Confirmed with Link: Wings announce Roster & Taxi Squad

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
I still think that waivers only apply to the initial move to the taxi squad, then free movement from taxi to bigs and back is free range.

edit: Because teams would be afraid to use it and the number of back to backs, free movement is almost required
Pretty sure this is right^. Otherwise, they're solving one problem & creating another or at least a roadblock/speed bump.

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
Pretty sure this is right^. Otherwise, they're solving one problem & creating another or at least a roadblock/speed bump.
Another side to this: Teams may move higher paid players to the taxi squad on off days, then back on game day, to save cap space (heard this on a podcast)

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Another side to this: Teams may move higher paid players to the taxi squad on off days, then back on game day, to save cap space (heard this on a podcast)

They can, but I'm pretty sure those guys still have to pass through waivers in order to go to the taxi squad, so you do run the risk of loosing the player if they are good (ie. not talking about Neilsen).

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
They can, but I'm pretty sure those guys still have to pass through waivers in order to go to the taxi squad, so you do run the risk of loosing the player if they are good (ie. not talking about Neilsen).
I don't think so, only if passed to the AHL
"According to CapFriendly, taxi squads will consist of four to six players and must include at least one goaltender, unless the NHL club is carrying three goaltenders on their roster. Waiver rules would still apply if the team wants to send them to the AHL and the salary-cap implications would count as if the players were being buried in the minors (buried cap hit)."

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
I don't think so, only if passed to the AHL
"According to CapFriendly, taxi squads will consist of four to six players and must include at least one goaltender, unless the NHL club is carrying three goaltenders on their roster. Waiver rules would still apply if the team wants to send them to the AHL and the salary-cap implications would count as if the players were being buried in the minors (buried cap hit)."

According to CBC

Players who clear can be assigned to AHL affiliate or taxi squad of 4-6 players. Vancouver winger Loui Eriksson and Montreal forward Corey Perry were among the players placed on waivers by their NHL clubs Monday as teams worked to get their rosters in order before the start of the season.

Is there anyone on our taxi squad who didn’t pass through waivers? (Not including those waivers exempt)?

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Every team has at least one high paid player that nobody is going to claim, Nielsen for the Wings, TJ for TBL, etc. Also, they can only bury $1.075M of the salary (same as AHL), so it's not gonna help that much....

Islanders: Why taxi squad won't be huge salary cap tool (eyesonisles.com)

kliq

Dec 17, 2017

opivy

Sauce King
Sep 14, 2011
Columbus, OH
I bought it, they put on a season this year knowing they were going to lose a LOT of money. Hockey needs support and I'm not going to let something petty like my favorite team make me not support hockey as a whole.

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
According to CBC

Players who clear can be assigned to AHL affiliate or taxi squad of 4-6 players. Vancouver winger Loui Eriksson and Montreal forward Corey Perry were among the players placed on waivers by their NHL clubs Monday as teams worked to get their rosters in order before the start of the season.

Is there anyone on our taxi squad who didn’t pass through waivers? (Not including those waivers exempt)?
I think that once your roster and taxi squad is set (waivers or not), players can be moved up or down between them freely. New waivers will be needed to move new players on or off the TS or roster, or to the AHL.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
I think that once your roster and taxi squad is set (waivers or not), players can be moved up or down between them freely. New waivers will be needed to move new players on or off the TS or roster, or to the AHL.

I havent seen that anywhere, everything I've heard and read indicates that this is not the case including what I posted.

If you have seen something to the contrary, can you post?

Last edited:

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Why two goalies on the Taxi Squad?

If I had to guess:

-Extra insurance considering they don't need to send any goalies to GR until AHL camps open up on 1/31
-Gives them some extended time practicing with the big club so they can get acclimated with the Wings systems/coaching/etc. and for the coaches/SY to get more time to figure out which one will eventually start in GR and which will stay on the TS

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
I havent seen that anywhere, everything I've heard and read indicates that this is not the case including what I posted.

If you have seen something to the contrary, can you post?
According to the Montreal Gazette "Players can move freely between the taxi squad and the NHL roster, but call-ups must be made prior to 5 p.m. on game day." I don't believe you need waivers or be injured to move back and forth after the season starts.

If you think about it, why have a taxi squad if the playerrs can't move up and down freely'

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
According to the Montreal Gazette "Players can move freely between the taxi squad and the NHL roster, but call-ups must be made prior to 5 p.m. on game day." I don't believe you need waivers or be injured to move back and forth after the season starts.

If you think about it, why have a taxi squad if the playerrs can't move up and down freely'
exactly what I was referring to in post #51

kliq

Dec 17, 2017

Yes, Taxi Squad players can move freely IF there is an injury/covid issue. But to move other players to the squad (ie. Nielsen) they need to pass through waivers. You can't just pass anyone back and forth at any time.

At the moment we have 6 designated taxi squad players, Chowolski, Rasmussen, Lindstrom, Smith, Boyle, and Pickard. The first four are waiver except, Pickard and Boyle are not so they had to pass through waivers to be put on the taxi squad on January 11th. From here forward, if someone on our roster is unable to play, any of these guys can play for them. If the Wings wanted to put say Neilsen on the squad and permanently bring up one of the kids, they would have to pass Nielsen through waivers first, then add (say Pickard) to the main roster. Then if they wanted to bring Nielsen back to the main squad, they would have to waive Pickard (or someone else) to do it.

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
Yes, taxi squad players can move freely if need be, regular roster players cannot until they pass through waivers first and get put on the taxi squad.
Murph said something about waivers to the taxi squad being good for 10 games or 30 days during last night's broadcast

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->