Confirmed with Link: Wings extend with Lashoff - 3 years, one-way, $725k/yr

RedWingsNow*

I don't get why you hate Lashoff so much. He's the only defender who looks like he could grow into Brad Stuarts role, which is exactly what you thought this team needed.

Granted I don't think he's a top 4 guy yet, and his paycheck reflects that appropriately, but he's got time to work it out.

I don't get why anyone likes him.
He has recorded hits, but he's not actually noticeably physical (I did see him try to line someone up once).
I haven't seen him skate with the puck with any ability.

What I see is him getting burned on a nearly nightly basis and lots of goals going in when he's on the ice.
And then i see the stats -- and they are even worse than I imagined.

Frankly, it looks like people based on what they think he is--and not what he actually is.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
He has recorded hits, but he's not actually noticeably physical (I did see him try to line someone up once).

What I see is him getting burned on a nearly nightly basis and lots of goals going in when he's on the ice.

Frankly, it looks like people based on what they think he is--and not what he actually is.

I don't think anybody is in love with him. His contract reflects his status as a fringe NHL player.

But he plays with an edge and he should only get better. I don't think it's inconceivable he could grow into a nice player that could grind out good PK minutes and make life hell for players in front of the net. He's got learning to do and he's not there yet, but hey, defenders take time. Even #1 pick Erik Johnson is still putting it together after 300 NHL games.

Ericsson sure has come a long way. I think they see a guy like that in the making. Expect growing pains. :laugh:

we like our team*

kronwall is a gutless pun- oh, we we're talking about lashoff. HE'S REALLY BAD AT DEFENSE (WHICH KRONWALL ALSO IS BTW)

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
I don't think anybody is in love with him. His contract reflects his status as a fringe NHL player.

Fringe player? How many Joneses, Karlssons, or Schultzes come around who command >=$1m per year their rookie season?

I wouldn't say Lashoff is a "fringe player," more like "undrafted rookie defenseman."

And if some folks are up in arms about Lashoff, wait until Chad Billins gets his shot in a season or two; this place is going to absolutely melt the **** down.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Fringe player? How many Joneses, Karlssons, or Schultzes come around who command >=$1m per year their rookie season?

I wouldn't say Lashoff is a "fringe player," more like "undrafted rookie defenseman."

And if some folks are up in arms about Lashoff, wait until Chad Billins gets his shot in a season or two; this place is going to absolutely melt the **** down.

I don't think Billins even gets a Wings contract given the room they have to make in GR next year for guys with better ceilings. I like Billins, but without serious improvement on his shot he is useless as a PP QB at the NHL level. He isn't Rafalski people and I am very tired of that comparison. I wouldn't be angry if they give him a deal. But realistically how in the world is he going to beat out Kronwall, Smith, Ericsson, Sproul, Ouellet, Marchenko, Jensen, FA and others like imagine they sign DeKeyser. He is a tiny left handed defenseman that shoots as hard as an eighth grader. Look at his hattrick the other night, none of them were classic d-man goals.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills

He's 22 years old and has played 15 games, what the hell are you expecting? We've seen over 100 games of Kindl and people are still treating him for what he could be, not what he actually is. Seriously, you're saying after 15 games, this team is going no where with him on it, how is that rational at all?

I don't even know what kind of future he has, but I sure as hell am not making up my mind on a 22 year old kid, after 15 games in a shortened season with no training camp on the weakest Red Wings team in 20 + years. I mean really, people want the kids to get a chance, but apparently they get 15 games before being deemed completely worthless.

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
I don't think Billins even gets a Wings contract given the room they have to make in GR next year for guys with better ceilings. I like Billins, but without serious improvement on his shot he is useless as a PP QB at the NHL level. He isn't Rafalski people and I am very tired of that comparison. I wouldn't be angry if they give him a deal. But realistically how in the world is he going to beat out Kronwall, Smith, Ericsson, Sproul, Ouellet, Marchenko, Jensen, FA and others like imagine they sign DeKeyser. He is a tiny left handed defenseman that shoots as hard as an eighth grader. Look at his hattrick the other night, none of them were classic d-man goals.

Remember, again, he's an undrafted rookie who can actually play some defense as well as PP the QB. I'll tell you, working on a shot is easy compared trying to train someone to see the ice like Billins can; he's got killer hockey IQ, and while it's likely he won't get more than a cursory glance at camp next year, watch out for him in 2014-2015. The Wings are going to need another PP QB soon, and he fits the bill even though he's not right-handed.

As far as guys in Grand Rapids goes, Billins will probably be the top-pairing PMD next year, and it's likely one or more of the veterans is ditched to make room; Skinner, Paetsch, and Evans are expendable, and unless Fournier picks it up he might be looking at another season in Toledo. Sproul, Ouellet, Marchenko, and Jensen will be spending at least 1 or 2 years in the A -- if not more -- and that's assuming all of those guys remain in the Wings system.

(Hey, I was right about Lashoff getting a shot, so who knows? ;) )

I mean really, people want the kids to get a chance, but apparently they get 15 games before being deemed completely worthless.

What's that? Hold on, I'm trying to eat this cake...

Last edited:

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease

Easy, tiger.

He's making fringe player NHL money. That's all. If you read the rest of my posts, you'll see that in context I think he could be pretty good given time.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Brian Lashoff could be a 3rd pairing, 2nd PK defenceman at next season.

And at year 2023, Brian Lashoff could still be that same 3rd pair PK defenceman for Wings. And there's nothing wrong at that.

There are Ken Daneyko's and Matt Greene's in this league. Have always been, and will always be.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
From what I have learned from this forum:

If we signed ANY of our current D-men to longer contracts.

Everyone would **** a brick because they "suck"

oh except for White, because he is RH'ed and thats the most important thing in the world LOL.

P.S. Lashoff 3-yr 725K contract may or may not be here in 3 years. But lets just say it gives them options, AND keeps him cheap IF he gets good. If not, then ah well, we only wasted some money, which Detroit has plenty of.

Basically this deal changes nothing really.
(Good for Lashoff though, he just made sure he is a millionaire) if he doesn't get another contract ever. well played sir.

P.S. He clearly owes Babcock a dinner for his playing time.

Aug 6, 2012
From what I have learned from this forum:

If we signed ANY of our current D-men to longer contracts.

Everyone would **** a brick because they "suck"

oh except for White, because he is RH'ed and thats the most important thing in the world LOL.

P.S. Lashoff 3-yr 725K contract may or may not be here in 3 years. But lets just say it gives them options, AND keeps him cheap IF he gets good. If not, then ah well, we only wasted some money, which Detroit has plenty of.

Basically this deal changes nothing really.
(Good for Lashoff though, he just made sure he is a millionaire) if he doesn't get another contract ever. well played sir.

P.S. He clearly owes Babcock a dinner for his playing time.

Yeah because everyone is really crying about the Lashoff deal... :facepalm:

If you read the thread other than maybe one poster everyone is fine with the signing. Its more of a discussion of how good of a player he is or will be.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage

If you read the thread other than maybe one poster everyone is fine with the signing. Its more of a discussion of how good of a player he is or will be.

Yep, it's like using Jan Mursak to indict the Red Wings for poor player development. :laugh:

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON

mmm maybe its just one guy or two guys with 15 posts :P

RedWingsNow*

But he plays with an edge and he should only get better. I don't think it's inconceivable he could grow into a nice player that could grind out good PK minutes and make life hell for players in front of the net. He's got learning to do and he's not there yet, but hey, defenders take time. Even #1 pick Erik Johnson is still putting it together after 300 NHL games.

Ericsson sure has come a long way. I think they see a guy like that in the making. Expect growing pains. :laugh:

I get that.
But I don't think he's a fringe player.
Huskins is a fringe player. Maybe Kindl is a fringe player.

Lashoff is an AHLer. His "edge" is dull.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
I get that.
But I don't think he's a fringe player.
Huskins is a fringe player. Maybe Kindl is a fringe player.

Lashoff is an AHLer. His "edge" is dull.

Lashoff and Huskins are probably not so far apart that we need to worry about this stuff.

For me this is all "Dr.Strangeholland or How I Learned To Stop Worrying and Love A Crap Team"

RedWingsNow*

He's 22 years old and has played 15 games, what the hell are you expecting? We've seen over 100 games of Kindl and people are still treating him for what he could be, not what he actually is. Seriously, you're saying after 15 games, this team is going no where with him on it, how is that rational at all?

I don't even know what kind of future he has, but I sure as hell am not making up my mind on a 22 year old kid, after 15 games in a shortened season with no training camp on the weakest Red Wings team in 20 + years. I mean really, people want the kids to get a chance, but apparently they get 15 games before being deemed completely worthless.

My god. Calm the **** down.

I am not saying Lashoff won't be a third pairing defenseman one day. I am saying he is not good enough now.

I'd prefer we finally give a kid with talent (Kindl) a chance than waste our time with a guy who MIGHT be a defensive defenseman if he turns up his intensity and learns positioning.

I deem him worthless right now.

Of all the ****ing "kids" to give a primetime role ... Kindl, Nyquist, Tatar, Mursak, Emmerton -- we give it to someone who has no business in the NHL.

And guess what. Lashoff's stats demonstrate my point quite clearly.

RedWingsNow*

Lashoff and Huskins are probably not so far apart that we need to worry about this stuff.

For me this is all "Dr.Strangeholland or How I Learned To Stop Worrying and Love A Crap Team"

Huskins can't skate or pass. But when he leans on a guy, he leans on him like a stay-at-home defenseman. when he hits a guy, he hits with some force.

RedWingsNow*

I'm just glad to see this little ministreak has reinvigorated the apologist crowd. I was getting worried for their safety

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
I'm just glad to see this little ministreak has reinvigorated the apologist crowd. I was getting worried for their safety

So who is being apologist in this thread?

People are saying to give Lashoff time. Nobody is apologizing for him.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
So Bob has an irrational dislike for Lashoff. Shocking.

Hey, Kindl might still turn into something though!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad