes were managed a bit better he wouldn't have some of these perceived issues we hear about. Not saying he is the only defenseman getting deployed like this in Juniors, but I feel like it is kind of working against him a little bit in some respects.

Last edited:

turkleton85

Dec 12, 2017
Keep in mind he is being asked to play huge minutes. This is where you have to do your homework and see if there are character issues, or if the kid is just conserving energy and trying to make it through the season. With the preaching of character in these last few drafts, I would imagine they have probably vetted this kid out pretty good and talked to his coach and others about him.

The fact that he tested decently well at the Top Prospect Game shows that he can get moving when he needs to. I think if his minutes were managed a bit better he wouldn't have some of these perceived issues we hear about. Not saying he is the only defenseman getting deployed like this in Juniors, but I feel like it is kind of working against him a little bit in some respects.

Yeah see, i didn't even knew his test results from the prospect game, i only watch clips on youtube. It's always easy to fall in love with a prospects game or see things you don't like - but i noticed him not being as dynamic as the other guys. The circumstances you pointed out alway pass me by ^^

Reactions: Voodoo Glow Skulls
Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Really?

I understand the thought process of posters who want us to swing for the fences but at pick six I want a real player, a career detroit red wing guy

Bouchard may seem safe but he also has very good offensive instincts that he isnt going to be just a fourth Dman, top pairing for sure.
It's sorta weird how such an offensive player gets saddled with "safe". Makes it sound like he's some kind of unspectacular defensive guy or something, like Jared McIsaac++. With Bouchard, it's just that he's a little older and more polished right now. He's still a dynamic talent with very high-end ability. Let's not let the lack of risk distract us from how high the reward is.

Jul 30, 2005
Idk about Bouchard.

Operative word here: "seems." We should just sticky this:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Last edited:
Jul 30, 2005
I hate how the colors and names of that graphic aren't in the same order. I also am kind of questioning where that kid got the full test results and times... I don't know how credible they are?

I do know he finished 2nd in the backward skate, per this source:
CHL’s Top Prospects Showcase Strengths in Sport Testing Combine – Sherwin-Williams CHL/NHL Top Prospects Game
My guess is the creator had the times, but not how the actual execution of the test went. Then they just plotted some lines that match the time, and voila. So it's likely to be a really rough thing.

As far as I can tell, the guy who posted it is just some guy who makes a lot of prospect YouTube videos. Not really some leading authority or anything.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I don't know lol, but my ranking goes boqvist dobson Hughes bouchard at this point
Flip flopper!!! :laugh: jk

Such a marginal perceived difference between the prospects there's some shuffling going on. I just remembered reading your name as a like minded individual.

Reactions: TheMule93

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->