Confirmed with Link: Wings acquired D Alex Biega

Christien

May 1, 2010
Not a whole lot of roster spots for Pope down in GR, especially a spot for a scorer like him. The thing I'm wondering is how does Biega fit into GR? We have lots of pretty good defencemen down there atm

lhsgolf19

Oct 4, 2016
Birmingham, MI
So we traded a healthy scratch for GR for a potential depth defenseman?

Had 16 Points in 41 Games last year but was put on waivers by Vancouver... We'll see

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
His nickname is BullDog !! I like this for the nickname alone. RHS, 5'10", 187lbs., paced for 32pts/82gp last season. 30 yr.old, GR or Wings #6/7?

Some quotes from Canucks fans: "hard worker every shift/game" "fan favorite" "will outmuscle opponents" "he will be greatly missed" apparently "Wings won that trade"

"An absolute coup for the Red Wings. Biega is a fantastic d-man and will find a home on your bottom pairing and can easily fill in the top 4 if injuries occur. "

How is he defensively?

WesNichols14

Nov 22, 2011
Port Huron Michigan
We wanted a GM that would make moves. And we got a GM who makes moves.

Good luck to David Pope, our prospect depth was too thick to really give him a fair shake after the college signings last year. Hopefully he gets a shot in Vancouver.

Reactions: Reddwit

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
upload_2019-10-7_0-25-53.png

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
You guys will love him. He should have been our #5 defender for the past 3 years but the team signs overpriced garbage every summer that he ends up badly outplaying when he finally gets a regular look mid-season.

Excellent skater, hits like a truck despite his size, puts up a lot of ES points and a *ton* of pucks toward the net, is solid defensively and a great leader.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Canucks fans are talking about what a steal we got. Truth is, I see him struggling to even get in the lineup on a regular basis, and our blueline is nothing special so to me that says something. I mean he isn't replacing DDK, Green, Nemeth, Hronek or Cholowski, so that leaves one spot available which I presume right now belongs to Bowey.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Canucks fans are talking about what a steal we got. Truth is, I see him struggling to even get in the lineup on a regular basis, and our blueline is nothing special so to me that says something. I mean he isn't replacing DDK, Green, Nemeth, Hronek or Cholowski, so that leaves one spot available which I presume right now belongs to Bowey.

it's more just that we got him for essentially nothing I guess

Pope has a long way to go to even be an effective AHL player let alone an NHL guy and he's 25 now so can't afford this sort of slow adjustment anymore

it's extremely unlikely that he ever even plays a single NHL game at this point and I say that as someone that was pretty high on him going into last year so I guess even getting a depth player in return for him is something of a "steal"

masta8

Apr 26, 2018
Likely will get a look with this injury to Daley. I hope Bowey gets the first chance though.

Reactions: hkydave04

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Sad to see Biega go, hope he gets a a shot to play regular minutes with you guys.

Should have played over Gudbranson & Poullot all year but it is what it is.

What exactly did we get back in Pope?

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Sad to see Biega go, hope he gets a a shot to play regular minutes with you guys.

Should have played over Gudbranson & Poullot all year but it is what it is.

What exactly did we get back in Pope?

big Winger with a good shot

had a very underwhelming first few years after being drafted but then improved a bunch his last couple years of college

then he had a very underwhelming first year as a pro and he's already 25 at this point so he doesn't really have time to figure it out anymore,he pretty much needed to hit the ground running on his pro career considering how long it took him to get there(post draft year in the BCHL and then 4 years in the NCAA after that) and he just....didn't

orcatown

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Biega has stepped in and provided strong minutes for the Canucks. Brings it all the time and is very much a leader. Hope he sticks b/c he will be a pain in the ass to play against for our Utica farm team.

Yzerman versus the truly dull Benning just isn't fair.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
big Winger with a good shot

had a very underwhelming first few years after being drafted but then improved a bunch his last couple years of college

then he had a very underwhelming first year as a pro and he's already 25 at this point so he doesn't really have time to figure it out anymore,he pretty much needed to hit the ground running on his pro career considering how long it took him to get there(post draft year in the BCHL and then 4 years in the NCAA after that) and he just....didn't

So AHL:er at best?

Ratatoskr

May 27, 2004
Germany
That means they're really set on leaving Seider to develop in GR for the season, if they'd rather trade for Biega than calling Seider up for injury replacement, right?

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

It's possible to commit no mistakes and still lose
Nov 2, 2018
That means they're really set on leaving Seider to develop in GR for the season, if they'd rather trade for Biega than calling Seider up for injury replacement, right?

Probably better for his development at this point in the season. If they call him up he would be on the third pair behind Hronek and Green. Letting him eat up minutes in GR gives him time to curb the learning curve, so when he is called up he will be ready to out play those guys and move up the lineup.

Reactions: NickH8

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->