Proposal: Wings - Caps Offseason blockbuster

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
So, assuming the Caps are out in the 1st or 2nd round yet again this year, they really need to start shaking things up.
I can't see them blowing up the roster with Kuznetsov, Backstrom, Ovechkin, Oshie, Niskanen and Carlson still essentially in their prime. But they need to heavily re-tool around these players.
At the same time, the Red Wings are deep in a rebuild and are sitting on a lot of solid depth players that don't help them much right now but have experience from winning years and could bring some of that experience to Washington.

I think these two teams could be great trading partners in the summer.

:wings
Gustav Nyquist
Andreas Athanasiou (RFA rights)
Trevor Daley

:caps
Philipp Grubauer (RFA rights)
Andre Burakovsky
Brooks Orpik + 2nd round pick

The thinking here is that Washington can't afford spending ~10 million on their goaltending and would rather have a scorer like Nyquist to help them out next season and trust that Holtby bounces back. Wings need a backup for Howard next season and someone to take over after that.
Athanasiou/Burakovsky is obvious; both seem to need a change of scenery.
Daley is a veteran of 2 cup runs with Pittsburgh and would look great as a depth D on Washington's blueline, Detroit takes Orpik to clear up some salary for Washington.

Thoughts?

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
The value here is probably fine but it's really just a shuffling of deck chairs for Wsh for which I don't see the incentive. It could be argued that losing. Orpik is a bit of a culture change but I think that's insignificant compared to other possible candidates. I also think the Caps would rather just distill this down to either: Orpik/2nd/Burakovsky for Athanasiou/Daley or Grubauer for something but I don't think that something would be Nyquist. I think if the Caps trade Grubauer they need to aim for futures.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Take out Trevor Daley. Caps don't need him or that cap hit. Ideally I'd like to see Burakovsky perform under a new coach before jettisoning him but I'd do this.
I think Wings would want to move one of Dekeyser/Ericsson/Daley/Kronwall if they were to take back Orpik, out of those I would guess Daley would be the most useful and easiest to fit under the cap for Washington.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
I like this trade and i might do it if there were any hope of current Caps roster or the roster after this trade in winning the Cup, but there really isn't. This makes them slightly better but it's not nearly enough.

Any of those players could be traded but the need future assets in return.

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
I think we need to see some injection of youth on D before we start figuring out a goalie of the future. Every one of our current D is over 25, excep XO, whose been used sparingly and on and off the trade block for awhile now.

Also like to see Grubauer put a couple good playoff games together before taking a swing at him.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
I like this trade and i might do it if there were any hope of current Caps roster or the roster after this trade in winning the Cup, but there really isn't. This makes them slightly better but it's not nearly enough.

This is basically where I'm at too. The last thing we should do is try to extend the window at the expense of taking on anything beyond short-term vets and basically nothing at the expense of youth or high picks.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
I can appreciate the Wings getting help for their goalie via trade - there's no UFA that can help this team right now in terms of youth or potential. I do also think that AA will be gone this summer (maybe a sign and deal?). Grubauer would be at the top of my list too. Plus, with the defence logjam on Detroit's end, there's no point on acquiring any more D, even it's a lateral move at best. It could be simplified that the deal would be :

Athanasiou + Nyqvist for Grubauer + 2nd.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
I can appreciate the Wings getting help for their goalie via trade - there's no UFA that can help this team right now in terms of youth or potential. I do also think that AA will be gone this summer (maybe a sign and deal?). Grubauer would be at the top of my list too. Plus, with the defence logjam on Detroit's end, there's no point on acquiring any more D, even it's a lateral move at best. It could be simplified that the deal would be :

The Caps likely do that, unless the Wings are pushing AA out I'm not sure they do it.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013

Salary cap.

Even if Carlson walks and they could hypothetically do that, they are going to need cap space to replace him, rather than spending that much cap on forwards.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
I don't like it at all. Trading established forwards for a goalie for a rebuilding team makes no sense to me. By the time the Wings MIGHT get good again, Grubauer will be in his 30's. The Wings problem was never bad goaltending. One of Mrazek or Howard was a very competent goalie at one point or another. It was the rest of the team that was disappointing. Also, even if Daley waives his NTC, I would like to see the Wings get younger on defense by opening up spots for the youngsters coming up. Would rather the Wings trade those forwards for defense or picks.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
Aside from the AA/Burakovsky bit, I don't see any upside for the Wings. Hard pass.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
As a Wings fan I'd rather just trade Nyquist for futures. The same with AA if we decide to move him. There's no need to address our goaltending until we've rebuilt the rest of the team.

Reactions: ManwithNoIdentity

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I think we need to see some injection of youth on D before we start figuring out a goalie of the future. Every one of our current D is over 25, excep XO, whose been used sparingly and on and off the trade block for awhile now.

Also like to see Grubauer put a couple good playoff games together before taking a swing at him.
The idea would be that Orpik would mainly be a cap dump so this would open up Daley’s spot for a youngster.

I don't like it at all. Trading established forwards for a goalie for a rebuilding team makes no sense to me. By the time the Wings MIGHT get good again, Grubauer will be in his 30's.
30s is pretty young for a goalie. Grubauer would at least be a competent stopgap until Larsson/Petruzzeli is ready.

Aside from the AA/Burakovsky bit, I don't see any upside for the Wings. Hard pass.
The upside I see :

- Open up Daley’s spot for a young D (Orpik can be #7-8, and/or moved elsewhere since we can retain salary)
- Give us a goaltender so we don’t need to re-sign Howard (and potentially allows us to trade Howard at the TDL as well)
- Acquire Burakovsky who has high potential just like AA without the baggage

I don’t see Caps trading simply for future assets yet. It would be a bold move. I’d like to see them try a more aggressive re-tool before they go into a legit rebuild.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON

Hutton is a UFA so yah there is actually someone that could help.

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI

Yeah that would definitely be an improvement although I think Holland is set on resigning Nyquist

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Daley isn't waiving after one one season in Detroit, Maybe Daley at the 2019 TDL same with Nyquist he's Z's guy no way Gus is dealt this summer only at the 2019 TDL AA not sure what's going to happen to him this summer.

Big Ed

~
Feb 5, 2011
Don't think we should be acquiring a good goalie until we're done rebuilding, like what the Leafs did.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad