Pre-Game Talk: Wings @ Canucks, Wednesday at 10:30 (Franzen out with injury, Glendening Recalled)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Helene St. James ‏@HeleneStJames 3h
#RedWings going to Canada with just six healthy defensemen, will call someone up if needed after Wed. game at Vancouver.

I wish we'd get someone else in to at least attempt to fix the defense. We're giving up way too many shots as of late, which is a huge part of our woes.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Heput himself in the not getting Nyquist up by signing Cleary for 1.75 million at the end of year. No cleary and we have Nyquist up

I'm not questioning he did it to himself, but so have a lot of other GMs this year. They've all done it to themselves with whatever moves they've made.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
He's willing to put Abdelkader and Cleary in the top 6. And he's willing to stack a top line with Hank-Datsyuk-Alfie for a game or two...But it hasn't occurred to him to move one of Weiss or Zetterberg to the wing and stack his top 6? If you want to take the "pressure" off of Weiss, why the hell wouldn't you see if putting him on the wing of a superstar center helps him out?

This coach...:shakehead

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Didn't even realize Franzen was hurt.

Injury to a top 6 winger and they still call up Glendening over Nyquist.

Pretty sure that yells you all you need to know about him playing this year.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
I'm not questioning he did it to himself, but so have a lot of other GMs this year. They've all done it to themselves with whatever moves they've made.

I don't think any other GMs had a clearly-ready 24 year old prospect in their system who had already proven himself at every level outside of the NHL, had shown he can compete in the NHL playoffs, has several things to offer that his team needs....and then went out of his way to add a sad sack to his team that literally no one else wanted, his own team didn't need, further bloating his roster and his salary cap.

SoupNazi

Feb 6, 2010
He's willing to put Abdelkader and Cleary in the top 6. And he's willing to stack a top line with Hank-Datsyuk-Alfie for a game or two...But it hasn't occurred to him to move one of Weiss or Zetterberg to the wing and stack his top 6? If you want to take the "pressure" off of Weiss, why the hell wouldn't you see if putting him on the wing of a superstar center helps him out?

I get the feeling that will happen eventually, but I doubt if it happens soon. And for that matter if Weiss starts producing to whatever standard Babcock has set for him, I doubt it happens at all.

sully6one

Unregistered User
Aug 6, 2011
Michigan
Didn't even realize Franzen was hurt.

Injury to a top 6 winger and they still call up Glendening over Nyquist.

Pretty sure that yells you all you need to know about him playing this year.

You really don't understand at all the business of managing a sports team do you? There's no real good options to trade away right now realistically. Give me a good trade that'd fix all problems related to salary and roster space.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I don't think any other GMs had a clearly-ready 24 year old prospect in their system who had already proven himself at every level outside of the NHL, had shown he can compete in the NHL playoffs, has several things to offer that his team needs....and then went out of his way to add a sad sack to his team that literally no one else wanted, his own team didn't need, further bloating his roster and his salary cap.

That was exactly my point. There isn't.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
You really don't understand at all the business of managing a sports team do you? There's no real good options to trade away right now realistically. Give me a good trade that'd fix all problems related to salary and roster space.

Trade Quincey for whatever you can get and waive Cleary.

Stop worrying about players feelings, or your pride, and manage a hockey team like you're supposed to.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Who has the cap space that would willingly take Quincey?

Why do we have so many players that are apparently completely undesirable to every other team?

Not really doing any favors for Holland's reputation as a good GM.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
Mule-Pav-Tatar
Nyquist-Z-Alfie
Bert-Weiss-Eaves
Abby-Helm-Tootoo
Miller
Glendening

waive Andersson, cleary, sammy

sully6one

Unregistered User
Aug 6, 2011
Michigan
Trade Quincey for whatever you can get and waive Cleary.

Stop worrying about players feelings, or your pride, and manage a hockey team like you're supposed to.

Cleary isn't going anywhere. You get rid of a defensemen (Quincey) now you roll with 3 inexperienced defensemen at all times, 4 right now with Ericsson out. This isn't a NHL 14, young players make mistakes no matter how good they look. Try again.

SoupNazi

Feb 6, 2010
Not going to happen when the coach likes Andersson and Cleary.

Cleary? Yeah, not happening.

Andersson? I'm not so sure - I can see him being forced out eventually due to a roster crunch.

sully6one

Unregistered User
Aug 6, 2011
Michigan
Cleary? Yeah, not happening.

Andersson? I'm not so sure - I can see him being forced out eventually due to a roster crunch.

Maybe next year after one year is burned on his contract. That'd be poor management if they signed him then the same year trade him.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Cleary isn't going anywhere. You get rid of a defensemen (Quincey) now you roll with 3 inexperienced defensemen at all times, 4 right now with Ericsson out. This isn't a NHL 14, young players make mistakes no matter how good they look. Try again.

So does Quincey, at this point I seriously would give Ouellet a huge chance at making fewer mistakes than Q. XO also has a good chance of actually have chemistry with at least one of the other guys on the backend we know KFQ has none with anybody.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Apparently you missed the last game, but Quincey makes just as many mistakes as rookies. Look at Kyle Quincey's numbers since he joined the team, and tell me there would even be a difference if Lashoff or anyone replaced him.

And Cleary isn't going anywhere, but he SHOULD be, which is my point. But we're more concerned with friendships than winning hockey games.

Chance on Chance

Jul 15, 2009
Canada

And signing guys like Sammy to 2 year 6 million dollar deals and then Cleary right before traing camp for 1.75 is the definition of managing a sports team?

SoupNazi

Feb 6, 2010
So does Quincey, at this point I seriously would give Ouellet a huge chance at making fewer mistakes than Q. XO also has a good chance of actually have chemistry with at least one of the other guys on the backend we know KFQ has none with anybody.

Honestly, I wonder who Quincey would have chemistry with? Nobody we've ever tried him with here seems to work out. It seems to just be a case of him not working in Babcock's system, plain and simple.

hyduK

Feb 21, 2009
fire babcock and let him focus on the olympic team.

promote blashill.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Honestly, I wonder who Quincey would have chemistry with? Nobody we've ever tried him with here seems to work out. It seems to just be a case of him not working in Babcock's system, plain and simple.

He actually looks decent with lashoff IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad