Pre-Game Talk: Wings at Sharks, Thursday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Abdelkader is good enough to play on line 2, but not good enough to take Clearys spot as the net front guy on the 2nd PP unit?

What the **** is the logic there?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I hope these lines change by tomorrow... Because that 2nd line is awful, and the 2nd PP is awful.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Just checked the standings......and crap if that doesn't tell the whole story.

We're actually in "7th" under the wild-card system, but only 3 points ahead of CAR/NYR/OTT in 9th now. Furthermore, we're now 7 and 8 points behind MON and TBL for 2nd and 3rd in the division so it's going to be tough to over-take them and get out of the wild card spot.

Right now, if we make the playoffs its almost certainly as one of the Wild Cards, and we're staring down the barrel of a 1st round matchup against Boston or Pittsburgh.

I do not get the playoff format this year. Anyone wants to explain it?

dj4aces

An Intricate Piece of Infinity
Dec 17, 2007
Duluth, GA
I do not get the playoff format this year. Anyone wants to explain it?

First three spots in each division is a guaranteed playoff spot. Last two playoff spots are wild cards, and anyone in the conference could concievably grab one of them. Which technically means we're 7th in the conference, aside from any factors (such as points a "playoff team" in a different division has). Conference standings are meaningless, though, unless you're determining wild card position.

Still a berth based on tie-breakers of the past (so a team with equal points but more wins will always get a higher seed).

In the event that two teams from the same division clinch the wild card spots, one team will play (for the purpose of the playoffs only) in the other division. So, Detroit could concievably end up playing Philadelphia in the first round and the Rangers in the second before facing off against the Leafs in the conference final (all examples).

Currently, Detroit is 4th in the division with 48 points, with Toronto behind us by one point. At this time, both Detroit and Toronto hold the wild card spots.with Ottawa (46pts), Washington (46pts) and Carolina (45pts) each within striking distance of usurping either or both of Detroit and Toronto from the wild card position.

Which means we need to turn it on in a big way, and not screw up with teams breathing down our necks. Once you're out, getting back in is tough.

This explanation has been brought to you by Detroit Medical Center. For those moments when your head is getting ready to explode.

Last edited:

Number 9*

The standings are getting tighter! These next 4 games are the most critical this season. They just can't give away points.

Kyleftlx

twitter*****/kyle_ftl
May 9, 2010
Michigan!
Sad when we're so tired of Cleary that we want Abby to replace him on the PP. But really, Abdelkader has been good lately... 4 points in 5 games. He's having a much better year this season than he had all of last year playing with Datsyuk. I really am starting to kind of like his game a bit more, he's becoming more of a Dan Cleary type of player that can play on line 1 or line 4 and not be absolutely awful. If only Dan Cleary was still a Dan Cleary type of player.

I am not saying Abby belongs on a top line, but he's definitely not having a terrible year considering how bad Detroit started the season offensively. His numbers are coming around, and especially lately he's been producing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad