Athanasiou (extra)

Ansar Khan ‏@AnsarKhanMLive 3m3 minutes ago

#RedWings defense pairs at practice:
DeKeyser-Marchenko
Smith-Green
Ericsson-Ouellet
Sproul (extra)
Kronwall is not skating.

Lol Blashill sorry but Sheahan in the top 6 this is just wrong he's a bottom 6 Center/Winger at best. Sheahan and Nyquist need to be switched here. And that defense looks pretty bad with Kronwall not out there.

Yzerman1919*

Feb 10, 2013
No surprises

Ansar Khan ‏@AnsarKhanMLive 5m5 minutes ago

#Redwings lines at practice:
Tatar-Nielsen-Zetterberg
Abdelkader-Larkin-Sheahan
Nyquist-Helm-Vanek
Ott-Glendening-Miller
Athanasiou (extra)

Ansar Khan ‏@AnsarKhanMLive 3m3 minutes ago

#RedWings defense pairs at practice:
DeKeyser-Marchenko
Smith-Green
Ericsson-Ouellet
Sproul (extra)
Kronwall is not skating.

Holy slower than a snail's pace!

I'm super excited to see Sheahan on the PP. I hope they pretty much told him let loose with that shot!

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Lol Blashill sorry but Sheahan in the top 6 this is just wrong he's a bottom 6 Center/Winger at best. Sheahan and Nyquist need to be switched here. And that defense looks pretty bad with Kronwall not out there.

I'm guessing he's there in part to help Larkin with the faceoff load. Abby and Nyquist don't take faceoffs.

Nice to see Zetterberg on the wing, at least to start. Though it should still probably be 2nd line.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
I can already see teams game planning to forecheck very aggressively against our bottom pairing.

Yzerman1919*

Feb 10, 2013

I THINK it might work. Larkin can possess the puck with his agility, Riley can possess the puck with his size. Abby is going to be retrieving plenty of pucks for those two. Sheahan has great passing ability to get it to Larks. Sheahan can shoot better than almost anyone on this team, he just doesn't do it often. This might give him a chance to be more offensive as Larkin will draw more attention and hopefully leave him a bit more open.

We'll see! If it doesn't work, I agree though. I'd put Nyquist+Vanek on Larkin's wings.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
It looks like we've gone back to the 1-3-1 PP we had a lot of success with 2 years ago. I imagine he's going to be playing on his off wing and being told to use that shot of his that doesn't come out often enough. He's got a wicked wrister, and can one-time the puck realgud too.

That and winning battles for the puck in the corner.

Maybe Nyquist can relinquish some of his PP magic.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014

I'm really excited to Sheahan playing on the wing in the top 6. He has all the tools to be effective there; he is great along the boards, bullet of a shot, and is a solid passer. For whatever reason it hasn't all come together for him yet but maybe playing with a center like Larkin who really controls the game will get a more consistent performance out of Sheahan. Hopefully he is able to put it all together later on in his career like Franzen.

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan

with the way kronwall played last year on bad knees, the defense is arguably better without him in the lineup

TheRatPoisoner

Feb 23, 2015
Not another fire holland thread? Does not compute.

Anywho, blots fans are throwing some serious shade on this line up in their pre game thread. Not that they're wrong or anything, but all the more reason to hope the wings pull off the upset here just so I can have a good laugh at all the whining on the Lightning board post-game.

Here's hoping blash figured out how to manage ice time over the off season. Also would have liked to see sproul, if for no other reason than curiosity.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
The top line is soft as butter and the 2nd line has all the physical tools.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
At this point in their careers absolutely. I don't think Smith is as bad as every likes to think, and Kronwall is a shell of his former self.

Smith isn't bad, he just lacks hockey IQ. He's a classic tools with no toolbox guy. It's what makes him so frustrating.

Smith was 5th in ES/TOI, one second ahead of Ericsson. He got 61% of the offensive zone starts.

There's always the possibility Kronwall's knees are even worse but if they're the same as last season he's certainly better than Ericsson and Ouellet and still better than Smith.

Though admittedly it's a sad state of affairs when you have to choose between a hobbled Kronwall and Brendan Smith to eat up top minutes.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
AA "made" the team alright. He just won't be on the ice on Thursday.

If the Wings didn't bring back Helm, I would have had Z center the third line and put AA where Z was.

Nielsen
Larkin
Z
LGD

Plus Z has good chemistry with Nyquist.

That could give you a real chance to have 3 scoring lines.

Probably put Sheahan and Gator on separate lines too.

Unfortunately any third line where Helm is your 3C looks like crap.

Defensive pairings look abysmal, but it doesn't matter who you put where. It's just rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

Prediction 3-1 Tampa.

Tampa has a PHD in how to beat Detroit.

Last edited:

Huddy*

Aug 6, 2009
Bloomfield Hills, MI
Sure glad Hockey is back! After seeing some pre-season mock standings and expert picks, I still have to "LOL" at some predictions that these "analysts" put out. Some I agree with, and some are just flat out off their rocker. Ok, so we don't have the best D, no superstar in their prime, and a semi-proven goalie, who looks like he will keep improving. However, after looking at majority of teams depth, the Wings actually boast FOUR good lines that are easily interchangeable, while some teams that are picked much higher to do better, have a great line, a good line, then a bunch of unknowns. Without getting too much into what team has what, I am in the minority that think the Wings, if they can stay healthy, have a real good shot at being better than decent. I am not so quick to write them off just yet. As for now, I like what I see. HOLLAND: GO GET TROUBA ;)

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Sure glad Hockey is back! After seeing some pre-season mock standings and expert picks, I still have to "LOL" at some predictions that these "analysts" put out. Some I agree with, and some are just flat out off their rocker. Ok, so we don't have the best D, no superstar in their prime, and a semi-proven goalie, who looks like he will keep improving. However, after looking at majority of teams depth, the Wings actually boast FOUR good lines that are easily interchangeable, while some teams that are picked much higher to do better, have a great line, a good line, then a bunch of unknowns. Without getting too much into what team has what, I am in the minority that think the Wings, if they can stay healthy, have a real good shot at being better than decent. I am not so quick to write them off just yet. As for now, I like what I see. HOLLAND: GO GET TROUBA ;)

I am with you, i think we will do much better than some think

borisbadenough

Mar 25, 2013
with the way kronwall played last year on bad knees, the defense is arguably better without him in the lineup

true..he was-21

He would probably be ok on a third, maybe second pair with somebody who could cover and play d. But who would that be? The Wings sure do seem to love those average offensive defenseman types who seem to be confused with the defensive side of the game. At this point bring up Brain . I could live with a -2 in 75 games from a third pair stay at home guy who can play pk.:laugh: There are at least two d men on this team who will not do that.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
I hope Dylan Larkin scores 80 points.
And Mrazek plays like he deserves a Brodeur contract.
They're good, young players, and I have no problem rooting for them.

Not sure how insightful that is, but I definitely wouldn't call it trolling.

The only players I'm really rooting for are Larkin, Mrazek, and the rest of young guys. I'm at the point where I don't give a **** about the team, only the players

I cant bring myself to root for another team, but deep down I'm kinda hoping for the streak to end

aar000n

Oct 16, 2006
I just can't stand the direction Detroit continues to head in, and several posters have encouraged me, rather than raging against a storm I can't control, to start rooting for something realistic.

So I'm hoping Yzerman gets rewarded for the approach he's taking as general manager, and Tampa gets him a ring. I mean, between the Stamkos shuffle and the Kucherov swindle...thumbs up to The Captain.

The fact that a victory tomorrow night starts Detroit at 0-1, in a year where I hope the streak ends, is just gravy.

Someone who flip flops because his team is doing crap. :shakehead As a lifelong Lions fan I can respect that. or can I?

Lets see what happens. I would like AA in for sheham, or helm, or Glendening or miller.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
Whatever I think of our offseason, I can't help but be excited for the real games to start. Here's hoping the team shatters my expectations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad