Confirmed with Link: Wings acquire Robby Fabbri for Jacob De La Rose

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Yzerman absolutely fleeced STL in that trade.
Let's keep in mind that Fabbri was a spare part for the Blue, he had 1 goal in 10 games in the playoffs last season, so they basically won the Cup without him. So a spare part on a Stanley Cup team is a superstar on a basement team.

You figure Armstrong shopped him around, and nobody else wanted him. He does make some strange deals though, as I mentioned the TJ Oshie trade was another very lopsided trade. But whatever, he won a Cup.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I had heard that Oates was traded, in part, due to a relationship with GM/coach's daughter or something like that. Is there any truth to that?

I've heard a few rumors. Oates didn't like playing second fiddle to Yzerman, Oates had some off-ice issues that the organization didn't want to deal with, etc. Whatever the reasons, it always seemed to revolve around Oates being unhappy. At this point, I'm not sure anyone really knows.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

2xJack

Apr 19, 2019
I've heard a few rumors. Oates didn't like playing second fiddle to Yzerman, Oates had some off-ice issues that the organization didn't want to deal with, etc. Whatever the reasons, it always seemed to revolve around Oates being unhappy. At this point, I'm not sure anyone really knows.

Mitch Albom wrote an article on this topic in late 1990. There were rumors of drug use. Possibly that was a whispered explanation for an obviously terrible and lopsided trade, or maybe there were some who really believed it. What Oates did readily admit to was quite a bit of partying. To quote Oates from the article:

“I was a single guy here. I went out a lot. So what? I never abused myself. I never went out the night before a game.

Oates denied drug use and Albom backed him. I have no reason to think Oates was lying about it. However, Probert was on that team, as was Klima. Both were big partiers, heavy drinkers, and Probert of course was into cocaine. Klima and Probert were disciplined for their drinking problems at the start of the 88-89 season. My assumption is that the front office was aware of the activities this group was up to and decided to change the culture. Oates was traded first. Klima followed him in the Murphy for Carson deal. Probert was the one they decided to hang on to.

There's no doubt in my mind that this was the primary motivation to trade Oates. They traded the "reckless" young partier for the aged, steady veteran. While we did not win the Cup until 97, the reality is the team was not that far off during the 1987-1989 era. We went to the conference finals in 87 and 88. Years later, Messier and other members of that Oilers dynasty talked about how Detroit was much closer to toppling them than people realized at the time. We were giving them all they could handle. Management was trying to clean up the off ice issues and tinker just enough to get the roster over the top. Of course, it was not to be, for a while yet anyway. The team actually regressed quite a bit. Murray was brought in and got us going in the right direction, and Bowman put on the finishing touches.

cjeagle

Jul 10, 2016
Chicago
You obviously aren’t wrong but it feels weird to say the Oates trade was just “more than a decade ago” when it happened more than three decades ago at this point.

Corrected. I remember that trade as a very young kid and still feel the sting of it, so it feels a lot closer than 3 decades. I am getting old I guess.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
For those who didn't watch the game last night (or read the GDT), Fabbri was out there throwing checks with the team down 2 goals. The kid has a lot of heart, just wants to win.

Also, Oates is so freakin' uptight, it's hard to imagine him as a partier. I watched him coach the Caps, looked like he has a stick up his butt. Probably an old wood one, not composite.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Let's keep in mind that Fabbri was a spare part for the Blue, he had 1 goal in 10 games in the playoffs last season, so they basically won the Cup without him. So a spare part on a Stanley Cup team is a superstar on a basement team.

You figure Armstrong shopped him around, and nobody else wanted him. He does make some strange deals though, as I mentioned the TJ Oshie trade was another very lopsided trade. But whatever, he won a Cup.
Not necessarily true

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
I've been raising beers to this trade for about a week, but this morning I started having doubts. Did we just trade Lafreniere/Byfield for Robby Fabbri? I know I shouldn't think like that, but was this effectively a band aid?! Are we not getting sutures?!

Reactions: Ulysses31

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I've been raising beers to this trade for about a week, but this morning I started having doubts. Did we just trade Lafreniere/Byfield for Robby Fabbri? I know I shouldn't think like that, but was this effectively a band aid?! Are we not getting sutures?!

I'm quite sure we'll lose enough even with Fabbri. Still long season ahead.

Lafreniere and Byfield are still percentages only. No guarantees and there's also great players after them.

Reactions: RabidBadger

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012

That's insane. It is a good trade. Robby Fabbri isn't a good enough player to lift us out of the heavy lottery odds by himself. So, us adding a talented player to the talent that we don't have is an unequivocably good thing. It's insane that a thought like this would cross your mind.

Reactions: NotLeddy

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
I'm quite sure we'll lose enough even with Fabbri. Still long season ahead.

Lafreniere and Byfield are still percentages only. No guarantees and there's also great players after them.
That's true. I'd really like to lock in to a top 5 pick, it's one of the few things on my bucket list-as a fan.

If we end up 8th and win the lottery it'll be right back to raising beers so I'm not losing sleep.

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
That's insane. It is a good trade. Robby Fabbri isn't a good enough player to lift us out of the heavy lottery odds by himself. So, us adding a talented player to the talent that we don't have is an unequivocably good thing. It's insane that a thought like this would cross your mind.
He's not good enough to make much difference, and its unequivocally good. That's a contradiction, no?

cjeagle

Jul 10, 2016
Chicago

Early lottery draft picks don't provide guarantees. Just ask Edmonton.

Fabbri is a proven NHLer and is still relatively young. We already know what we are getting from him.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Keep in mind 3 things:
- We still have a chance because Fabbri isn't good enough to get this team into the playoffs
- We still get a pick, even if it's a bit later than what we wanted, and it's a deep draft
- The team still has Raz, Zadina, and Svech in GR so there are more offensive talent coming regardless

Fabbri definitely ruins the tank though, I don't think this team finishes dead last with him on the team. He transformed the second line into something that actually looks like a second line, and got PP1 working.

He makes the team more watchable, just enjoy the games.

WeWentBlues

May 3, 2017
All these Blues fans hoping Fabbri does well and makes the Red Wings better... I'm thinking they didn't witness the 90s and early 2000s.

Although being the defending champ and seeing the Wings as a perpetual bottom dweller probably helps.
Time heals all wounds. The realignment to the Eastern Conference has helped. Those of us wanting to see Fabbri do well is mostly just so we can say "told ya so" to all the Blues fans applauding or finding no fault in the trade.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Keep in mind 3 things:
- We still have a chance because Fabbri isn't good enough to get this team into the playoffs
- We still get a pick, even if it's a bit later than what we wanted, and it's a deep draft
- The team still has Raz, Zadina, and Svech in GR so there are more offensive talent coming regardless

Fabbri definitely ruins the tank though, I don't think this team finishes dead last with him on the team. He transformed the second line into something that actually looks like a second line, and got PP1 working.

He makes the team more watchable, just enjoy the games.

We have seen this before.
A player comes to a new team and gets a fresh start, has something to prove and usually has some great games.
We have a team which is not good.
Our goaltending is still terrible.
Our defence is terrible.
And we have one good (first) line in the making.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
He's not good enough to make much difference, and its unequivocally good. That's a contradiction, no?

more that the Wings are just really bad so it takes a lot to make much of a difference

even after this 3 game winning streak they still have the worst goal differential in the league

Hugh Mongusbig

Mar 7, 2012
Looks like the honeymoon phase is already over for DLR in St. Louis. in the Blues forums, they are all saying he should be press box or AHL after just 2 games of him. 2 games, zero shots. while Fabri has 4 points in 3 games for Detroit. They now know they got absolutely fleeced by Stevie in this one.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Looks like the honeymoon phase is already over for DLR in St. Louis. in the Blues forums, they are all saying he should be press box or AHL after just 2 games of him. 2 games, zero shots. while Fabri has 4 points in 3 games for Detroit. They now know they got absolutely fleeced by Stevie in this one.

That's pretty weird, because the line where DLR plays has been STL best on scoring chances For/Against.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
Fabbri doesn't move us bottom spot... If we are the worst team, we are the worst with or without him. Maybe he helps us get an extra win or two during the season but that's just bad luck. Fabbri isn't a franchise changer, but he has the potential to be a good player for us for the future. We could finish dead last and still not pick first, Yzerman knows this so you continue to add talent. Nothint is guaranteed anymore, this is the right approach. You can't bomb the entire year and leave the team as it stands and hope to magically turn it around and have everyone develop a winning attitude over a summer of training.. It's a process.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad