Proposal: Wings - Caps Offseason blockbuster

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Don't think we should be acquiring a good goalie until we're done rebuilding, like what the Leafs did.
Toronto acquired Andersen after they finished dead last in the league. I'm not saying we're going to bounce up the standings the way they did, but waiting for some moment in time when the "rebuild is done" might not be as smart as actually making moves that could help the rebuild get done. Acquiring a guy like Grubauer would also solidify the goalie position enough to make sure we don't have to spend precious picks on goalies for a little while.
This is absolutely disgusting for Detroit, it's an easy past.

If you want us to take Orpik expect to be taking on either Kronwall or Ericsson
Orpik would be a cap dump that we could retain like 50% salary on and move elsewhere.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Toronto acquired Andersen after they finished dead last in the league. I'm not saying we're going to bounce up the standings the way they did, but waiting for some moment in time when the "rebuild is done" might not be as smart as actually making moves that could help the rebuild get done. Acquiring a guy like Grubauer would also solidify the goalie position enough to make sure we don't have to spend precious picks on goalies for a little while.

Orpik would be a cap dump that we could retain like 50% salary on and move elsewhere.

Leafs were also ready to add three of the top NHL prospects up front and an expected top 4 in Zaitsev. I don't think Detroit currently has that kind of talent to add to their roster, but I also don't know when another goalie as good as Grubauer might become available again so probably wouldn't be a bad move

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
I can appreciate the Wings getting help for their goalie via trade - there's no UFA that can help this team right now in terms of youth or potential. I do also think that AA will be gone this summer (maybe a sign and deal?). Grubauer would be at the top of my list too. Plus, with the defence logjam on Detroit's end, there's no point on acquiring any more D, even it's a lateral move at best. It could be simplified that the deal would be :

Athanasiou + Nyqvist for Grubauer + 2nd.

Wow that is so gross for Detroit.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I would argue with the description of this as a blockbuster. I could see Burakovsky and Grubauer being available in a trade. They are both young enough for a rebuilding team to take advantage of. The main issue that I see is the Caps need is for a top 4 left shooting defenseman to pair with Carlson....assuming he stays. Daley isn't the guy.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I would argue with the description of this as a blockbuster. I could see Burakovsky and Grubauer being available in a trade. They are both young enough for a rebuilding team to take advantage of. The main issue that I see is the Caps need is for a top 4 left shooting defenseman to pair with Carlson....assuming he stays. Daley isn't the guy.

You seem to be lower on Djoos than most. I'd like to see Djoos given full time duties with Carlson next year. They also have Lucas Johansen. I'm not a fan of spending assets on a 2LD.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
You seem to be lower on Djoos than most. I'd like to see Djoos given full time duties with Carlson next year. They also have Lucas Johansen. I'm not a fan of spending assets on a 2LD.

I understand that. I think that Carlson will perform better with a stable, reliable partner. I would rather see Djoos get a solid season skating on the 3rd pair. I am not at all down on him. I just recognize that defensemen take time to develop and that Djoos isn't a top 4 d on a competitive team.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Leafs were also ready to add three of the top NHL prospects up front and an expected top 4 in Zaitsev. I don't think Detroit currently has that kind of talent to add to their roster, but I also don't know when another goalie as good as Grubauer might become available again so probably wouldn't be a bad move
They might add two top 9 picks + Hronek/Cholowski, not earth-shattering but you also can’t sit and wait for the roster to miss the playoffs only due to bad goaltending before addressing the position. Grubauer would be a proactive addition for the future.

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
this is a blockbuster? seems like just a multiplayer deal to me

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->