Player Discussion: Tyler Bertuzzi

Obe2kenobe

Mar 23, 2014
U.P.
his hockey IQ might be as good as sam reinharts :sarcasm:

Seriously though ive been hyped for him as a top 6er for a few years now. here are some quotes from 2016.

you've gotta remember this second quote was before brad marchand broke out and had a career year 85 pts.... before that he's been hovering in the 50-60 pt range. I still think Bertuzzi can be something like that.

To call Bertuzzi Brad Marchand 2.0 is a very unrealistic expectation. Marchand is one of the best all around players in the league IMO. He a good skater, pest, Pker, goal scorer.
While I don't think Bertuzzi will ever be in the elite company of a guy like Marchand. His most recent stint with the wings has changed my opinion of him. He definitely has some offensive skill and has good I.Q.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
To call Bertuzzi Brad Marchand 2.0 is a very unrealistic expectation. Marchand is one of the best all around players in the league IMO. He a good skater, pest, Pker, goal scorer.
While I don't think Bertuzzi will ever be in the elite company of a guy like Marchand. His most recent stint with the wings has changed my opinion of him. He definitely has some offensive skill and has good I.Q.
While I agree that Bertuzzi probably wont turn into Marchand, putting up over a point per game, I can pretty much guarantee nobody predicted Marchand would turn into Marchand either. Similar things were probably said about Marchand early in his career, and for years and years a "Marchand" type player was a pest that could put up 40 points. Even Marchand no longer fits the "Marchand type player" description.

...I guess what I'm trying to say is, it's hard to project a career arc.

And on another note, I think the most comparable player on the team right now to Bertuzzi is Zetterberg (Let him finish). I think his biggest assets so far are his hockey IQ to find space and make plays, and the ability to protect the puck. Aside from that he is well rounded though not great at anything else but good enough to make him all-around dangerous

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
While I agree that Bertuzzi probably wont turn into Marchand, putting up over a point per game, I can pretty much guarantee nobody predicted Marchand would turn into Marchand either. Similar things were probably said about Marchand early in his career, and for years and years a "Marchand" type player was a pest that could put up 40 points. Even Marchand no longer fits the "Marchand type player" description.

Yeah... would have liked to see these "predictions", when Marchand had 0+0 points in his rookie season in 20 games.

Brad Marchand was nothing special, just a regular middle6 pest Defensive forward, before he started getting hot in 2011 SC finals. There he was unstoppable. His scoring pace/60 was as Crosby's at regular season, on those finals.

Then, after that he was on a ~2nd line level for next 4 seasons. From season 2015-16, as 27-year old, he stepped to 1st line Elite level at first time after that 2011 SC final burst.

I know him very well, because I have owned him one keeper league after those 2011 playoffs and watched his career close since. Great late bloomer.

What comes to Bertuzzi, I don't think he will ever reach Marchand's level, because there's so big difference in their skating speed. Othervise, the player package is almost same. Bertuzzi will be a big playoff game hero, when we some day are a contender again.

Last edited:

turkleton85

Dec 12, 2017
It's cool to see him play well and produce, and play with greater vision than expected. Every Prospect that turns into something or looks good in the pros makes me endure the actual state of the wings with a much better feeling. Larkin, AA and bertuzzi have made good progress, alothough we thought it wasn't possible under blashhill. Mantha was already a good player last year but needs more consistency. Hronek plays very good fist year in the AHL, Svechnikov might slowly come back into the groove again. It's a good feeling to have good young players

Obe2kenobe

Mar 23, 2014
U.P.
Yeah... would have liked to see these "predictions", when Marchand had 0+0 points in his rookie season in 20 games.

Brad Marchand was nothing special, just a regular middle6 pest Defensive forward, before he started getting hot in 2011 SC finals. There he was unstoppable. His scoring pace/60 was as Crosby's at regular season, on those finals.

Then, after that he was on a ~2nd line level for next 4 seasons. From season 2015-16, as 27-year old, he stepped to 1st line Elite level at first time after that 2011 SC final burst.

I know him very well, because I have owned him one keeper league after those 2011 playoffs and watched his career close since. Great late bloomer.

What comes to Bertuzzi, I don't think he will ever reach Marchand's level, because there's so big difference in their skating speed. Othervise, the player package is almost same. Bertuzzi will be a big playoff game hero, when we some day are a contender again.

I don't really see the comparison to Marchand. Marchand is a little ball of hate like a Pat Verbeek type. I have yet to see any pestiness from Bertuzzi. Maybe Bert had that style of play in Jr. Or maybe he'll develop that when he gets more confidence and experience.
And as you said his skating speed isn't as good. Marchand's speed leads to goals where he is near the top of the league the last few years.
Bertuzzi's recent play is good to see. His passing and vision of the ice has exceeded my expectations. But to think he would ever approach Marchand's level is unrealistic IMO

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
It's easy to get overly excited about young players. Bert has impressed me beyond belief these past handful of games. I hope he keeps it up, but we all know we should keep our expectations tempered.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I don't really see the comparison to Marchand. Marchand is a little ball of hate like a Pat Verbeek type. I have yet to see any pestiness from Bertuzzi. Maybe Bert had that style of play in Jr. Or maybe he'll develop that when he gets more confidence and experience.
And as you said his skating speed isn't as good. Marchand's speed leads to goals where he is near the top of the league the last few years.
Bertuzzi's recent play is good to see. His passing and vision of the ice has exceeded my expectations. But to think he would ever approach Marchand's level is unrealistic IMO

Marchard hasn't been a little ball of hate for a while. You are living on the past.

The game changed.

Bertuzzi was little ball of hate in juniors. But he also knows the game has changed and he has changed his game. Being a ball of hate doesn't lead anything anymore.

Smart players.

What I said, that they have been same kind of role players at same points of their career and the package for that kind of player is kind of same. But I'm 100% sure, Bertuzzi will never reach Marchands Elite level, because the skating is not there. Still I can say they are stylistically same type of players.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
I don't know if all this singling out players is going too well with the team. Maybe a new coach with a different approach would work better for this team because what Blashill is doing doesn't seem to be getting through with the players.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Ooh yeah great job blash. Players need to be better after a blowout. I think we got ourselves a keeper

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
I don't know if all this singling out players is going too well with the team. Maybe a new coach with a different approach would work better for this team because what Blashill is doing doesn't seem to be getting through with the players.

My thought too.

What in the f***?

Now Bertuzzi did have an awful game.
He was doing nothing on the first goal.
He and Larkin got caught covering nobody on the second goal after Toews won the faceoff clean.
And Bert somehow got stuck on the ice nearly a minute longer than AA and Larkin on the third goal and was one of the reasons nobody was moving and that side of the ice got clogged up on XO's neutral zone turnover on goal three.

But this coach never rips a veteran in the media.
Never.

Why is he so quick to rip youngsters (other than Larkin)?

Obe2kenobe

Mar 23, 2014
U.P.
Marchard hasn't been a little ball of hate for a while. You are living on the past.

The game changed.

Bertuzzi was little ball of hate in juniors. But he also knows the game has changed and he has changed his game. Being a ball of hate doesn't lead anything anymore.

Smart players.

What I said, that they have been same kind of role players at same points of their career and the package for that kind of player is kind of same. But I'm 100% sure, Bertuzzi will never reach Marchands Elite level, because the skating is not there. Still I can say they are stylistically same type of players.

Marchand still plays with an edge. He was just suspended 5 games for a elbow to Palmieri. He has cleaned it up some, but that ball of hate isn't going anywhere.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Lil Bert has 0 at +/- Larkin -8 AA -11 . It is funny but the best +/- player on this team is Ericsson +4

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
It's funny that people still feel the need to bag on the guy when he's had a very good season on a not very good team.

Old habits die hard I guess.

He is having a very good season. But he’s still a 30+ year old slow skating bottom pair dman who still gives up bad giveaways sometimes.

It just shows how bad he really was 2-3 years ago

turkleton85

Dec 12, 2017
Blashhill at his best again. I never heard him saying anything about helm when he his stretch of brutal giveaways that led to goals. I don't think that singling out players officially really works well in the longrun. Even if a young player says he understands where the coach is coming from (like mantha), it must feel like getting stabbed in the back. This needs to be addressed in 1 on 1 talks, by the leaders of the team like Z and kronwall, and the coach.

He doesn't reach his team anymore, so he chooses other channels

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Blashhill at his best again. I never heard him saying anything about helm when he his stretch of brutal giveaways that led to goals. I don't think that singling out players officially really works well in the longrun. Even if a young player says he understands where the coach is coming from (like mantha), it must feel like getting stabbed in the back. This needs to be addressed in 1 on 1 talks, by the leaders of the team like Z and kronwall, and the coach.

He doesn't reach his team anymore, so he chooses other channels

Look at one of Blashill's mentors. Who is he beating up in Toronto all year?

Kadri and Bozak are having terrible campaigns, people hate Uncle Leo's usage.

Guess who he grills in the media.... Marner and Nylander. This isn't unique. I am not sure why guys do it, but it seems popular. Julian is after Galchenyuk, coach Q seems angry with Connor Murphy when other on his team are playing worse. I know it is popular to think this is another indictment of Blashill, but it is prevalent within the pantheon of coaches we consider among the very best in the sport.

I am a little tired of it. The message isn't sinking in, if you don't like it press box them. Helm should be getting crushed by everyone around the team, guy has been our most disappointing player all year.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
Look at one of Blashill's mentors. Who is he beating up in Toronto all year?

Kadri and Bozak are having terrible campaigns, people hate Uncle Leo's usage.

Guess who he grills in the media.... Marner and Nylander. This isn't unique. I am not sure why guys do it, but it seems popular. Julian is after Galchenyuk, coach Q seems angry with Connor Murphy when other on his team are playing worse. I know it is popular to think this is another indictment of Blashill, but it is prevalent within the pantheon of coaches we consider among the very best in the sport.

I am a little tired of it. The message isn't sinking in, if you don't like it press box them. Helm should be getting crushed by everyone around the team, guy has been our most disappointing player all year.

Its funny, I was just thinking about how this clearly shows how much of a better coach was than all of these guys including Babs. When Scotty called you out, your play improved, and he had no qualms calling out vets and stars.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
What a statement game from Bertuzzi against Montreal. He just did every small things right. Scored a goal after his own screen, assisted a goal after winnin a lose puck, did block shots, and went after an opponent who took some liberties against his Captain.

Reactions: Christien

FrolundaRedWings

Feb 27, 2017
What a statement game from Bertuzzi against Montreal. He just did every small things right. Scored a goal after his own screen, assisted a goal after winnin a lose puck, did block shots, and went after an opponent who took some liberties against his Captain.
He looks like hes starting to find his groove with the club. Hope to see him continue getting more comfortable and playing in our top 6 next year.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
He would be on pace for 40 points in a full season right now, so pretty good start. I would like to see him mix it up more physically/be more of a pest at times but he knows his role. Its been a while since the wings have had a rookie that would go after someone for hitting a star like Bertuzzi did tonight, too bad Hudon wouldnt fight or Bertuzzi would've had a Gordie Howe hatrick. Bertuzzi might not be really fast but he seems like a beast when he forechecks. Very disruptive and good enough with the puck to create chances out of it

Reactions: Frk It

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad