Wings close to deal with David Pope

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Is this just DDK only a forward, who will get a 5 mil per year deal in a couple season, for some reason??? Still don't know what was ever considered to be so good about DDK, I truly never saw anything special in him, and always thought of him as a well below average big guy who skates pretty well.

You lock up 25-year old, top 4 defensemen. It was a risky contract, sometimes they work out, sometimes they don't. Either way, the Red Wings were paying the price. I think DDK will bounce back, especially as they improve the defense with younger puck movers.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
barring trade or injury probably really low

he's probably like 15th-16th in the pecking order for a spot on the Wings right now behind Larkin/Zetterberg/Mantha/Nyquist/Abdelkader/Athanasiou/Nielsen/Helm/Frk/Bertuzzi/Glendening/Witkowski/Rasmussen/Svechnikov/possibly Turgeon

not to say he can't get a shot later on but making the team out of camp looks to be an extreme long-shot at best at the moment
Wouldn’t be shocked to see some changes this summer. I also think Frk and Witkowski are complete non-factors that don’t really have a position in the pecking order.

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
Players are promised playing time all the time to get them to sign, especially college free agents, so it wouldn't be surprising if they made that promise. They did it with DDK!

Sure they can be promised whatever by the Wings. That promise can't be written into a contract though. It would be a verbal thing.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
He'll start in GR and with some luck (or injuries) he'll probably get a few games in with the Red Wings as a bottom-6 winger. Seeing all the UFAs in GR, he's assured a spot there, at the least.

Interesting tidbit, he's signed for 925K, which is the same as Cholowski and Rasmussen, which means the Red Wings' might have had some pressure from the outside (someone else wanting to sign him). Pure speculation on my part, though.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Interesting tidbit, he's signed for 925K, which is the same as Cholowski and Rasmussen, which means the Red Wings' might have had some pressure from the outside (someone else wanting to sign him). Pure speculation on my part, though.

I think the $925k usually isn't uncommon when the contract is going to a college UFA or a drafted outgoing college junior or senior.

The real indicator of competition is probably the $1,025,000 in performance bonuses attached to the deal ($425k for 18-19 and $600k for 19-20).

Wouldn’t be shocked to see some changes this summer. I also think Frk and Witkowski are complete non-factors that don’t really have a position in the pecking order.

Frk and Witkowski are probably penciled in for next season as the #13 and #14 forwards (and #8 dman for Witkowski) and probably sit in the pressbox when everyone is healthy. I would imagine that while they still can, the team would rather have guys like Turgeon/Pope/etc. playing every game in GR rather than sitting in the pressbox.

I have to imagine that if Pope has an NHL future, his path to it will be a short one. He'll be 24YO at the start of the regular season, has only 2 years and/or 60 NHL games before he has to hit waivers, and will be two years away from UFA eligibility when his ELC expires.

That said, I think unless he has some spectacular camp/pre-season and/or the Wings have some injuries up front, Pope probably at the very least starts next season in GR.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I have to imagine that if Pope has an NHL future, his path to it will be a short one. He'll be 24YO at the start of the regular season, has only 2 years and/or 60 NHL games before he has to hit waivers, and will be two years away from UFA eligibility when his ELC expires.

That said, I think unless he has some spectacular camp/pre-season and/or the Wings have some injuries up front, Pope probably at the very least starts next season in GR.

It's a tired method that the Red Wings employ; where every young player has to fight and earn a spot in the NHL even though they are already probably ready to take the step. The encouraging thing this year is that there should be some spots up for grabs and there likely won't be competition between youth and vets unlike the past. If Pope doesn't earn a spot on the roster, that means he's likely being beat by Frk/Rasmussen/Svechnikov, not Alfie/Legwand/Booth, and that's fantastic news for fans.

I do think we might see an attempt to break in Ras for most of the year and see an effort at the mid way point to clear out some players like Nyquist/Glendening in order to force spots for the rest of the young guys, including Pope, ready to step up. Maybe we see a hockey trade using some of the NHL ready guys to bring back similar aged defensive help and also clear out the glut of forwards we have currently stuck in purgatory.

There are a lot of ways that Kenny can play this offseason and upcoming season, but I can't see a way that Pope would ever sign with Detroit if he didn't get a strong indication that he was going to get a legitimate opportunity at the NHL level in the near future. He could've picked his destination this FA period, and he doesn't seem to have any ties to the area; he could've gone to his hometown of Edmonton, who could use some scoring wingers, if he wanted to, but he chose to sign in Detroit. That to me says they have something in mind for him very soon.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
It's a tired method that the Red Wings employ; where every young player has to fight and earn a spot in the NHL even though they are already probably ready to take the step. The encouraging thing this year is that there should be some spots up for grabs and there likely won't be competition between youth and vets unlike the past. If Pope doesn't earn a spot on the roster, that means he's likely being beat by Frk/Rasmussen/Svechnikov, not Alfie/Legwand/Booth, and that's fantastic news for fans.

I do think we might see an attempt to break in Ras for most of the year and see an effort at the mid way point to clear out some players like Nyquist/Glendening in order to force spots for the rest of the young guys, including Pope, ready to step up. Maybe we see a hockey trade using some of the NHL ready guys to bring back similar aged defensive help and also clear out the glut of forwards we have currently stuck in purgatory.

There are a lot of ways that Kenny can play this offseason and upcoming season, but I can't see a way that Pope would ever sign with Detroit if he didn't get a strong indication that he was going to get a legitimate opportunity at the NHL level in the near future. He could've picked his destination this FA period, and he doesn't seem to have any ties to the area; he could've gone to his hometown of Edmonton, who could use some scoring wingers, if he wanted to, but he chose to sign in Detroit. That to me says they have something in mind for him very soon.

That's why I said "start" and not "they'll bury him in GR for two years and make him the #13 forward for 20/21" . The Red Wings still have the spots open from Tatar and Booth, but it sounds like those are going to Rasmussen and Svechnikov. I mean maybe AA is gone this summer and Nyquist probably goes at the trade deadline, opening up more. Pope probably ends up at the top of the list for call ups when they need a winger, and Turgeon will be at the top of the list for C.

But it's also my opinion that it's a bit pre-mature to start whining about how the "tired method" (the one that put a 19 year old Larkin on the big club and has basically indicated they'll do the same with Rasmussen, and kept up an underperformning Jurco when he could've gone back to GR without waivers, etc) has misused poor David Pope before he's even skated in an NHL pre-season game, or know what the roster looks like going into camp. It is entirely possible that the guy might need a small bit of AHL experience to get acclimated to the pro game.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Keep the winger depth coming. We should be exploring these NCAA winger options even if they aren’t our own. Nyquist should be at the top of the to-do list in terms of trades, AA should be also if he continues to be something of a problem within the organization (as long as were committed to showcasing him in a way that maximizes his value), Svech should be in the same boat there as well if Carolina or whoever drafts the younger Svech wants to add him at some point to endear the younger to their org and whatever futures we get in return should be converted to center and defense options. Maybe even a goalie with potential.

Wingers continue to be the most easily attainable assets in this league, youth or veterans, so we should prioritize shipping them out as long as the plan is to be hyper-focused on the positions that are truly going to form a new nucleus for a strong organization. We have the time to experiment with guys like Pope over the next couple years. Plenty of time to find some hidden gems at that position without using our high picks to do so.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
That's why I said "start" and not "they'll bury him in GR for two years and make him the #13 forward for 20/21" . The Red Wings still have the spots open from Tatar and Booth, but it sounds like those are going to Rasmussen and Svechnikov. I mean maybe AA is gone this summer and Nyquist probably goes at the trade deadline, opening up more. Pope probably ends up at the top of the list for call ups when they need a winger, and Turgeon will be at the top of the list for C.

But it's also my opinion that it's a bit pre-mature to start whining about how the "tired method" (the one that put a 19 year old Larkin on the big club and has basically indicated they'll do the same with Rasmussen, and kept up an underperformning Jurco when he could've gone back to GR without waivers, etc) has misused poor David Pope before he's even skated in an NHL pre-season game, or know what the roster looks like going into camp. It is entirely possible that the guy might need a small bit of AHL experience to get acclimated to the pro game.

I think you took my post the wrong way, I was just building off of your point about his path to the NHL being a short one. I apologize if it came off as a slight against your post.

Larkin earned his spot the same way that Nyquist and Tatar and Mantha and Athanasiou all earned theirs, and the same way that Rasmussen, Svechnikov, and Pope will earn theirs. I'm just pointing to the fact that it's significantly more encouraging going into camp this year knowing that the competition is going to reveal the young player who proves himself most ready to take the next step. We are going to see the best of our young players earning their spots and get to take a huge step forward in the maturation process without even a hint of the possibility of being passed over due to experience. We are getting to the point where our prospects are getting adequate preparation and getting promoted rather than the aforementioned "tired method"

Reactions: ShelbyZ

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
I think you took my post the wrong way, I was just building off of your point about his path to the NHL being a short one. I apologize if it came off as a slight against your post.

Larkin earned his spot the same way that Nyquist and Tatar and Mantha and Athanasiou all earned theirs, and the same way that Rasmussen, Svechnikov, and Pope will earn theirs. I'm just pointing to the fact that it's significantly more encouraging going into camp this year knowing that the competition is going to reveal the young player who proves himself most ready to take the next step. We are going to see the best of our young players earning their spots and get to take a huge step forward in the maturation process without even a hint of the possibility of being passed over due to experience. We are getting to the point where our prospects are getting adequate preparation and getting promoted rather than the aforementioned "tired method"

And I apologize for taking it the wrong way and looking snippy. :headache:

In the same vein, I'm hoping that having some flexibility allows for a surprise or two in camp. Like an off the radar mid round pick making a big push for a spot on their ATO...

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
Signed for a 2-year deal.

925k per year (NHL minimum).

I think he will jump in straight on (on the spot of Booth etc.). These college players usually are physically ready, or if you aren't at 23-year old, something is totally wrong.

Wings get growing bigger this summer, good. Pope is 6'3, Rasmussen 6'6.

I'd prefer us to be a skilled, fast-skating, big-sized team like Winnipeg in the future.
I agree with this sentiment. Size gets a bad rap these days because people instantly think of guys like Jonathan Ericsson or Justin Abdelkader who are overvalued for their size and truculence, but it's still valuable. Guys like Blake Wheeler or Patrik Laine who have size, speed, and skill are a rare breed, and the more you have, the better.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
And I apologize for taking it the wrong way and looking snippy. :headache:

In the same vein, I'm hoping that having some flexibility allows for a surprise or two in camp. Like an off the radar mid round pick making a big push for a spot on their ATO...

I think this year will be really interesting when you consider that our first two picks will probably get an extensive look in camp (depending who we pick), in addition, we have these guys already playing for a spot:
Frk
Svechnikov
Rasmussen
Pope
Tugeon
Hicketts
Cholowski
Hronek
Sulak

This preseason will probably be the most highly anticipated and scrutinized that this franchise may have ever experienced. This is such a pivotal point in the rebuild that we need to get right. There's a lot of talk about needing high picks and drafting elite talent, but I'd rather be surprised by some prospects we already have growing into stars. It's a long shot, but it would be preferential to having to wait to be bad in the right year.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Must... keep... the Frk legacy alive...

obey86

Jun 9, 2009

I hope that's not true with Frk. I thought he did a good job last year on the 3rd and 4th lines.

Reactions: Frk It

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I hope that's not true with Frk. I thought he did a good job last year on the 3rd and 4th lines.
He did okay. Spoonfed quality PP time as a shooter and got 11 goals. Glendening had as many goals with zero PP time. A guy like Frk is exactly where we can try to make a major improvement on our roster fairly easily.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Wouldnt be surprised if he played some games next year, or is a total AHL career guy. I have no expectations. He had really good numbers as a senior (promising enough to give hope) but most prospects that are solid are gone before their senior year so its hard to gauge what to expect from him.

Complete wildcard imo

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
He did okay. Spoonfed quality PP time as a shooter and got 11 goals. Glendening had as many goals with zero PP time. A guy like Frk is exactly where we can try to make a major improvement on our roster fairly easily.
I'd rather have Svechnikov in his spot (if Svech earns it, obviously) because Svech is less one dimensional and has higher upside. I have nothing against Frk, he did good, but he's nothing special and isn't a major piece for the future.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->