Post-Game Talk: Wings def. Canucks 3-2 (SO) (Pettersson, Hutton)

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Helm still has decent speed, but he has definitely lost a step from a few years ago. He used to be a single man wrecking ball during PK's just a few years ago, but Wing's fans haven't seen those types of shifts from him in a few years. Ever since he was given a contract extension and big raise, he thinks he's more of a top 6 winger than a bottom 6 winger and no longer plays as aggressive. He's had a lot of injuries over the years too, so that is also a part of it.

He's thought of as a defensive forward because mainly because he has no offense first and foremost. I'm not exactly sure what Helm was thinking in that particular situation. It looked like he was anticipating an offensive break out/rush up the ice, rather than going on defense there. Regardless, he took a weird tack to the puck that allowed EP to just walk right back into the zone. I think that play was more due to bad positioning from Helm more so than a great play by EP.

Gonna have to agree with this on that particular play. Where was helm even going?

Curmudgeon

Aug 18, 2018
Better team on the night won and really only very good goaltending got us anything out of this game. One the sloppier efforts in their own zone

Good

Markstrom - second best to Howard in the shoot out (didn't give the Canucks a sniff) but real good bounce back after giving up 6 goals

Tanev - only defense man we've got who can pull away from a checker and get space to make the easy play.

Pettersson - shift I liked best was after a sustained period when Detroit took over the game, he made a determined rush to get the puck up ice and create a chance. Guy processes the game so fast and so well.

Goldobin - ok he needs to start burying chances but he did a very good job in this game of holding up the play and then creating chances for his linemates and the defense. Not his fault that the defensemen are so offensively limited. Goldobin is vastly improved over last season when he was so easily dismissed out of the play. Also, much more at game speed. Biggest thing Goldobin did in this game was to expose just how limited the defense is, in producing offense.

Not So Good

Stecher - just not getting much of anything done. Puck comes back to him at the point and he does nothing with it. (and at this point you know nothing is going to happen) Can't create any space to make a play and mainly just dumps puck into corner. Hustle is there but he is generally scrambling in his end and just trying to get puck out. You like his pluck but right now not producing much of anything and just hanging in on the defense. Not sure Biega isn't better.

Pouliot - want to cover your eyes when he is bring the puck up the ice on the PP or the run of the play. So slow and so easy to read. Prone to real gaffes that lead to chances and backs in on most every rush.

Virtanen - one of those games where he looks lost. Couldn't keep spacing with line mates and not in sync with teammates. Kept forcing pucks back to the point and getting pass picked off. Often seems like Virtanen just does things without really looking whose where. Didn't seem to have clue where to go in the OT.

Granlund - just so much meh. Has to provide a little more positive than this. Thing is that he is so little in the play that you don't see him making huge mistakes so you just tend to forget he is playing. But he had chances to do something and never did. You have to bring more to the table than he does.

Others

Liepcis - played a more disciplined game and kept it simple. Wasn't a major disaster but when you are relying on him for some offense you are in trouble.

Eriksson - so many chances to produce something and couldn't. Plays better with Pettersson but looks like his goal scoring ability has totally dried up.

Gaudette - he is starting to show much better. He got around the ice very well (in fact his speed was noticeable) . Competes hard when he gets to the puck and was looking to set people up. (although he needs considerable for finesse here). Looks promising although I think we will have to wait some time to see him really break out.

Motte - played hard every shift and got into the middle of the play. One result was that he seemed to play much more than he actually did. Too bad he doesn't have more touch and a better shot as he was getting himself chances. Generally a positive.

Agree on all of this. Would add that I thought Gudbranson had a good game but not sure if it's just my low expectations factoring in along with Del Zotto, Stecher, and Pouliot not looking so good or he actually was solid. I'll take that game from him any time.

With Liepsic, his only value to the team is on offense, defensively he's terrible, and he's blowing his opportunity here. If Boeser's groin is really of concern I'd rather sit him for a week or two and bring Dahlen up to play with Pettersson and Goldobin, pushing Eriksson back down the lineup where he should be. They need goals and I don't care how Dahlen has looked in Utica, I'd be throwing him into the fire and see if his chemistry with Pettersson can result in a few.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
I preferred to have EP get a multiple point game against a terrible team like this, but the fact that he got a point atleast is satisfactory. Especially when it's a goal and his regular linemate is out.
I’m pleased that EP produced a satisfactory result for you.

Reactions: pettersson

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
I'm off the fire Benning train if he can sign us a Panarin or Stone this summer, as long as the cap hit isn't astronomical. I never wanna see a wasted flubbed chance off a Pettersson feed everrrr again
I don't trust him to make those deals at all. Though both have merit to being great additions to the team. The other option I'd look into would be guys on shorter term deals like Hagelin or Maroon. Either can get in on the forecheck and have puck retrieval for EP while Brock can just get open for his passes.
Pettersson with Mark Stone, would be fantastic.
I think he'd work better with Bo personally but you probably can't go wrong either way.
Pouliot somehow still gets to dress every night and that I will never understand.
Not only that but he had the most ice time of any player last night which is ridiculous because he is terrible. Hughes can't get here fast enough so we can let this guy go.
With Liepsic, his only value to the team is on offense, defensively he's terrible, and he's blowing his opportunity here. If Boeser's groin is really of concern I'd rather sit him for a week or two and bring Dahlen up to play with Pettersson and Goldobin, pushing Eriksson back down the lineup where he should be. They need goals and I don't care how Dahlen has looked in Utica, I'd be throwing him into the fire and see if his chemistry with Pettersson can result in a few.
Leipsic has played himself off the team when we are healthy IMO. He just doesn't have a real role here. He's tries to do to much since his offensive chops aren't there in the top 6 and he's not physical or defensively smart enough for bottom 6. When we are healthy I hope to see something like this:

Goldobin-EP40-Boeser
Bae-Horvat-Virtanen
Rousell-Sutter-Eriksson
Granlund-Beagle-Motte
Schaller

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I can see Leipsic on waivers eventually, to be replaced by someone like Boucher, MacEwen or even Jasek from Utica. And they need to find another winger for Pettersson who can actually finish some of his sweet feeds. Goldy hasn't scored since the opening night of the season.

Reactions: Nomobo

Wo Yorfat

dumb person
Nov 7, 2016
You tell us, crook. How could you goad @WTG into such depravity?
upload_2018-11-7_14-42-35.gif

Reactions: daddyohsix and WTG

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
As soon as he’s healthy, we should bring up Boucher and play him on Pettersson’s wing.
Totally on board with this. I know the knock on Boucher has been his skating. But all he has to do is skate into the offensive zone with his stick on the ice and Pettersson will find him. And with that sniping ability, he might finally stick as an NHL player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad