GDT: Wings @ cats 5:00 pm et 3/10/19

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
There are players that in their first NHL score hatricks. Does that make them 246 goal scorers? You aren't a 25 goal scorer until you score 25. He has the potential to score 25 goal scorer, but isn't one yet. I've defended him a lot on here, because I think some ****ty injuries have held him back, but, he is also is own worst enemy, and his own biggest obstacle.

I won’t argue the validity of the isolated use of pace, but when delivered with context, it absolutely carries weight.

If he never plays 82 games in a season at this rate, he may never become a 25 scorer by definition, but if he puts up 13 goals in 41 games, in those 41 games he’s playing like a “25 goal scorer” which is how we like to categorize players.

It’s an argument on semantics that is honestly pointless. He’s a 24 goal scorer. Now we can all move on with our days.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
I won’t argue the validity of the isolated use of pace, but when delivered with context, it absolutely carries weight.

If he never plays 82 games in a season at this rate, he may never become a 25 scorer by definition, but if he puts up 13 goals in 41 games, in those 41 games he’s playing like a “25 goal scorer” which is how we like to categorize players.

It’s an argument on semantics that is honestly pointless. He’s a 24 goal scorer. Now we can all move on with our days.

And we all know 24 goal scorers are a dime a dozen :sarcasm:

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
The difference is I have numbers to support my argument whereas you have a petty approach to a debate even after being shown where he has maintained a level of performance for almost 200 games in the NHL that would averages out to 24.5 goals per season.

What have, or rather what you don’t have, is anything that resembles talent. But go ahead and keep trying to argue a failed point.

Lol sure thing

Pace is what matters to you, I get it.

In your view nobody has to actually accomplish a feat so long as they were on projection, pace, to have.

Its adorable

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Lol sure thing

Pace is what matters to you, I get it.

In your view nobody has to actually accomplish a feat so long as they were on projection, pace, to have.

Its adorable

100% I’ll take someone on pace for 25 goals in 82 games playing 60-70 games due to injury over someone playing all 82 and scoring 15.

Because I want the better player. That’s all I have to say about that. I hope your day is better than your comprehension skills.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
100% I’ll take someone on pace for 25 goals in 82 games playing 60-70 games due to injury over someone playing all 82 and scoring 15.

Because I want the better player. That’s all I have to say about that. I hope your day is better than your comprehension skills.

Who said anything about not wanting the guy who has and does score 20 goals over a guy who scores 15?

My comprehension skills are just fine. I said who decides what the metrics to establish pace are? Is it 200 games over 3 seasons, 250 over 5, a 5 game sample in 1 season, a 40?

You can project stats however you want over whatever period of time to prove your point or argue your POV.

I simply said, you have not scored 25 goals until such time as you score 25 goals, and you're not a 25 goal scorer until such time as you have repeated that act.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I'd like to believe that the fluke hand injury stemming from the first fight would have made fighting a thing of the past, but he really proved me wrong on that one. Can only hope that he just doesn't fight anymore.
OK, but his inconsistent effort has also resulted in repeated absences from the lineup. If that aspect is still an issue next year, why wouldn't he continue to be an occasional scratch, and thus continue to have fewer games to accrue those 25 goals?

I'm not at all of the mindset to dump Mantha at any cost. But I don't see enough evidence to believe he will take another big step, either.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Who said anything about not wanting the guy who has and does score 20 goals over a guy who scores 15?

My comprehension skills are just fine. I said who decides what the metrics to establish pace are? Is it 200 games over 3 seasons, 250 over 5, a 5 game sample in 1 season, a 40?

You can project stats however you want over whatever period of time to prove your point or argue your POV.

I simply said, you have not scored 25 goals until such time as you score 25 goals, and you're not a 25 goal scorer until such time as you have repeated that act.

And I’m saying if you put together multiple years averaging 25 or 24, whichever is going to bother you less, then that’s what you are.

I wasn’t calling Mantha a 25 goal scorer after he put up 17 in 60. But when he has maintained the level of production for 80 games the next year, and has maintained the level of production through 54 games this year, I can comfortably cast him as 25 goal scorer that fits into the top 6. Until he shows that he isn’t capable of maintaining his performance, he is what his numbers say he is. But we obviously have a fundamental disagreement that is never going to resolve itself.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
OK, but his inconsistent effort has also resulted in repeated absences from the lineup. If that aspect is still an issue next year, why wouldn't he continue to be an occasional scratch, and thus continue to have fewer games to accrue those 25 goals?

I'm not at all of the mindset to dump Mantha at any cost. But I don't see enough evidence to believe he will take another big step, either.

Just to be quick on this point, Mantha really hasn’t been benched for his play in over a year. He’s probably on the list of top 5 most important forwards for this team this year, which is not to say he’s special, but just to say that he’s likely not going to be scratched.

I don’t see healthy scratch being anything he will have recurring issues with as we move along. As long as he’s healthy he will likely be playing.

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI

Sweet! Abby is a 23 goal scorer!

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
And for all this hope of Mantha becoming an important piece going forward... and important piece of what? A Cup run? Ha! When the going gets tough and you need someone to dig deep and muscle the puck just a few more inches, Mantha is who comes to mind :thumbu:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->